North Carolina Newspapers is powered by Chronam.
duke uniucRsity mc6ica.l ccnfett
VOLUME 22, NUMBER 15
DURHAM, NORTH CAROLINA
Duke Holds 50th Birthday Party
Duke University began life in a way that would make an old-time politician
envious. It started in a log cabin.
Here is a short “genealogy” of Duke, and a few notes about the men who
presided over its development.
—1838, farmers organize Union Institute in rural Randolph County. A one-room
log schoolhouse, the Institute is soon "modernized” with a new building
containing two rooms and fireplaces.
—1851, state legislature charters Union Institute as Normal College, qualifying its
graduates to teach school. This may have been the first institution in the South to
be specifically chartered for teaching training.
—1859, Union Institute becomes Methodist-supported Trinity College.
—1861, Civil War begins and "Trinity Guard” organized to keep students in
school as long as possible. Guard puts down anti-secessionist revolts in nearby
—1863, President Braxton Craven resigns and Trinity closes doors two years
later when Civil War ends.
—1866, Craven returns as president of re-opened college.
—1878, Trinity awards first degree to women in North Carolina.
—1892, with assistance from tobacco pioneer Washington Duke, Trinity moves
to Durham under leadership of John Franklin Crowell.
—1894, Dr. John C. Kilgo becomes Trinity president during period of economic
hardship for school. Support from Dukes keeps college solvent.
—1903, "Bassett Affair” sets landmark for academic freedom when Trinity
trustees stand behind professor who praised Booker T. Washington as the
Here is a schedule of some of the
featured events during the university’s
celebration of its 50th anniversary April
Friday, April 11
—2 p.m.. Symposium, "The Report of
the Carnegie Commission on Higher
Education;" Paul M. Gross Chemical
Laboratory Auditorium. Speakers: Dr.
William C. Friday, president. University
of North Carolina; Dr. Allan M. Cartter,
former Duke dean now at UCLA; both
members of the Carnegie Commission.
—8:15 p.m.. Page Auditorium,
Celebration in Music.
Saturday, April 12
—9 a.m., Symposium, “The Roles of
the University in a Post-Colonial
World," Gross Chemical Laboratory
Auditorium. Speakers: John H.
Knowles, president, Rockefeller
Foundation; William D. Ruckelshaus,
attorney, former administrator.
Environmental Protection Agency; H.A.
Oluwasanmi, vice chancellor. University
of Ife, Nigeria.
—3 p.m., Convocation, Duke Chapel.
Presiding, Terry Sanford, president,
Duke University; speakers, Philip
Handler, president, National Academy
of Sciences; Mary D.B.T. Semans, Duke
—8:15 p.m., Jazz Concert, Page
Sunday, April 13
—11 a.m.. Worship Service, Duke
Chapel; Bishop James S. Thomas, Iowa
Area, United Methodist Church,
—2:30 p.m., Concert, Sarah P. Duke
Nursing Program Sees
Honors Given to Many
An alumna, a faculty member and two
students in the School of Nursing were
among those honored during the
annual Spring Nursing Program held on
campus last weekend.
Mildred Crawley McIntyre, B.S.N.
1944 and B.S.N. Ed. 1949, was chosen
as the alumna “whose personal life,
professional achievements and
contributions to the health field
exemplify the philosophy of the Duke
University School of Nursing." A
national leader in cardiovascular
nursing, Ms. McIntyre was one of the
first nurses to be recognized for
membership in the American Thoracic
Society, and she has received an Award
of Merit from the American Heart
She has many publications in
professional journals, and she was
instrumental in establishing the
collaborative role of the cardiovascular
nurse clinician. This is the first year that
the Distinguished Alumna Award has
been presented by the school’s faculty.
Nancy Woods, assistant professor of
nursing, and Susan Bowers, a senior
nursing student, were chosen to receive
the Thelma Ingles Scholarly Paper
Award of the Beta Epsilon Chapter of
the nursing honorary Sigma Theta Tau.
Ms. Woods’ paper was entitled,
“Predicting Sexual Adaptation to
Mastectomy,” and Ms. Bowers spoke
on, “The Challenge of Teaching in the
Adolescent Pregnancy Clinic."
(Continued on page 4)
■greatest man, save General Lee, born in the South in a hundred years. ”
—1910, Dr. William Preston Few, a South Carolinian, becomes Trinity president,
and modern era begins for college.
—1924, in December, James B. Duke signs indenture creating $40-million Duke
Endowment. Duke University, named for Washington Duke, will receive 32 per cent
of income from the endowment. Indenture provides another $6 million for
buildings and land for West Campus. Few becomes first Duke president.
—1930, Gothic west campus of Duke opens for men, who enroll in
undergraduate divisibn named Trinity College. Former Trinity College (East
Campus) becomes Women’s College.
—1940, Robert L. Flowers, who joined Trinity faculty in 1891, t>ecomes Duke's
second president upon death of Few.
—1948, Dr. A. Hollis Edens, who had served as vice chancellor of Georgia's
university system, succeeds Flowers, who retires. Student enrollment reaches
5,000. Academic sophistication advances with such programs as Center for Study
of Aging and Rule of Law Research Center during Edens' regime.
—1960. Edens resigns after an administrative controversy, and Dr. Deryl Hart, a
professor of surgery, succeeds him. Faculty salaries raised into top-level grades for
—1963. Dr. Douglas Knight, president of Lawrence College in Wisconsin,
becomes fifth Duke president.
—1969. Knight resigns during period of student activism, which sees black
students occupy Allen Building. Duke's administrative center.
—1969. former North Carolina Gov. Terry Sanford t>ecomes Duke's sixth and
WINNING WARNINGS — A poster contest sponsored jointly by the Poison Control
Center and the Catholic Daughters of America during recently held Poison
Prevention Week brought three winners from participating Durham schools. First
place winner of a $25 savings bond was Fred Brown, a sixth grade student at W.G.
Pearson School. Susan Chisenhall, a fifth grade student from North Durham
School, and Beverly Brown, a sixth grader at North Durham, won $10 and $5
awards respectively. Other contributions to the almost 100 posters received by the
center came from George Watts and Immaculata schools. Dr. Shirley Osterhout.
clinical director of the center, is shown with the winning posters.