page has errors
The date, title, or page description is wrong
This page has harmful content
This page contains sensitive or offensive material
Click "Submit" to request a review of this page.
0 / 75
West End Church
Come Thanksgiving Day this year, the 600 members of
West End Methodist Church in the Firestone community,
wiil be especially grateful. Because they now see a long-term
dream taking reality in the form of the first unit of a $300,-
000 church home.
the edifice on which construction is now progressing, will be
known as the Arthur M. Dixon Educational Building, named in
honor of the local benefactor who contributed $25,000 toward its
Final unit of the $300,000 building project will include a worship
sanctuary to be erected in the future.
A ground-breaking ceremony was held on a Sunday morning the
past spring launching the educational unit. Present on that oc
casion were visiting dignitaries, church officials and other members
of the church. Included were the pastor, G. W. Bumgarner, Arthur
^ixon, Ronald Green, architect, whose firm completed building
plans for the structure; H. T. McElveen, chairman of the building
committee; T. A, Little, representing other members of the church;
Cramer L. Little, chairman of the building finance committee; R. L.
Tompkins, chairman of trustees; Zay Davis, chairman of the of
ficial board; and J. V. Darvv^in, representing Firestone Textiles.
Linda Kaylor represented younger members of the congregation.
West end church was established in 1898 and the original
house of worship was located on Airline avenue. The present struc
ture at 805 West Franklin avenue was errected in 1907.
Main entrance of the new structure will face on Franklin ave
nue. There will also be an entrance on Highland Street. The sanctu-
to be built in the future, has been planned to accommodate 400
persons. A balcony which would add 100 more seats, may be added
later. When the total building project is completed the church will
have facilities to accommodate some 750 persons.
Men of FIRESTONE (lop) who are leaders in Ihe West End
Congregation look over the building plans with the minister. G. W.
^Umgarner (seated). Standing, from left, are: Fred Rockett, Cramer
Little, Grady Davis, William Cosey, R. L. Tompkins. Gentry Tindall
and H. T. Aldridge.
present STRUCTURE of West End Methodist Church
(Middle). Construction is progressing on the new edifice, to be
Raised behind the old one.
Projected sanctuary and Arthur M. Dixon Educational
^^ilding of West End Church (bottom).
Martins On Poston Circle
and Mrs. Joe Terrell Mar-
are at home at 1770 Poston
ifcle, Gastonia, after their fall
Redding which took place in
cst End Methodist Church
Mrs. Martin is the former
^I’gie Marie Cosey, Main Of-
j^ce. She is the daughter of Wil-
Cosey, Carding, and Mrs.
of Twisting. She is a
^^aduate of Ashley High School
Evans College of Commerce.
Martin is the son of Mr. and
John Terrell Martin, A
®^aduate of Ashley High School,
Tt r,^®^ved for three years in the
^ the Martin wedding,
^artier Little, Shop employee,
h Mj.g Little, presented a
§ram of music for the occa
(Margie Marie Cosey)
1 °^ernor Luther H. Hodges has reappointed Recreation Director
Johnson to the North Carolina Recreation Commission Ad-
Q Committee. The appointment confirmed in a letter from the
J k October 11, will continue through July 1, 1957.
g . ^son, who is currently serving his first term on the Commit-
’ one of the group’s experts on industrial recreation.