North Carolina Newspapers is powered by Chronam.
Winter, 1990 Volume 35 Number
Newsmagazine for Alumni, Parents and Friends
William A. Krueger School of Graphic
Communications dedicated to pioneer printer
The William A. Krueger School of Graphic
Communications at Chowan College was dedi
cated on Saturday, November 10, in the graphic com
munications building on campus. At the dedication
ceremonies, attended by faculty, alumni, and stu
dents, Mr. Krueger unveiled a plaque which will
hang inside the building in his honor.
Chowan College received the largest cash gift in
the history of college from William A. Krueger, of
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, to endow the School of
Graphic Communications. The Chowan Board of
Trustees announced last year the naming of the W.
A. Krueger School of Graphic Communications in
honor of the donor, who headed one of the nation’s
largest printing companies before his retirement in
1970. A new sign announcing the Krueger School
was constructed in front of the graphic communica
tions building on campus.
Joseph Piemont, president of Bluestone Manage
ment Corporation in Charlotte, N. C., and long time
friend of William Krueger, was the dedication
speaker for the ceremonies. Joseph Parker, of
Ahoskie, whose family assisted in beginning the
school of graphics in *e fifties, thanked Mr.
Krueger, on tehalf of the Chowan College Graphics
Foundation. Frank Edwards, a printer from Rocky
Mount, expressed his appreciation for the gift, saying
it will help prepare students to enter the business of
Steve Laney, a 1981 graduate of Chowan’s school
of graphic communications, who is the materials
manager in the Kansas City office of the printing
company once owned by Mr. Krueger, made inspir
ing remarks. He urged all printing technology
students to work hard to achieve their dreams, saying
he had been “fortunate” to study at Chowan and to
work for Mr. Krueger. It was through Laney that
Chowan’s printing school became known to Mr.
Continued on page 4.
William A. Krueger unveils dedicatory plaque assisted
by his two sons, Lyle and William J. Krueger. Other
members of the family to attend were Krueger’s wife,
Evelyn, and daughter-in-law Candy Krueger.
Founder’s Dav honors Susan Parker Kerr
f iiliil lullll
The annual Founder’s Day Con
vocation at Chowan College
was held on Thursday, October 11.
Founder’s Day ceremonies centered
around the Susan Parker Kerr
gazebo, located to the west of the
McDowell Columns building on the
The convocation included a
tribute to Mrs. Kerr and her family
for varied contributions they have
made to Chowan College. The
college bell sounded the hour for
the dedicatory ceremonies to begin.
Dr. R. Hargus Taylor, assistant to
the president, delivered the Foun
der’s Day message, “What’s in a
Name.” A Litany of Dedication was
presented by Dr. Bruce E.
Whitaker, president emeritus of the
college and long-time firiend of
Susan Parker Kerr. The dedication
was followed by a reception honor
ing Mrs. Kerr in the main parlor of
the Columns Building.
The gazebo, which holds the
original Chowan College bell, is
used on a daily basis by students
and serves as a centerpiece of the
campus for events including musi
cal performances, parents’ recep
tions and other social affairs.
J. Guy Revelle, Jr., senior partner
with Revelle, Burleson, Lee and
Revelle, attorneys in Murfreesboro,
delivered the keynote address on
the Parker legacy. He noted that the
daughter of the late Elwood Whit
tier and Elizabeth (Sewell) Parker,
the honoree—-Susan Parker Kerr—
continues to foster and promote the
spirit of philanthropy which charac
terized her late parents. A partner in
the founding of Riverside Manufac
turing Company (now the Mur
freesboro plant for Georgia-Pacific
Corporation), Elwood Parker and
his wife were instrumental in the
reopening of Chowan College in
1949, following the suspension of
operations at the end of the 1942-43
He influenced later campus
projects and lent financial support
for: construction of the initial
campus housing units for male
students, promotion of and partici
pation in the several capital cam
paigns which were conducted
during President Emeritus
Whiticer’s administration, endow
ment programs, and the undergird-
ing of the annual operating budget
through a long-term loan of per
sonal funds. Parker Hall, a resi
dence hall for men, stands as a
monument to Parker’s memory.
Mrs. Kerr, whose father and
mother died in 1984 and 1990
respectively, is an alumna of
Chowan, class of 1953. She has
continued the tradition of support
for the college initiated by her
parents, making the largest single
financial commitment in the history
of the college.
In her honor, the Susan Parker
Kerr gazebo was constructed on the
alumni green as a monument to her
long-term commitment to the
development of the educational
programs at Chowan College.