Skip to Content
North Carolina Newspapers

The Pinehurst outlook. (Pinehurst, N.C.) 1897-19??, December 08, 1899, Image 1

Below is the OCR text representation of this newspaper page. It is also available as plain text as well as XML.

Wto iftifaf VOL. HI., NO. 6. PINEHURST, N. C, DEC. 8, 1899. PRICE THREE CENTS. HOLLY INN OPENS, Starts on Its Fifth Season November 30th. The Prospects Bright for a Most Sue cessful Season. Thursday morning, Nov. 30th, the I loll v Inn opened for its fifth season, under the management of Mr. Allen T. Tread way. A short description of the Inn and a sketch of its history will doubtless he interesting to the readers of The Out look. The Inn was erected in the fall of 1895 and was first opened to the public on Jan. 24th of the following year, but those who were guests during that season would hardly recognize the magnificent hostelry which has taken the place of the original modest structure. The first season opening late and with the confusion incidental to the building of a beautiful village in the wilderness, the management labored under great disadvantages, but guests came in such numbers and were so delighted with our grand climate and the accommodations provided, that Mr. Tufts felt justified in enlarging and making many improve ments during the following summer. Early in the season of 1890-97 it he came apparent that the Inn was too small to accommodate the con stantly increasing number of guests who were attracted by its healthful surround ings, modern comforts and excellent management. Before the season was 1 over it was necessary to press every va cant house in the village into its service in order to care for all who applied. It was thus certain that if the Inn was to hold its popularity and increase it pa tronage it was nesessary to make exten sive improvements before another season. In the spring of 1897 plans were drawn to increase the capacity of the Inn to more than double the former dimensions. The building was arranged in the form of a hollow square with a large open court in the center, thereby making it possible to have all the rooms in the house receive an abundance of pure air and sunshine. This eourt has been beautified by growing plants and flowers, and is a source of much pleasure to the guests. The num ber of cottages in the village having also proved unequal to the demand, several ew, tasteful cottages were included in the list of improvements. Part of these were reserved exclusively for the use of hotel guests. In making these improve ments everything was done in the neat et and bast possible manner, and nu merous conveniences were added for the eomfoits of its guests. With these in creased accommodations it was expected that the manager would be able to care for all who came. The season of of 1897-98 brought a host of new guests, as well as a large proportion of those who had previously learned to appreciate the advantages offered at this charming resort. The Inn was again filled and it was found neces sary to make another addition of thirty- conservatory to the music room. The music room is an elegant apart ment octagon shaped, forty feet across and with fourteen foot studding, and is finished to where the roof comes to a point at the top, twenty-eight feet from the floor. On three sides are bav exten sions, that on the north being filled with a chimney containing a huge fireplace of finished brick. The extension on the W'ir 1 A-' -I- THE HOLLY INN. two guest rooms during the following summer. The Inn is now, without doubt, one of the most attractive and best equipped hotels in the country. The main doors of the Inn open into the handsome, commodious and well- east is filled by a stage for the use of the orchestra, while that on the south has numerous windows to admit the sun light. The inside is finished in natural wood, the cornice and wainscot being of handsome hard pine, with columns of the beautiful curly pine running from l; r. o fJ " u 0 " w lip! ighted lobby. This is a very attractive ipartment, finely 'tarnished, aim con tains two large open fireplaces. The of fice is located at the back of the room, on the left. Directly opposite the en trance is the main stairway, and on either hand are corridors. The corridor on the right leads past the coat room, writing room, smoking oom, and parlors and through the THE DINING HALL, HOLLY INN. i the floor to the ceiling. The walls a nd ceil ing are beautifully decorated. A fine floor of our n itive pine provides an ex cellent surface for dancing. The room is well lighted by numerous large win dows of pretty design, is heated by steam and the fireplace, and contains a profu sion ofsleetric lamps. The music room is one of the additions of last season, and has proved very popular with the guests. Here the orchestra gives its concerts every morning and evening, and the card parties and other entertainments at the Inn are also held in this room. To the left of the- corridor, near the music room, is the smoking room, with billiard and pool room con nected. Both are tastefully fitted with every comfort and convenience. The billiard and pool tables are first class in every respect, and against the walls are placed comfortable chairs for the spectators. Both these rooms have been thoroughly renovated since last season. They are well lighted by large windows during the day, and by numerous elec tric lights at night, and being finished in native pine present a bright and cheery appearance. A great deal of interest was taken in billiards and pool last sea son. A large number of expert players were among the guests at the Inn and many friendly tournaments were held during the long winter evenings. A large percentage of those who were here last winter have signified their intention to return this season, and the billiard room will undoubtedly prove more pop ular than ever. Close by the billiard room is the writ ing room, a well lighted apartment con taining convenient writing tables with pens, ink and stationery. Just beyond the writing room is the dining hall, one of the finest and best ap pointed rooms of its kind in the country. It is finished in curlv hard pine, a hand some natural wood, coutains a great open fireplace at each end, and large windows on three sides provide ample light. The ceiling is handsomely fres coed and the walls are of a brownish tint that harmonizes with the natural finish of the wood. Electric lights of many different tints and shapes are placed at convenient intervals across the support ing beams, which diffuse a soft light over the silver and glass on the tables below. The effect, whether in the day or when tne lights are on, is grand. One could hardly imagine a prettier or better planned apartment. This dining room is in that part of the building erected during the summer of 1897 and it has a seating capacity of 225. Ever since the Inn was built it has had among its guests people who owing: to their poor physical condition require a higher degree of temperature than those in good health. The man agement decided to provide a place es pecially for these people, and the result is a warm, cozy parlor just off the lobby, where easy chairs, case of books, writing table and everything that can add to the comfort and convenience of those who use it can be obtained. This room is al ways kept at a little higher degree of temperature than the rest of the hotel and has a cheerv and comfortable appearance. The sleeping rooms in all parts of the Inn are light and airy, and all have been thoroughly renovated and put in first

North Carolina Newspapers is powered by Chronam.

Digital North Carolina