North Carolina Newspapers is powered by Chronam.
duke univcusity mc6icM ccntati
VOLUME 21, NUMBER 5.
FEBRUARY 1. 1974
DURHAM, NORTH CAROLINA
17,000 at Duke
Furry Friends Lend a Hand (Hoof?) to Health
Man is dependent on animals for many
of the essentials of life — transportation,
clothing, food and, of course,
But in another way man is indebted to
animals, if not for life itself, then at least
for a healthier and longer life.
Throughout the history of medical
research, scientists have depended on
animal studies to point the way toward
breakthroughs that broaden the horizons
of human health.
Last year, fiscal year 1972-73, over $8
rniHion was spent on animal-related
research, representing one-third of Duke's
total budget designated for research.
Duke has an average daily animal
population of over 17,000. All of the
animals are housed in approximately a
dozen facilities on the Duke campus,
occupying a space of over 113,000 square
Home for a great majority of Duke
research animals is the Central Animal
Care Facility (CACF), better known as
the Vivarium, located in the Research
The use of animals for research and
teaching is coordinated through Duke's
Animal Resource Program. This program
is operated by the Division of Laboratory
Animal Resources (DLAR), an
administrative unit in the office of Dr.
William G. Anylan, vice president for
The DLAR is responsible for the
husbandry and health needs of animals
used for research and teaching. It
supports animal-related research and
teaching activities of not only the medical
center, but also the departments of
psychology and zoology and the Primate
In July of 1972, a new director of the
DLAR, Dr. Joseph L. Wagner, was
appointed to establish and administer
sound animat care programs in support of
biomedical research and teaching
functions. To facilitate compliance with
the Federal Animal Welfare Act of 1966
and NIH Guidelines, Wagner was also
appointed Duke University veterinarian.
Director, veterinarian, and assistant
professor of microbiology and
immunology, Wagner also heads Duke's
Animal Care Committee which consists of
15 members from departments
throughout the university.
The professional staff of the DLAR is
composed of two veterinarians; three
veterinary medical technicians who
provide technical support for the staff; a
supervisor in charge of personnel and
equipment; and a materials and control
supervisor in charge of the transportation,
purchasing and receiving of animals. In
addition, there are 24 people involved in
maintenance, animal care and secretarial
The operations center for the DLAR is
located in the Vivarium. The top floor of
this facility houses research animals
which are kept in mobile cages. There are
not more than two animals of the same
species living in a cage and each of the 44
rooms contains only animals of the same
species. This prevents the potential spread
of communicable diseases between
An automatic watering system is used
in seven of the animal rooms and sterile
conditions are maintained in each of the
four operating rooms with an adjacent
well-equipped X-ray facility. Also
included in the Vivarium are two
necropsy rooms, and a steam autoclave.
The CACF's basic design is a two
corridor system consisting of "clean" and
FAMILY OF ANIMALS—Nubian goat is just one of over 17,000 animals at Duke
used for research and teaching. Last year Duke had an average annual animal
population of over 128,000. All of the animals are housed in a dozen facilities on the
campus, occupying a space of over 113,000 square feet. (Photo by Dale Moses)
"dirty" sides to prevent animals which
have gone through quarantine from
coming into contact with other animals
who are scheduled for surgical
Adequate animal isolation facilities for
cancer-related projects using only
hazardous agents will soon be available
for researchers in Duke's new Animal
Laboratory Isolation Facility (ALIF),
located west of the Vivarium.
As part of Duke's Comprehensive
Cancer Center, the ALIF, presently under
construction, will provide researchers
with the capability of performing
experiments with infectious agents under
Aside from administrative offices
located on the first floor, there is space
available in the CACF for laboratory and
teaching purposes. Medical students and
students in the Physician's Associate
Program attend classes on animal surgery
The departments of surgery ahd
medicine are the largest contributors and
users of this facility. The Hyperbaric
Chamber receives its animals from here
and the Duke Farm.
At the present time, the CACF houses
animals for over 200 investigators from
Duke and the VA Hospital. These
investigators are using the animals to
study such areas of concern as cancer,
diabetes, cardiovascular physiology,
oxygen toxicity and drug dependency.
(Continued on page 3)
Med Center Announces Promotions
Provost Frederic N. Cleaveland has
announced the promotion of 18 faculty
members at the medical center.
Dr. Blaine S. Nashold Jr. has been
promoted to professor of neurosurgery.
Eleven have been promoted to
associate professorships. They are Dr.
Nels C. Anderson, physiology; Warren P.
Bird, medical literature; Dr. Per-Otto
Hagen, experimental surgery; Dr. Dale T.
Johnson, medical psychology; Dr. William
B. Kremer, medicine; Dr. Meivyn
Lieberman, physiology; Dr. M. Stephen
Mahaley, Jr., neurosurgery; Drs. Lome M.
Mendell and Elliott Mills, physiology; Dr.
David W. Schomberg, obstetrics and
gynecology; and Dr. Frances K.
Promoted to assistant professorships
are Drs. J. Gordon Burch, Walter E. Davis
and Peter Gebel, medicine; Dr. Richard F.
Kay, anatomy; Dr. Allen David Roses,
medicine; and Dr. Timothy L. Strickler,
Nashold received his A.B. from
Indiana University in 1943, his M.Sc. in
bacteriology from Ohio State University
in 1944, his M.D. from the University of
Louisville in 1949, and M.Sc. in
neurology-neurosurgery from McGill
University in 1954.
He joined the Duke faculty as an
assistant professor of neurosurgery in
1957 and from 1957-59 was chief of the
Neurosurgery Section at the Durham
Veterans Administration Hospital.
Prior to his arrival at Duke, Nashold
served as an instructor in neuroanatomy
at McGill University and an assistant in
neurosurgery at the Bowman Gray School
of Medicine in Winston-Salem.
Anderson came to Duke in 1968 as
assistant professor in physiology and
pharmacology and assistant professor in
obstetrics and gynecology.
He received his B.A. in biology from
Concordia College, his M.S. in
endocrinology from Kansas State
University, and Ph.D. in
endocrinology-physiology from Purdue
A native of Rochester, N.Y., Bird
received his B.S. degree from Georgetown
University in Washington, D.C. and M.S.
degree from Columbia University's
Graduate School of Library Science in
Bird came to Duke in 1965 as chief of
library systems and communications for
the medical center library. Since 1968 he
has held the positions of visiting assistant
professor at the University of North
Carolina's graduate School of Library
Science, associate director of Duke's
medical center library, and supervisor of
Data Processing Applications for Duke's
Hagen, of Oslo, Norway, received his
B.S. degree in analytical chemistry and
Ph.D. in biochemistry from Watt
University in Edinburgh, Scotland.
Prior to his arrival at Duke in 1970 as
assistant professor of experimental
surgery, Hagan was associate scientist at
(Continued on page 2)
Bill Eubanks Joins
William Eubanks, former manager of
the hospital's branch of Wachovia Bank,
has been named administrator of the
Comprehensive Cancer Center.
Announcement of the appointment came
from Dr. ^W. W. Shingleton, director of
the center and chief of the Division of
His responsibilities will include general
administration of the facility, grant
research and applications, and funding for
the Cancer Center's construction.
Eubanks attended East Carolina
University and majored in business. He
joined Wachovia in 1968, and he has
managed the Duke branch for the past
two years. He and his wife Katherine have
two children, Mandy and Katherine.
Brad Evans, former Duke football and
basketball star, succeeds Eubanks as
(Continued on page 2)