Skip to Content
North Carolina Newspapers

The Salemite. volume (None) 1920-current, September 06, 1924, Image 1

Below is the OCR text representation of this newspaper page. It is also available as plain text as well as XML.

ALL ABOARD FOR SALEM! Motto; “SAIL ON, SALEM’ EVERYBODY GREETS EVERYBODY Winston-Salem, N. C., September 6, 1924. NEW MEMBERS OF FACULTY SALEM COLLEGE AND ACADEMY Announcement of Nine Appointments to College Faculty and Four to A cademy Faculty Made A t Meeting of Board of Trustees. On August 20, at a called meet ing of the Board of Trustes of Sa lem College, there was made the following announcement concerning new members of the college faculty for 1924-25: Head of the English Department —Dr. Pearl Vivian Willoughby, Charlottesville, Virginia. Dr. Wil loughby is an A.B. graduate of In diana University, graduate student at the University of Minnesota and Leland Stanford University, M.A. ^egree University of Virginia, and ' Ph. D. degree University of Vir ginia. She is one of the very few gwomen to receive the Ph. D. de gree of the University of Virginia, having been in fact the first woman to receive the doctor’s degree from this historic institution; and she is also the first woman elected to the Phi Beta Kappa honor society of the University of Virginia. She ,4comes to Salem College after an '^extended and successful teaching experience in Indiana and Virginia. Head of the Romance Language Department—Dr. Juanita H. Floyd, Evansville, Indiana, Ph. B. gradu ate Chicago University, M.A. de gree Chicago University, graduate ..work Universities of Berlin, Heidel berg and Paris, Ph. D. Columbia University. Dr. Floyd’s teaching experience includes assistant in modern languages at Goucher Col lege, head of modern langu^-'ge de partment at Lebanon College and State Normal College of Missouri. Dr. Floyd is the author of the “Life of Balzac,” published by the Henry Holt Company and reviewed with .■distinction by the Boston Tran script, New York Times, Booh Re view, Bookman, etc. Head of Physical Education De partment—Miss E. Winifred Briggs, Portland, Maine, graduate Sargeant School Physical Education, student Chicago University, B.S. degree Columbia University, assistant in corrective physical education Sar geant Camp, physical director Mt. Allison College for Women, New Brunswick, physical instructor and chief councilor Camp Boulder Point Sinnmer School during the past seven years, and assistant physical director Western Reserve Univer sity. Head of Violin Department— Miss Hazel Horton Read, Middle- I boro, Massachusetts and Danville, Virginia. She is a graduate of the Shattuck School of Violin, Boston, Mass. Miss Read is an experienced teacher, coming to Salem College from her late position as head of the violin department in the Normal College of Mississippi. Miss Read is a brilliant soloist and has had successful experience as an organist and director of student orchestras. She will be welcomed as an impor tant addition to the musical life of this community. Professor of Latin, Assistant English, Endowment and Busmess Secretary — Theodore Rondthaler, A.B. University of North Carolina, instructor University of North Car olina, M.A. Princeton University, student University of Munich Assistant in English and Educa tional Psychology, and Registrar— Miss Marian Blair, Winston-Salem, North Carolina. Student, Sfdem College, A.B. degree Wellesly Col lege, M.A. degree Columbia Univer- 'sity. Miss Blair has done impor tant research work in modern psychology tests and in the fields of student classification. Instructor in Modern Languages —Miss Lillian McAlpine of Susaki, Japan, daughter of Rev. Alpine, missionary of the Southern PrLbyterian Church. Miss McAl- pine is an A.B. graduate of Agnes Lott College, student in voice at Agnes Scott College, Pastor s As- siLnt Presbyterian Church, Staun- ment—Miss Louise Cox, Goldsboro, North Carolina, graduate Salem College Music Department, former teacher Salem College, student in New York City, teacher in the Knox School, Cooperstown, New York, for three years. Instructor in the Piano Depart ment—Miss Harriet Uzzle, Wil son’s Mills, North Carolina, grad uate Salem College Department of Music, teacher Enfield, North Caro lina, student Columbia University. Academy Faculty Additional members of the fac ulty of Salem Academy include the following: English—Miss Margaret Eliza beth Pfohl, Winston-Salem, N. C.; A.B. graduate Salem College, M.A. gree Columbia University. Mathematics—Miss Louise Dav enport, Plymouth, Pennsylvania; A.B. graduate Goucher College, as sistant also in physical education. Assistant House Mother to Mrs. John R. Herndon — Miss Sara Rogan, Cartersville, Georgia. Welcome from Student Government President Discussion Concerning Purpose and Make-Up of Student Council; Regulations in Hand-Book. The Student Self - Government Association extends the warmest of welcomes to the class of 1928 and it is its desire to prove of some service, especially during the first few perplexing weeks of college life. Some one may ask, “What is Student Government?” And for the benefit of those who have never been to college before, we shall ex plain that that the Student Self- Government Association is an organ ization for the advancement and betterment of each member—which includes, of course, every student in the college. The fact of being a member of the Association broad ens and develops one to the extent that she realizes her own responsi bility in upholding the standards and traditions of Salem. The voice of the Student Self- Government Association is embodied in the Student Council, composed of eighteen members elected by vote of the entire student body. Three officers and four representa tives are chosen from the Senior class; two officers and three repre sentatives from the Junior class; and three representatives from each of the two remaining classes. The representatives from the three up per classes were elected last Spring while those from the Freshman class will be chosen as soon as that class has been accorded actual mem bership in the Association. The Handbook very properly may be called the textbook of Student Government, for it contains the constitution, the by-laws, and the regulations of the organization. At the opening of school, each student is presented with a Handbook for her own personal use. Further ex planation of any rule, not fully un derstood, may be obtained fro. ny member of the Council. It is or the utmost importance that everything in the Handbook be thoroughly clear to every student that she may be able to do her part in preserving the true Salem spirit. Again, the heartiest of welcomes to the class of 1928. May this be a happy and successful year for each member. ’ Swimming Pool, Gift of Miss Etta Shaffner, Alumna, Completed Ready for Use in August Y.W.C. A.Greets Old And New Students Meetings Held on Friday Evenings In Living Room or Recreation Room of Clewell Building. Welcome, Freshmen! The Y. W. C. A. is glad that you are here, and although everyone else is probably saying that very same thing, it would be difficult to say just how much greeting and enthusiasm the words contain. The Young Wom an’s Christian Association is here for service, especially during the first few trying days of school and wishes to impress on the mind of every girl that she is a part of the organization and has a definite part in all of its work. It is the Christian organization at Salem to which every girl in school belongs The meetings are held weekly ii the Recreation Room or the Living Room of Alice Clewell Building Friday evenings at 6:30 o’clock. Everyone is cordially invited to be gin coming to the very first of these meetings. In a very short time the Fresh man class will be well organized and will choose two of its members to be representatives on the Y. W. C. A. cabinet and at the same time to act as chairmen of the Publicity Department of the Association. This not only gives the new students a splendid chance of helping with that boundless enthusiasm which is always a marked characteristic of theirs, but also makes for a larger success in the Y. W. C. A. Then, too, there is the “Y” store, concerning which more information will soon be furnished by way of posters and announcements. After several hours of hard study, one is sure to want at ten o’clock a good chocolate bar or some of the other goodies that are kept there. Watch the posters for directions. Again, the warmest of welcomes and the best of good wishes for the class of 1928. Every Salemite is glad to extend such a welcome and knows that in a short time the new girls will be as loyal daughters of Salem as the old girls. Elizabeth Leight, President Y. W. C. A. Historical Sketch Of Salem College Having its foundation in Salem Female Academy established in 1772, the institution which is now Salem College was for a number of years a day school for students of the community until in 1802 a boarding department was added. In 1886, a charter was granted Salem Academy and College which intro duced a strictly collegiate branch. Since 1910, the Academy and Col lege have been maintained as sep arate institutions under the same administrative head and trustees, and several years ago Salem Col lege was classified as an A Class College through membership in the Association of Colleges and Prepar atory Schools in the Southern States. September 10, 1924, marks the be ginning of the one hundred and fifty-fourth year. BUILDING CAMPAIGN DURING THE PAST SEVERAL MONTHS Building Includes President’s House, College Dor mitory, Domestic Science Department, New Bahnson Memorial Infirmary. During the past several months there has been important progress the buildings and renovations and development of the campus. A number of these are as follows: The president’s new residence, which has been rebuilt by the trans formation of what was formerly known as Senior Annex on the up per campus, will be ready for occu pancy about the first of October. This building has been used, since ipletion of the Alice Clewell Building two years ago as a resi dence for faculty members. Society Hall, moved to the north- n part of the upper campus, has been completely rebuilt into a mod- college dormitory with eight double rooms, hot and cold running water in each room, baths, etc., complete. It is now ready for oc cupancy by sixteen college students. Six additional college rooms have been completed in Main Hall and hot and cold running water has been introduced into thirty-nine ;ollege rooms not so equipped. The entire third floor of Main Hall has been rebuilt into a modern and complete domestic science de partment with lecture rooms, diet kitchen, home nursing department, dressmaking and millinery, interior decorating, practice dining room, etc. Two additional lecture rooms have been added in Main Hall for general college purposes. The outdoor gymnasium, tennis courts, and new basketball court with extensive grading, sodding, and walks for the upper campus have been completed ready for use. The new swimming pool, gift of Miss Etta Shaffner, Salem Alumna, ipleted by September 1. The pool is seventy by twenty feet and has shower baths, etc., accompany ing. It is located directly behind the vVlice Clewell Building. The College Extension Building has been remodeled to conform with the prevailing colonial type of arch itecture. The old gymnasium which has been moved to the southeast corner of the upper campus has been re modeled into a student “hut” and will be delivered on September to the Winston-Salem Alumn* branch who will undertake its furnishing and further equiument. South Hall, the Academy build ing, has been repainted, repapered large part, and recarpeted. It ready for use with the opening of the term. The Bahnson Memorial Infirmary is making rapid progress and its completion is expected about the first of November. The former Central School, known also as the Boys’ School, corner of Church and Bank streets, has been requested leased for the growing needs of the Academy department and will be furnished and equipped by the opening date, September 10. A number of the proposed changes were announced at the clos ing of the 1923-24 term. There was no intimation, however, that the renovations and additions were to be so numerous; and it is indeed surprising to note to what extent the aspect of the campus has been im proved. These buildings and reno vations will make for increased effi ciency and increased service on the part of the college. It is interesting to note that with all changes, the colonial type of architecture is pre served and with it the historical dignity that Salem has so long prided itself on. Full Program of Sports Planned for 1924-25 Pauline Hawkins President Athletic Association; Heads of Sport: Chosen During First of Session The Athletic Association is glad to have newcomers at Salem that it automatically makes them members at once, in order that le may miss any of the fun that embership in the organization makes possible and that active terest may be aroused without any preliminary delay. The best way to show such an interest is to come out for sports as soon as the first practice is announced. The purpose of the organization the development and supervision of athletics; the aim is to have every girl in college interested in athlet- Points are awarded for par ticipation in each sport and a white sweater for winning seven points during three'consecutive years. Dur ing the fall, there are inter-class tournaments in basketball and vol ley ball, and tennis is a feature; the winter and early spring there is field hockey; and in the spring, baseball, tennis, and track. Should none of the sports mi tioned above prove of interest, delightful new swimming pool surely will. It is the gift of Miss Etta Shaffner, a Salem Alumna, and built during the summer months di rectly beliind the Alice Clewell building. After several hours of good hard study, there is nothing (Turn to Page Two)

North Carolina Newspapers is powered by Chronam.

Digital North Carolina