North Carolina Newspapers

    BADIN BULLET]
Page Four
RAILROAD CULVERT
ground, some twenty feet lower than
shown at present.
The town site at that time only boast
ed of a few French apartments that were
ready for families, all of which were
filled to three or four times their capac
ity. The Badin Commissary was the only
source of supply for whatever might be
your wants; if you couldn’t find it there,
it was Albemarle bound. R. M. Trexler,
of course, could fix you up in lots of
things, but a drug store was not one of
our luxuries.
April, 1917, found the plant site yard
grading complete; seven pot rooms wait
ing on the dam, and Building 30 waiting
to be of service in pot baking and red
ding carbon. Instead of the small cal-
ciner in Building 50 C, a big building.
No. 51, was under construction just
south of 50 C. All steel was erected,
and brickwork was under way. Just
along the west side of Building 51, a
new extension to 50 C was under con
struction, to store the crushed coke
which was to find its way thru the
calciner. Between Building No. 51 and
the old part of 50 C, a water-cooled re
volving conveyor (which was named by
all the “submarine”) was being installed
to carry the calcined coke to Building
50 C. Back of the pot rooms. Buildings
25 and 35, the two big Rotary Stations,
were nearing completion.
On the townsite, instead of the few
French apartments, there had sprung
up two hundred and fifty three-, four-,
and five-room cottages. The unfinished
apartments of a year ago were all com
plete; yet everything was full. On Hen
derson Street and Tallassee Avenue,
fourteen modern bungalows had been
completed.
The schoolhouse was also completed,
and the first concrete sidewalk in the
town was laid in front of the school just
two years ago. The hospital was not
completed at this time, but all could see
we had a hospital on the way, as the
brick walls were up, and roof on, and
the mill work and plumbing were well
under way.
The Commercial Block was well under
way. The brick masons were busy with
the side walls, and all were looking for
ward to seeing new stores in Badin.
The theater was in its infancy, as the
first concrete was just being poured.
In the spring of 1917, a new depart
ment came into being at Badin—the
negro village. At this time, the first
fifty houses were under construction,
along with sewer and water lines.
April, 1D18—The only new additions
to the plantsite since 1917 were exten
sions to Building 50 A, Building 10, and
Building 12. In front of the plant, a
brick paving had been started, but was
still incomplete.
The white town had developed nia*’'
in sidewalks—you could walk two ^
three blocks without getting on the ®
boardwalk. It was during the sunH®*
of 1918 that most of the progress
made along this line. The hospital
theater were both occupied, the •- ’
mercial Block was alive with bus*'’*'
and eight new bungalows on Tal'*^
Avenue had been started.
The negro village was the main
of growth this year. The fifty
of 1917 had grown to two hundred d
ing houses, a barber shop, a store,
big boarding-houses, with two hun ^
more dwellings under constructio**'^
big pool room and a dance hall a*®®
into being this spring. ,
—Robv
Relief Department
The Tallassee Power Company
Department was organized at the
Works, January 1, 1919. H
The'purpose of this Departn>e*'^^ri
provide a fund, under certain
tions. for the pa}ment of
of money to employees who ar« ‘
fortunate as to become dis»^* p(^
A ■
sickness or personal injuo'* •*’ ^1 '
vide, to a certain extent, fu”*
penses in the cate of death.
Up to the preaent time, w* ^
extremely fortunate, inaswuf^*
    

Page Text

This is the computer-generated OCR text representation of this newspaper page. It may be empty, if no text could be automatically recognized. This data is also available in Plain Text and XML formats.

Return to page view