Skip to Content
North Carolina Newspapers

The Charlotte post. (Charlotte, N.C.) 1918-????, May 22, 1997, Image 1

Below is the OCR text representation of this newspaper page. It is also available as plain text as well as XML.

^ Racing more than driving/1B . Cemetery unearths history/ll A ^ BMWZ3 roadster a classic/14B Cfje Cljarlotte Bosft http://www.thepost.mindspring.com THE VOiCE OF THE BLACK COMMUNiTY THE WEEK OF MAY 22, 1997 VOLUME 22 NO. 35 75 CENTS ALSO SERVING CABARRUS, CHESTER, ROWAN AND YORK COUNTiES NAACP to seek restitution from former N.C. president By John Minter THE CHARLOTTE POST 10-year ban may also be levied The NAACP will try to recover nearly $600,000 from former N.C. President Kelly Alexander Jr. for alleged financial impropri eties, sources in the civil rights organization say. Alexander has also been banned from participation in the organization’s affairs for 10 years, say the sources, who requested anonymity. Reporting on action by the NAACP national board of direc tors last weekend, the board turned the matter over to gener al counsel Dennis Hayes to recov er as much as $585,000. Hayes would decide if civil or criminal actions are appropriate. Alexander, son of former national NAACP board chair man Kelly M. Alexander Sr., was suspended from the presidency of the N.C. NAACP in May 1996 after questions were raised about his handling of a cash manage ment account at Merrill Lynch in Charlotte. National NAACP officials could not be reached to confirm any action. The national board met last weekend in Dallas, Tfexas, and key officials were out of the office this week, secretaries said. Alexander said this week he had not heard about the board action and could not confirm the results. It was unclear if his membership was suspended or if he was barred from holding Alexander T\iskegee Study’s legacy ASSOCIATED PRESS PHOTO/GREG GIBSON Herman Shaw. 94, a Tuskegee Syphilis Study victim, smiles after receiving an official apology from President Clinton Friday in Washington. Making amends for a shameful U.S. experiment, Clinton apologized to black men whose syphilis went untreated by government doctors. Blacks still distrust U.S. medical establishment By Herbert L. White THE CHARLOTTE POST The Tuskegee Study of Untreated Syphilis in the Negro Male ended 25 years ago, but its effects are still felt today. President Clinton officially apologized on behalf of the U.S. government for the study, which left 399 African American men untreated for the venereal disease from 1932- 72. Clinton extended the apolo gy last week in a White House ceremony attended by Tuskegee survivors, and their families. Although only eight of the par ticipants are still alive, Clinton’s words were meant to bring an end to one of the longest chapters of medical abuse in American history. “It is not in remembering that shameful past that we can make amends and repair our nation, but it is in remembering that past that we can build a better present and a better future,” he said. “And vrithout remembering it, we cannot make amends and we cannot go forward.” Asking forgiveness for U.S. transgressions and establishing a center for bioethics at Tuskegee University, the Alabama school that served as headquarters for the study is a step in the right direction, said Randall C. Morgan Jr. M.D., president of the National Medical Association. “President Clinton’s apolo gy. . .does not excuse the tragedy of the Tuskegee Study of Untreated Syphilis in the Negro Male, but it may help to close this unfortunate chapter in our nation’s history,” he said. The Thskegee study started as an experiment to gauge the effects and spread of syphilis, or “bad blood” among black men. Even after penicillin was found to be an effective treatment, the drug was withheld from the study group, ultimately spread ing the disease to their wives and children. Tbday African Americans point to Tuskegee as an example of the U.S. medical community targeting blacks for experimentation. From fear that doctors will harvest blacks for organ transplants to con- See STUDY on page 2A Review proposal bears stamp of young author By John Minter THE CHARLOTTE POST Patrick Cannon’s youth made him a lightweight when he joined the Charlotte City Coimcil four years ago. But as Cannon prepares for a likely run for a third term, he's spearheading the city’s move toward one of its most difficult decisions - appointment of a citi zens review board to oversee police department actions. The so-called Cannon Amendment, with some modifi- cations, is expected to pass when the council considers it next month. A council committee which met Wednesday is fleshing out details. “We expect to make a decision in the month of June, at our next business meeting,” said Cannon, the youngest person ever elected to council at age 26 and at 30 is still its junior member. Bob Davis, chair of the Black Political Caucus praised Cannon’s handling of the citizen See REVIEW on page 3A PHOTO/DIANNE V. CURTAIN Charlotte City Council member Patrick Cannon explains his plan for a citizens review board to a group of ministers last week. Cannon’s proposal has picked up support in recent weeks. any official position within the NAACP. “If they suspended my two life memberships and two golden heritage memberships, I hope they send my money back,” Alexander said Monday. “As far as I am concerned, when I resigned from the state confer ence presidency back in November, that was it.” State and local NAACP officials said they were expecting written notification of the board’s action as early as this week. Acting N.C. NAACP conference president Melvin “Skip” Alston of Greensboro said he had no offi cial word on the board's action. “I have had to accept it as hearsay,” Alston said. “I’m glad they finally brought this thing to a conclusion, if they did. The state conference has been deal ing with it over a year now. We are just glad to see that there has See NAACP on page 2A Despite objections, exhibit organizer will receive honor By John Minter THE CHARLOTTE POST Dawn Womack will be recognized for bringing the Henrietta Marie slave ship exhibit to Charlotte despite a Mecklenburg County commissioner’s bid to block a public acknowledgment. Commissioner Darrell Williams pulled the honor from the board’s agenda Tuesday after colleague Bill James complained about some of the speakers invited to exhibit- related events. Williams said he pulled the item to avoid embarrassing Womack. “I have the certificate I was going to give her all ready signed by (chairman) Parks Helms,” Williams said Wednesday. “I am going to give it to her in another setting.” Womack said the entire matter was “bigger than it needs to be.” “(James) is making big issue out of some thing I think is insignificant,” she said. While a part of her would accept the award in any venue, Womack said another part wants to challenge James. “If they are going to give an award, they ought’ to give it in the setting it was meant to be given,” she said. “We shouldn’t let this guy make us back down and go to some private place.” The flap began when James, a conservative representing District 6 in southeast Charlotte, spotted the proposed presenta tion on the county agenda Sunday. James says he had no problem with exhibits, but objects to hon- Womack See EXHIBIT on page 3A Remap impasse threatens to put elections on hold By John Minter THE CHARLOTTE POST Charlotte’s City Council’s impasse over redrawing its seven districts continues after a mayoral veto killed a Democrat-backed plan Monday night. If no agreement is reached, the matter could end up in court, which could cancel or delay at least part of this fall’s municipal elections. The Democrats’ proposals would add 30,000 new resi dents to adjacent districts and make little changes to district lines. Republicans are pushing for a plan that would assure them of at least one more district seat, perhaps District 4, represented by Nasif Majeed, or District 1, represented by Sara Spencer. Council member Patrick Cannon, who represents District 3, said Tuesday a com promise may be reached. “I would hope we will not have to go to court,” Cannon said. “That’s the last place this city needs to be.” Majeed, whose district would be more white and more Republican under the Democratic plan, accused Republicans of trying to upset a delicate balance in the city’s politics. Cannon said he and Majeed would face tougher campaigns because of the annexation of more white voters, which takes effect July 1. “Majeed is in a Catch-22 situ ation,” Cannon said. “Regardless of what happens, District 4 is going to be an open district. It will be fair game for See DISTRICT on page 6A Inside Editorials 4A-5A Strictly Business 7A Lifestyles 9A Healthy Body/ Healthy Mind 10A Religion 11A Sports IB A&E 5B Regional News 9B Classified 11B Auto Showcase 14B To subscribe, call (704) 376- 0496 or FAX (704) 342-2160. © 1997 The Charlotte Post Comments? Our e-mail address is: charpost@clt.mindspring.com World Wide Web page address: http://www.thepost.mindspring.com •(935 Please Recycle

North Carolina Newspapers is powered by Chronam.

Digital North Carolina