North Carolina Newspapers

The Pen
Published by the Students of St. Augustine's College
St. Aligr. 3
Shaw 0
Volume 4
Number 2
fe > *•
S» " :
6 Men Play Their Last
Game For the Saints
When the officials’ whistle blew
term'inating the recent St. Aug.-Shaw
game, six men had played their last
game for the Blue and White.
It was a fitting climax to a four-
year'^ attempt to overcome Shaw,-for
it was In 1930 that Humphrey
"Father" Bond, “Red” Perry, Bill
“Gator” Stirrup, Louis Von Evans, and
Oliver Denning began their attempts
to defeat Shaw, which culminated in
a 3-0 victory at the end of their varsity
Captain ^Stirrup, who led that vic
torious team, Perry, Bond, Von Evans,
and Denning have been mainstays on
the Blue and White teams since their
freshman year; and the gaps at tackle,
guard, end, and fullback, which they
played so creditably, will be hard to
D. P. Lane, the other senior end,
who played opposite Perry, gave one
of the best exhibitions of his career.
Saints Pick ‘Tido’’ Johnson
As Captain For 1935 Team
star Guard Unanimous Choice of
Varsity Squad — Father of
Captain-elect Played On Team
Which Tied Shaw In 1905.
Robert "Fido” Johnson, of Hot
Springs, Arkansas, was elected captain
of the football team for next year at
a special meeting which was held after
the Saints’ victory over Shaw. John
son was the unanimous choice of the
varsity squad.
Johnson was a halfback during his
freshman and sophomore years, and
served part of this season at quarter
back and halfback. When a sliortage
of guards occurred, Johnson readily
consented to shift into guard. It was
as a guard that he faced Shaw, and his
fierce tackling and diagnosis of enemy
plays were features of that hard-fought
Incidentally, Captain-elqct Johnson’s
father. Rev. Robert J. Johnson, was
captain of the Saints’ team that tied
Shaw in 1905.
4 ■
Saints Defeat Shaw
For First Time In
Seventeen Years
Harold Sims’ Dropkick Gives
Saints Hard-Earned Victory In
Dying Minutes of Gamer—Su
periority of Saints Noticeable
From Beginning.
By the margin of a field goal, made
by Harold Sims in the dying minutes
of the game, the Saints overcame a
Bear team for the first time since
1917. This victory was the third, that
the Saints have won since the begin
ning of this classic, which is more
than thirty years old.
It was a well-coached and well-bal-
anced team that faced Shaw, and its
superiority was noticeable from 'be
ginning to end. The line opened big
holes for a quintet of hard-hitting
and shifty backs. On defense they
stopped Shaw before her plays had
started. Except in the third quarter,
Shaw’s offensive was her vain attempt
to keep down the faints’ score.
The score doesn’t indicate tha ex
tent to which Shaw was outclassed.
Singletary’s end sweeps. Von Evans’
bull-like thrusts into the Shaw line,
kept the low-charging Bear line back
on its heels all afternoon. Several
costly penalties stopped three Saints
—Continued on page 4.

Page Text

This is the computer-generated OCR text representation of this newspaper page. It may be empty, if no text could be automatically recognized. This data is also available in Plain Text and XML formats.

Return to page view