The pilot. (Vass, N.C.) 1920-current, May 02, 1924, Image 1
VOLUME THE PILOT NUMBER 24 Is a Paper Devoted to the Upbuilding of the Sandhill Territory of North Carolina Address all communications to the Pil.OT printing COMPANY. VASS. N. C. piillURST CHAPE IS TAKING SHAPE earner Stone of Fine Building Laid in Pines of Village Green One uf the best jobs of building in the county this summer will be the village chapel at Pinehurst, for which the corner stone was laid a few days ago. The chapel will be an attractive buildinsr of colonial type, costing about .'<110,000. The spire will rise to a hoi^i'ht of about 126 feet, well to the tOf-s of the tallest pines that will surroinul it, for it will stand on the village that bit of original for est in the heart of Pinehurst, a setting that will be unique in church expe rience. Shut in by the groves that were the tirst temples the Village Chapel will be in harmony with the many fine buildings and institutions in Pinehurst, that are scattered about on all sides. The story of the new chapel is told by the pastor in a brief sketch which was read at the laying of the corner stone, and is as fol lows: “It may be interesting to future generations to know something of the part the Religious Association has played in the growth of Pinehurst. Its life has been a spirit of evolution, but it always stood for an inner unitj^ that should exist in spite of outward differences. “Pinehurst was conceived by its founder, Mr. James W. Tufts, as a place where man and woman could come and live a simple, wholesome life in the open. The rugged honest pines and the unpretentious sand land, seem to draw one away from the artificiali ties of modern life as they make their mute appeal for sincerety and genuin- mute appeal for sincerity and genuine ness. “It was natural that here men should stress, not the things that di vide and confuse, but the deep fun damental instincts that are common to us all. Therefore, it seemed fitting here for all to worship a common Father, in a building belonging to all, where men could bring their dif ferences and prove that the most real unity comes out of diversity. In the early days almost any minister who happened along was invited to hold services, and among these first ministers were Edward Everett Hale and Thomas W. Gregory. Such ser vices were held first in the Holly Inn and later in the Village Hall. In 1906-7 the Pinehurst Religious Association was formed and incorporated largely through the interest and enthusiasm of Mr.G.N.McMillan, who was elected the first president of the association. Mr. McMillan at once took steps to purchase the Village Hall for a non- denoiTiinational house of worship and the necessary funds were subscribed. In 1907 the Rev. Alleyne C. Howell was enj^aged as the first resident and official pastor of the Pinehurst congre gation. After a very short tenure of office he resigned to accept a call to St. Stephens Church, of Sewickly, Pa., and the Rev. Thaddeus A. Cheatham was elected to succeed him. “The Village Hall was then re- modcleil, a church was placed in the north end and the stage end was made ^nto a smaller chapel for the Roman Catholics. Father Hannon, the Ro- Catholic priest, wrote a letter of appreciation of this act, saying, “if the relis:ious spirit of Pinehurst pre vailed elsewhere it would be greatly for the advancement of Christian char ity.’ “As the years passed the building made more dignified and churehly. A to\>; r was built by Mr. Leonard Tuftf; and pews were put in the place of the folding chairs. Mrs. Sinclair gave a bell for the tower. Mr. Mc Millan gave an organ and Miss Mary Bruce gave the altar rail. For about fifteen years the Roman Catholics and Prostestants worshipped under the same roof until in 1920, because of the need of a larger building, the Roman Catholics built a new church, he partitions were tom away and he Prostestant Chapel made larger, out the growing interest in religious matters and the impossibility of car ing for the congregation made neces sary in 1924 the erection of a new and larger village chapel. It is be lieved by many that the influence of the chapel is far reaching, and that its message going out Sunday by Sun day to its world congregation will have great effect in uniting the Christ ian forces of the land into a fellow ship and a brotherhood until it can be said again as it was said of old, ‘See how these Christians love one anoth er.* A number of memorials will be placed in the building, the $10,000 or gan as a memorial to M. B. Johnson, being among the number. BOWWNG-McCONNELL Friends of Judge McConnell and family will be interested in the fol lowing, taken from the Los Angeles (Cal.) Herald, of April 24th:— Miss Betty McConnell, daughter of Judge and Mrs. S. P. McConnell, was married to Lynden F. Bowring Tues day afternoon at the home of the bride’s parents. Bishop Stevens of the Episcopal diocese of Los Angeles per formed the ceremony. The bride was given away by her father. She was simply gowned in white crepe trimmed in point lace and carried a shower bridal bouquet. Following the ceremony a buffet luncheon was served, and the couple left for a honeymoon trip to the north ern part of the state. The bride has been a student at the University of Southern California, and was in the junior class at the time of her marriage. Her father. Judge McConnell, was for a number of years circuit judge of the Chicago court. Mr. Bowring is a well known young attorney of this city. He is a son of Mrs. Robert Brunton, a grandson of the late Capt. Henry Lyndon Flash, of the Confederate army, the south ern poet, and a nephew of Sir Edgar and Frederick Bowring of the Bowring shipping interests, one of the largest ship companies of Great Britain. Mrs. Bowring’s grandfather McCon nell was a general in the Federal ar my. FRTOAY, MAY 2,1924 T. B. nSON DIES AT CARTHAGE Prominent Business Man and Manufacturer of Moore; in 111 Health Several Months SUBSCRIPTION $2.00 While not unexpected, the simple announcement Tuesday morning “Mr. Tyson is dead,” was cause for regret to those who knew him best and told of the passing from our midst of a man who ever stood for the best in terests of his community and its peo ple. Thomas B. Tyson was the son of the late L. P. Tyson and grand son of T. B. Tyson, founder of the Tyson & Jones Buggy Company. He was bom December 26, 1866, and died April 29,1924, being at the time of his death in the fifty-eighth year of his age. He was born and reared in Carthage where he always made his home. Mr. Tyson was educated in the schools of Carthage and at Bingham Military Academy, after leaving which in 1885 he entered the mercantile business with the firm of T. B. Tyson & Son. CO-OPS CUT MELON SPLIT A MILLION Association Schedule Calls for Four Cash Payments within Less than Three Months Members of the Tobacco Growers Co-operative Association in eastern North Carolina will soon receive a second cash payment on their de liveries of 1923 tobacco, which will reach the sum of $1,200,000.00, and will give the Eastern Belt farmers who delivered to their own selling or ganization a substantial fund in cash with which to make preparations for their tobacco crop of 1924. This second payment will bring the eastern farmers in the association half as much as they have already received for their total deliveries of the 1923 crop, and will be paid from the association warehouses in eastern North Carolina not later than June 15. A second payment to the sun-cured tobacco growers of Virginia on their 1923 deliveries and a third payment to the dark-fired tobacco co-ops of Virginia on their deliveries of 1922, will be made not later than May 15. Recent successful sales by the to bacco association have made possible a schedule for four cash payments, amounting to several million dollars, within a period of less than three months, according to the co-operative directors. The organized tobacco farmers of South Carolina who re cently divided $1,600,000.00 are finding the cash which they took from their organization, in the form of second payments last month, of special bene fit at this season, and new members are joining the association. More than $700,000.00 has been loaned to members of the co-operative marketing associations of tobacco and (Continued on page 8) He remained here until 1889, when he accepted a position with Tyson & Jones Buggy Company, and in 1892 was elected secretary and treasurer of the company, serving in this ca- . pacity until 1902 when he was made president of the company, which po sition he held at the time of his death. The remarkable success of this concern may be attributed in no small measure to his tact and judgment. In the business life of the commu nity Mr. Tyson took an active part beyond the activity contributed to it by the corporation of which he was the head. In 1905 he helped organize and promoted the Carthage and Pine hurst Railroad Company, of which he was elected president. He was for years a member of the board of com missioners of the town of Carthage, the board of trustees of the Carthage graded school and county board of education. To all these he carried the sound judgment and conservative progress evidenced in handling his pri vate affairs. As a member of the board of trustees of the Carthage graded school he helped to get the educational facilities of the town on a basis in keeping with the progress of the times and laid wisely the foun dations upon which those who have succeeded have builded. While he in creased the educational advantages of the town yet he did so in a way not to burden the people with debt and taxes, but planned with the idea of conservative progress which should be the true purpose of those who govern but which trait is not always found in those who are in authority. As a member of the board of town com missioners of Carthage, he never fail ed to stand for what was best for the community as a whole and no forward move ever lacked for his cordial sup port. He was instrumental in inaugu rating the water and fire departments of the town and the property saved by these have long since demonstrat ed their necessity and usefulness though at the time these were insti tuted some doubted the wisdom of the action. The educational policy of the county likewise felt the impulse of his judgment and foresight, for to it he contributed the same character of service that marked his contact with the business and educational af fairs of the town. The children of the county will long feel the benefit of his wise judgment and thoughtful consideration of their welfare. As head of the Tyson & Jones Bug gy CoiApany, Mr. Tyson exemplified the true type of business relation that should exist between employer and employee. During the years that he controlled its affairs no labor trou bles disturbed the tenor of its way, but it is a remarkable fact that when once a man entered their employ as a rule there he remained. The cordial good feeling between him and his men is rarely met with in a life time, and is as high a tribute to him as a man as any of his achievements and is a more lasting memorial than any words that may be spoken of him. Mr. Tyson was twice married, his first wife being Miss Nannie Phillips, whom he married in 1889. To this union were born two children, one son, C. P. Tyson, and one daughter, Miss Mary Glenn. Mrs. Nannie Phillips Tyson died in 1897. In 1901 Mr. Ty son married Miss Evelyn Burwell, of Henderson, who survives him. To this union were born two boys and two girls, Thomas Burwell, Robert Marsh, Eveljm Randolph and Dorothy Tyson. All of the children make their home in Carthage. The funeral ser vices were conducted at the residence at 11 o^clock Thursday moming by Rev. T. A. Cheatham, Rector of the Episcopal church of Pinehurst, assist ed by Rev. Chas. P. Holdbroke, Rector of the Southern Pines Episcopal church, and the interment was in the Tyson family plat at the Presbyte rian cemetery. The many floral of ferings attested the respect and es teem of those who knew him. “Tom” Tyson, as he was known to his friends, was of a rather retiring manner and without ostentation. He had a keen sense of humor and within the circle of those who knew him in timately he had his greatest pleasure. He loved indoor games and the social association of a few intimates pre ferably to the more strenuous life of the outdoor recreations. He was well informed on public matters and keen ly alive to the trend of business until (Continued on page 8) LAKEVIEW GErriNG READY FOR SUMMER All Manner of Improyements Under Way—More Planned for Next Year WHITE TEAM LEAD IN KIWANIS CONTEST Miss Way ^nd Mrs. Marr Enter tains the Club after Busi ness Meeting The attendance contest in the Sand hills Kiwanis Club received new im petus at the Wednesday noon lunche on through a new ruling as to some of the members whose continued absence had put their team mates’ score be low par. Members of the two teams discussed the technical sides of the question and the leaders of the teams lined up their adherents in regular political style on the question. In the final vote though the Whites won out and were relieved from the black marks chalked against their record on account of the non-attendance of one of their number, who was, in accord ance with the ruling made, technical ly not a member of the club. This rul ing also relieved the Red team of one of their members also, but in the final accounting the White team gained the lead over the Reds who had held the lead from the start of the contest. A letter read by the secretary show ed that the Sandhills club stood third in the contest for the Carolinas dis trict. Discussion as to the selection of delegates to the Denver Conference resulted in the adoption of a motion that they be elected at the next meet ing, which meeting will also be the close of the Attendance Contest. After the business meeting the pro gram committee presented Miss Louise Way, daughter of Kiwanian Judge Way, and Mrs. Dr. M. W. Marr, who entertained the club with a num ber of songs. Miss Way^s rendition of Cadman's From the Land of the Sky Blue Water was exceptionally good. The club extended a rising vote of thanks to the ladies for their en tertainment. Lakeview is rapidly getting ready for the opening of the summer season in about a week. A fence is to be built around the grounds, not to keep peo ple out, for no admission will be charged, but to regulate the move ment of cars so that they will be held to suitable roads in the enclosure and not allowed to run over everybody in discriminately. Parking facilities will be provided and cars held to proper roads and drives. Grading, terracing and shrubbery will be included in the new work, in side and outside of the enclosure, and reaching down as far as the store, where the high, clay bank will be cov ered with honeysuckle. Next week ten new steel boats that have arrived will be ready for use. They are pro vided with air chambers so they can not be sunk. Bath houses will be ready also in a few days more. A new floor will be put in the dance house, and a good orchestra will be engaged. A soda fountain and a high class restaurant will be features. Toilet facilities will be ample all around the grounds. A number of tents will be provided for this summer, with wood floors, cots, water, and such things as are necessary to make them comfortable. This, with the new houses building and the large dormitory, will mate rially increase the capacity of the place for caring for the people who will be on hand, and the entire revo lution in methods and attractions will change the face of Lakeview com pletely. It is not yet announced who will be in charge of the place, but with the added attractions a new Lakeview will be manifest at the opening day. The park inside the en closure will be made one of the most interesting spots in the county. The plans for next year include a large hotel, golf links, and other things that will help to make the place a winter as well as a summer resort, for it is the intention of the new own ers to utilize the advantages of Lake view all the time. This summer will be the forerunner of what is to come later, and from now on Lakeview can be counted as one of the big features of the Sandhills. VARSITY BASE BALL GAME FOR THE SANDHILLS Lovers of base ball will be pleased to learn that they are to have the privilege of seeing a real Varsity game in the Sandhills when teams from Wake Forest and Guilford Col leges will play at Pinehurst. This game has been arranged for through the State Bar Association, for their entertainment during their convention at Pinehurst this week. The very small admission fee of 50 cents will be charged for the game, for the purpose of helping to pay the expense of bringing the teams here. SERMONS BY TELEPHONE AT SOUTHERN PINES B. W. Leavitt, of the Southern Pines telephone exchange, has intro duced an innovation in his service. He has placed in the Congregational church an outfit that reproduces the sounds there during the proceedings, and by connecting the telephones of the system with the church the list ener at home can hear everything that transpires. The voices and the or gan are unusually distinct. Mr. Lea vitt says he can connect about half a dozen listeners at one time, but he is fixing to increase the number as soon as i>ossible. Those who like to be at church without leaving home, especially those who cannot get out, are invited to call Mr. Leavitt and leam more about the new device. Subscribe toThe Pilot NOW!