North Carolina Newspapers is powered by Chronam.
8 L DIM.
1 I 1 k
VOL. I., NO. 7-
PINEHURST, N. C, FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 26, 1897.
PRICE THREE CENTS.
GEN. H. B. CARRINGTON.
Sketch of a Distinguished Win
ter Resident of Pinehurst.
Famous with Pen as well as Sword, and
Still Interested in Literary Work.
Mustered Presidents Garfield, Hayes and
McKinley Into the Array, and Signed
Commissions of the First Two.
We propose from time to time, so far
as practicable, to make mention of our
winter guests as they arrive, and thus
introduce them to e:ich other and help
promote that social sentiment which
makes Pinehurst society more like that of
one great family circle.
(Jeneral Henry B. Carrington of the
Army, author of "Battles of the Amer
ican devolution," a standard vol
ume upon which he spent nearly
thirty-seven years of labor at home
and abroad, and now here with
his family, has expressed a willing
ness to contribute an occasional article
upon the North Carolina battle-fields of
the devolution, all of which lie carefully
mapped, after personal surveys and close
scrutiny of the British and French arch
ives. His paper in the North Carolina
Teacher has already given special sig
nificance to the part which the Old North
State bore in the war for national
independence. From Appleton's "Bio
graphical Encyclopedia," and Kami's
"One in a Thousand," we take a few
General Carrington was born at Wall
ingford, Conn., March 2, 1824, although
his unchanged black hair and entire
personnel do not indicate his age. lie
graduated at Yale in 1845, was Professor
of Natural Science and Greek at Irving
Institute, New York, where, for a time
amanuensis of Washington Irving, he
hegan, under his advice, his battle
history. ne then took the Yale law
course, and for several years practiced his
profession in partnership with the late
Governor Dennison, at Columbus, Ohio.
He has long been a member, of the U. S.
Supreme Court Bar, but since the war
has not practiced, except as advising
counsel, and in charge of several suits
for the government in Montana in the
adjustment of Indian treaties.
As early as 1854 he was identified
with the first organization of the re
publican party, was an intimate friend of
Salmon P. Chase, and in 1857 became the
Adjutant General of Ohio, organized its
state militia and was able to dispatch
two regiments to Washington within
81ty hours after President Lincoln's
first call for troops. Upon increase of
the army in May, 18G1, on account of
services in West Virginia and antecedent
military training, he wras appointed,
with Sherman, Canby, Ileintzelman and
others, as one of the colonels, that of the
18th II. S. Infantry, which he promptly
raised to its maximum the first year, hav
ing 24 companies and a three battalion
basis. He was promoted General of
Volunteers in 18G2, and served under Buel
and Thomas in Kentucky until ordered
to the District of Indiana, the border
defense, and the organization of troops.
It so happened that he mustered into the
service Presidents Garfield, Hayes and
McKinley, and signed the commissions of
the first two.
General Carringtoifs present wife,
daughter of Mr. Pobert Courtney, of
Franklin, Tenn., was widow of Lieut.
Gruinmond of the 18th U. S. Infantry,
who was killed in battle with Indians in
18GG. Her experience at her home, dur
ing the battle of Franklin, and after
wards on the frontier, has been that of
unusual incident and trial. Their son
Chase, known to us so well last winter, is
now at El Paso, Texas. The two daugh
ters have returned with their mother, and
we hope to find them again among our
General Carrington's literary labors
have been continuous, the latest volumes
being a series of patriotic readers of
various grades, one especially including
-i a. - e-it
GENERAL IIEN11Y B. CAItUINGTON, U. S. A.
At the close of the war, he was ordered
from Louisville, Ky., to the frontier,
where he took command of the Rocky
Mountain district, opened the first wagon
road to Montana, through what is now
Wyoming, amid constant Indian hostil
ities, and was retired from active service
on account of wounds received, which at
the time promised to cripple him for life,
lie afterwards served several years as
Professor of Military Science and Engi
neering at Wabash College, Indiana, and
of late years has resided in Boston, en
gaged, when at home, in literary work.
He has declined civil office, but is serv
ing as member of the Board of Sewer
Commissioners at Hyde Park, near Bos
ton, where his experience as engineer
has its use.
His first wife, daughter of Joseph
Sullivant of Columbus, Ohio, was born
at Danville, Ky. One son, James B.,
survives, and is one of the editorial staff
of Scrib iter's Magazine.
biblical and classical as well modern
selections, and the latest volume, "Bea
con Lights of Patriotism," being designed
for grammar schools and family reading,
with many contributions from living
authors, including several from North
Carolina. We noticed last week Dr.
Smith's "Poems of Home and Country,"
which he edited. In a recent fire he lost
much valuable manuscript, including all
that had been done to develop the "Bat
tles of the Bible; or the Military History
of the Hebrews," which had long been in
his plans. He has maintained his famil
iarity with the ancient languages during
his entire life, and we are glad to wel
come him and others of special literary
attainments to our social life. If we
mistake not, Pinehurst has in prospect a
winter of rare opportunities for intellect
ual, social and esthetic culture and pleas
ure rarely to be met with, and the
accommodations are ample for all who
Dr. Hale on Early Boston History.
The Be v. Dr. Edward Everett Hale de
livered another in his series of lectures
011 the early history of Boston in Hunt
ington Hall a few evenings since. Every
seat was occupied.
The real founder of Massachusetts, said
the doctor, was the llev. John White,
who had among his followers several
adventurers who were fishermen and
who prospered in this way. White knew
that there were devout London merchants
who were ready to seek a new home,
and he wrote to them concerning the
wealth of the Massachusetts bay fisher
ies. The fisheries today yield twice as
much revenue as the breadstuff in Massa
chusetts. In 1G31-32, the people of Boston
did not understand that they must live by
fish, but the people of Dorchester did
understand this, and Dorchester was
richer than either Boston or Charlestown
at that time. Shiploads of fish were ex
ported to England, the West Indies and
France. But Boston was not to be simply
a town of fish. In 1631 Winthrop launched
the first ship ever built in Massachusetts,
which was called "The Blessing of the
Bay, "and which made successful voyages
to foreign ports. For a century and a
half thereafter Boston was known as a
ship-building port, and exported ships to
other countries. Boston was at one time,
fringed by 20 or 30 shipyards.
Speaking of the fortifications of the
bay, Dr. Hale said that none of the forts,
from 1G30 to the present day, had ever
fired a shot at an enemy. The present
Fort Independence is the seventh fort of
the same name on the same spot.
In 50 years, the doctor explained, Bos
ton grew from a little hamlet to be a rich
commercial centre which had dealings
with many other parts of the world, and
the town was so independent that it
fought through King Philip's war with
out asking England for an ounce of lead
or a gill of powder, and it cared not
what England or the English King
The people, for a town of 6000 inhab
itants, were phenomenally rich. They
had the best of food and the best of wine,
and through the 17th century it was
made a point of honor to have a stuffed
codfish on the table at even the most ele
gant dinner parties. The royal govern
ors were really powerless, and they would
not have received their salaries unless
they had attended the Thursday religious
In those days, many of the houses
were as elegant as any which now exist.
One of the finest residences was the
governor's, the Province House, for
which 2300 were paid.
Dr. Hale thought that it would be well
for the state to recover the site of the
Province House, and reproduce that
building as it was in its best days.
At the conclusion of the lecture, views
of interesting historical buildings and
places were thrown upon the screen with
a stereopticon. Boston Herald.