The Badin bulletin. online resource (None) 1918-1920, May 01, 1919, Image 9
Relief Department Report for March, 1919 Balance on hand, March 1 $1,099.43 Dues from employees for the 389.00 ^Wount paid in by the Company 389.00 Total assets $1,877.43 Disbursement a p . Colored White aims paid for sickness and accident $270.76 $142.31 ®ath claims paid 100.00 Total disbursements 513.07 Balance on hand, March 31, $1,3G4.3G J. H. Devereaux Relief Agent Band and Orchestra Mosher, bandmaster and in- saxophone; H. L. cor cornet and violin; R. H. Lefler, "^ssse Cox, cornet; Homer Cox, '^"fnet' Carl King, ’ B. R. Fuller, cornet; Mack 'larf Hallie C. Morris, S_ r ^arl Ferrel, clarinet; IJrooks L p* *^*arinet; J. F. Dermid, clarinet; and ’ olJoe; A. D. Howell, flute Phone’ K- C. Richards, tenor saxo- phofigl J^arry Smith, baritone saxo- A. J ’p. Howell, B-flat baritone; string bass; Edward Culp, ^one-^ rp tuba; P. P. Reese, trom- Hatie’y ’ trombone; H. W. ; A. T. Swunner, trom- ^aller ^^®yer.s, alto horn; M. G. Misg g horn; F. E. Dry, alto horn; preen, piano; Miss Louise Frank Graham, drums ^’’aps; Reynolds, drums and ^illin^ ' snare drum; 15. J. trombone. ®®®ball Season Opens aftr**^^^" sea.son opened Wednes- Ktimc beinK , ®’*r, ® Electrodes vs. the Big ■).|^'asti(; "^'^'’®®‘'*ed by a larRC and en- scocg of fans and fanette.s. ^troijgg ® favor of the With fi? >noun(l for the Elcc- Suiij^ ® •■eiiable Lee a.s back- W?** for t.j,*'*' P'tched the first two in- tjijV up Four, the Electrodes ' * ®outh* '** second, when Paw of jfrent promise went in, and held the Carbon bunch to four hits, one run resulting. Belk was behind the bat for the Big Four, and caught in his sterling style. Liles’ pitching was the feature of the game, he striking out eleven men, and yielding three hits in seven innings. The league consists of four teams: The Electrodes, Big Four, Office Men, and Merchants. A number of very in- The Original Pioneer Well, here he is at last—the original pioneer! Up to the present writing, the man who has the longest record in the history of the development of the Yad- THOMAS A HARRIS kin River power is Thomas A. Harris, who is a very genial and wholehearted fellow—tho you might not get that idea of him from the accompanying snap shot picture. As early as 1900, Tom was involved with the Yadkin, for in this year we find him working with Dr. Dillon Brown, who was the first man to sur\-ey land along this river for the purpose of de veloping its power. From 1905 to 1908, he was engaged in construction work in the employ of the Whitney Company. Next he was with the Yadkin River Power Company in tran.smission work for a considerable time. He joined the forces of the Southern Aluminium Com pany (L’Aluminium Francais) in Octo ber, 1912, continuing with them until the Tallassee Power Company assumed con trol in 1915, and going on under the new regime up to the present. This is a record of continuous service that is, so far as we know, unsurpassed. Tom assures us that he has not missed a day’s pay from the Tallassee Power Company and its predecessor the South ern Aluminium Company, since October, 1912. Badin Boys Back Home Badin was well represented in the One Hundred and Twentieth Regiment, when it paraded in Charlotte on April 16. We know of at least two former Badin boys; and no doubt there were others who were in its ranks. James Livingstone, who worked here as time checker, and later in the electrical department, saw servrce in France with this regiment. He was in Y. M. C. A. work. L. L. Autry, who worked here as a carpenter, was also in its ranks. He was in service overseas with this regiment, and went “over the top” many times. He served as first gunner on a Lewis gun squad, and he is certain that he put at least one Hun out of the running. From this Hun he captured a watch, and a P>ench badge of honor, both of which Mr. Autry now has with him. Athletic Notes On Friday, the eighteenth, the Carbon Plant team had their first practice game, in which they defeated a team from New London. The score was 5 to 2. The bat teries were: Carbon Plant, Liles and Lee; New London, Austin and Ritchie. Despite the cool weather, tennis is growing in popularity. Every afternoon sees the courts occupied, and while it is still early for the form that develops in mid-season the matches are warmly contested. The Racquet Club now has about forty members. Some time during the sum mer, a tournament will be arranged, the trophy to be a handsome cup donated by Holshouser and Howan, of Salisbury. Capt. Wm. B. Given and Mrs. Given are guests in town. They are from Pittsburgh and New York. Captain Given, of the Rainbow Division, distin guished himself overseas with the A. E. F. teresting games will be pulled off at the Tallassee Park. We lift our hat to Tom—he has demon strated that prime quality of character in every real man: steadfastness, reli ability, loyalty. Moreover, he has the sense to recognize a good thing when he finds it; and to stick.