North Carolina Newspapers is powered by Chronam.
Zeta Phi Beta Sorority
Born upon four basic principles, to encour
age the higher standards of scholarship, provide
exceptional community service, display uncondi
tional sisterhood and to exemplify the ideal of finer
womanhood...Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc rose from
“darkness into a bright, brilliant flash of light” 90
years ago, to separate themselves from earlier so
rorities. The Voice interviewed Takesha Bennett,
the president of the Omega Beta Chapter of Zeta
Phi Beta Sorority on the campus of Fayetteville
State University to become more familiar with the
ladies and their organization.
The Voice: As the president of your organiza
tion, what type of programs do you feel are impor
tant to a sorority agenda in addition to a university
agenda and why?
Takesha Bennett: I feel Informational programs
such as drug and alcohol abuse [awareness] are
most important because a lot of students drink
and smoke a lot and are not aware of the harm it
TV; With Hollywood and pop culture sensation
alism taking over the minds of the new generation,
the glamorous image of Greek life, paired with ri
valry between Greek organizations, it seems that
is the only image offered to the public these days.
What is sorority membership truly about to you?
TB: Sorority membership to Zeta Phi Beta So
rority inc. is about sisterhood, community service,
scholarship (academics) and community service.
Every organization has principles, but Zeta Phi
Beta Sorority, Inc. lives by our principles. Our sis
terhood consists of loyalty as well as honesty and
love. We are not affected by others. We are our
selves at all times; we don’t try or care to be like
photo by Angel Robinson
TV: In the past, the mission of the “Divine Nine’’
organizations was primarily geared towards help
ing African-American men and women advance in
the pursuit of higher education and careers. Now
that globalization is being encouraged, has Zeta
Phi Beta, Inc broadened its philanthropy efforts to
TB: Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc accepts all eth
nic backgrounds that would love to be a part of our
TV: What type of programs will Zeta Phi Beta,
Inc implement for the spring 2010 semester? What
goals does your organization wish to accomplish
by implementing these programs?
TB: Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc has had a lot
of programs so far We have had programs about
relationships, women empowerment, programs
about being comfortable in your own skin, a pro
gram about what you put on the internet, student
appreciation, and a program on how to love every
body even if they aren’t like we are.
TV: How does Zeta Phi Beta, Inc maintain their
status as a premier Greek organization?
TB: Our organization obtained our status be
cause we present ourselves like women. Yes, we
have problems but we keep it in our organization
and we don’t have public confrontations with each
other or other people Greek or non-Greek. We
never act as if we are better than anyone else... we
are still human we just have letters.
1) How does Twitter know that the photo you uploaded is “nice"?
2) After the Oscars, don't you wonder what the deal is with these
acceptance speech interruptions?
3) Since Walmart started selling Great Value products, do you
even remember what brand of milk, cheese, or trash bags you
used to buy?
4) Seeing as how they feed you until you can’t breathe...does Hi-
bachi Grill secretly receive a percentage of Gold’s Gym member
5) How in the world did J. Cole blow up before Rain?
6) And when the Fayetteville underground music scene finally
pops off, how many people are going to proudly “reclaim” the city
they never supported in the first place?
7) Isn’t it weird that Republicans are against the Health Care bill
when they’ve been having so many heart attacks lately?
8) If Fayetteville State University opened up a Beauty Supply
Store wouldn’t they make enough money to give everybody free
9) Is it us, or does it seem like the squirrels on campus are more
loud and ghetto than normal squirrels?
10) Why did you get your shoes from Rainbow then hop on Twrtter
talking about how Saks Fifth Avenue had such a great sale?
11) Is it wise to complain about the rise of tuition and fees when
you cut the ‘1’ symbol off of dollar bills to put on your nails?
12) Although we love Forever 21 . ..aren’t we tired of seeing 100
of their mini dresses in the club along with the heels from Shoe
13) Why do you need a parka, snow boots, and ear muffs just to
enter the bathroom in the student center?
14) Will Kanye ever be invited to another awards show?
15) And if he is, won’t it have the highest ratings in history?
16) Now that we’ve seen how dry and stupid Lil Wayne’s tweets
were, aren’t we convinced that he has a very talented ghostwriter?
17) Have you ever noticed that the man who holds up the “Home
less” sign at the Target/PetSmart intersection wears Polo?
18) Does Ms. Treva Bentley know that the term “TrevaMail” ex
19) And couldn’t she make billions off that?
20) Have you noticed how corny Nickelodeon is now?
21) If they are perfectly natural, why do we call earthquakes, hur
ricanes and tsunamis “disasters”?