Skip to Content
North Carolina Newspapers

InterCom. online resource (None) 1954-1986, May 03, 1974, Image 1

Below is the OCR text representation of this newspaper page. It is also available as plain text as well as XML.

AUXfLfARY RECOGNITION—\n the photo at left. Dr. William G. Aniyan, vice president for health affairs, and Mrs. James Wyngaarden look over an attractive display created by the cafeteria staff to thank members of the Hospital Auxiliary for their work over the past 12 months and in particular for the $100,000 which the 154-member volunteer organization has pledged toward the building fund of the medical center's “Duke Hospital North." In the photo at above right, volunteers make the rounds at buffet tables in the courtyard dining room before sitting down for the hospital's annual Auxiliary Recognition Dinner held on Wednesday evening of last week. At right, Florrie Jones, one of the group's most popular members, is cornered by the Intercom camera at the reception preceeding the dinner. See page 2 for additional photographs. (Photos by David Williamson) ntattcom duke univcusity mc6icM ccntcR DURHAM, NORTH CAROLINA MAY 3, 1974 VOLUME 21, NUMBER 18 Patterson Heads Cancer Control Dr. F. M. Simmons Patterson, executive director of the North Carolina Regional Medical Program since 1970, has resigned that position to assume directorship of the Cancer Control Program here. He is being succeeded as executive director by Ben Weaver who has been deputy director since 1970. Both his resignation at the Regional Medical Program and his appointment at Duke were effective this week. Patterson has been on the Duke faculty as an assistant professor of surgery since 1968 and as an assistant professor of community health sciences since last year. The Cancer Control Program is the community outreach program of the Comprehensive Cancer Center, which is under the direction of Dr. William Shingleton. The Cancer Control Program will not only emphasize the prevention, early detection and diagnosis of cancer, but also the treatment and rehabilitation of the patients with cancer. The application and distribution of both existing and new knowledge in these categories will be a prominent part of the program. Educational programs, both for the non-professionals and professionals, will DR. F. M. S. PATTERSON be emphasized, as will close relationship and cooperation with all institutions and agencies involved in the field of cancer. One of the initial programs will be the Duke Breast Cancer Demonstration Project of which Patterson will be the project coordinator. Dr. Richard G. Lester, chairman of the Department of Radiology at Duke, is the project director and principal investigator. Five thousand North Carolina women in 16 counties in close proximity to Durham will be screened for early breast cancer in each of the next two years. This Four appointments and eight promotions at the medical center have been announced by Dr. Frederic N. Cleaveland, provost of the university. The appointments and promotions include two full professors, five associate professors and five assistant professors. Apf)ointed were Dr. Lloyd F. Riddick, professor of anesthesiology; Dr. Jane T. Gaede, assistant professor of pathology; Dr. Jonathan P. Leis, assistant professor of experimental surgery; and Dr. Gerald L. Logue, assistant professor of medicine. Receiving promotions were Dr. William N. Kelley to professor of medicine; Dr. William E. Fann to associate professor of psychiatry; Drs. Sung-Hou Kim, Jacqueline A. Reynolds and Lewis M. Siegal to associate professorships in biochemistry; Dr. Ralph Snyderman to associate professor of medicine; Dr. Allan S. Hall to assistant professor of speech and hearing pathology; and Kathryn A. Hesse to assistant professor of nursing. Riddick comes to Duke from the University of Kentucky Medical Center where he served as professor of anesthesiology since 1971. He received a B.S. degree in 1954 and an M.D. in 1958, both from Ohio State University. I^e took internship training at St. Vincent's Hospital in Toledo, Ohio, and completed project will begin on June 1. The facility is located at 3040 Erwin Road, next to the North Carolina Cerebral Palsy Hospital. Patterson is a graduate of the University of North Carolina and the University of Pennsylvania Medical School. Before moving to Durham he was chief of surgery and chief of staff of the Craven County Hospital in New Bern. He has been a consultant to the Duke Tumor Clinic since 1968 and was director of the Cancer Division of the North Carolina (Continued on page 3) a residency in anesthesiology at the U.S. Naval Hospital in Bethesda, Md., in 1963. A 1966 graduate of Duke's School of Medicine, Gaede took internship training at North Carolina Baptist Hospital in Winston-Salem and a residency in surgery at Duke. Before her appointment to the medical center faculty, she was a staff pathologist at the V.A. Hospital in Charleston and assistant professor of pathology at the Medical University of South Carolina. Leis received a B.A. in chemistry from Hofstra University in 1965 and a Ph.D. in biochemistry and molecular biology from Cornell University in 1970. Before coming to Duke, he did post-doctoral work on developmental biology and cancer at Albert Einstein College of Medicine. After earning a B.S. in engineering science from Pennsylvania State University in 1962, Logue attended the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine and received an M.D. in 1966. He completed internship, residency and clinical fellowship in hematology training at Duke between 1966 and 1969, and worked on the hematology staff of Bethesda Naval Hospital prior to his appointment at Duke. Kelley attended Emory University as (Continued on page 3) E. Busse Elected A.G.S. President The chairman of the Department of Psychiatry at the medical center has been elected president of the American Geriatrics Society for 1975-1976 at the society's 31st annual meeting in Toronto, Canada, on Friday, April 19. Dr. Ewald W. Busse, who is also the first J. P. Gibbons Professor of Psychiatry at Duke, will serve as president of the 8,000-member organization for the next 12 months. The American Geriatrics Society is composed of practicing physicians and nurses from throughout the United States and Canada who have a special interest in the problems of the elderly. Serving as president for this year will be Dr. Robert B, Greenblatt, professor of endocrinology at the Medical College of Georgia in Augusta. Busse became chairman of psychiatry at Duke in 1953. He has received awards from numerous professional organizations and has held office in many of them including terms as president of the American Psychiatric Association from 1971-1972 and president of the research oriented Gerontological Society from 1967-1968. In 1971 the American College of Physicians awarded him its highest honor, the William C. Menninger Memorial Award, given in recognition of distinguished contributions to the science of mental health. Busse was also instrumental in the initiation and development of Duke's Center for the Study of Aging and Human Development, a facility which has gained international renown. Appointments, Promotions Moving In and Moving Up

North Carolina Newspapers is powered by Chronam.

Digital North Carolina