^ugusitme’si 3^torb Vol. XXXVII OCTOBER-XOVEMBEB, 1931 jfo. 1 CONFERENCE OF DEANS OF WOMEN On Saturday, ISTovember 14th, St. Augustine’s was host to a regional conference of twenty-six cleans and advisers of women and girls, sponsored by the local College Alumnae Club, of which !Mrs. Holmes, a member of our staff, is president. The purpose of the conference was to discuss ways and means for raising the general cultural atmosphere on school campuses, to attempt to find out how other schools and colleges meet and solve their various social problems, to receive inspiration and expert advise on problems common to all, from workers recognized as authorities in their fields, and to create greater interest in the national con ference which will hold its fourth annual session this year at Tuskegee. After the opening addresses of welcome by Mr. Goold, our own president, and Mr. JTelson, presi dent of Shaw University, and a report on the third national conference, held at Talladega last March, Miss Whiting, dean of women at Virginia State College, Petersburg, Va., read a splendid paper on “The Function of the Dean of Women.” This was especially appreciated because of the many years of successful work Miss Whiting has had in that field. The morning session was concluded with a round table discussion on the advantages and disadvantages of sororities on the campus. Miss Kuth Rush, dean of women at Durham State College, Durham, N. C., in her paper on “The Dean’s Responsibility for Educational and Vocational Guidance” placed a great responsibility on all advisers of women for intelligent guidance iji aiding girls to choose a vocation and to select the school or college that offers the greatest oppor tunities for preparation for the chosen vocation. She said that both educational and vocational guidance should begin with the preparatory school for tliose seeking college training, and with the ?lementary school for those selecting the high school best suiting their needs. The guidance should begin in the freshman year, not in the Senior year, thus insuring satisfactory preparation for the field selected. The conference sent resolutions on the tragic passing of Miss Juliette Derricotte, late dean of women at Fisk University, to Fisk and to the ^atioiuil Y. W. C. A., in which organization she was for many years a very valued worker. The members of the conference expressed themselves as greatly enriched by their attendance at the con ference, and much pleased with the hospitality shown them l)y St. Augustine’s. M.C.L. SCIENCE DEPARTMENT Another evidence of physical growth at St. Augustine’s College is the new quarters of the Science Department. During the summer, the building, which was originally used for practice teaching in the elementary grades, was completely remodeled to take care of the rapidly increasing enrollment in the Biology and Chemistry courses. These new quarters that are now designated as the Science Building, are well adapted for Science teaching. The building is easily accessible from the classrooms of the Hunter Building. It is a two- story brick structure covered on the northern and western exposures with ivy and fox grape vines, the habitation of many of the campus birds. The first floor quarters the Biology Department. In the wide entrance hall stands a large museum case containing exhibits of the Science Club. Large glass panelled doors lead into the Biological labo ratory which at once gives the imjiression of a well lighted, airy, and commodious workshop. The numerous charts, models, cabinets, work tables, terraria, aquaria, and living plants, as well as the stuffed and bottled specimens accentuate the type of scientific training attempted. The second floor is divided into three rooms. A small but well lighted room serves as a stock room for the chemical equipment. The second room is a spacious rectangular room used as a lecture and recitation room. This room is equipped with blackboards, movable chairs, a lecture-demonstra- tion table, and a display cabinet for exhibits of Chemistry. The third room is the Chemical labo ratory having an entire eastern exposure. The students’ desks and fume closet which were made in the school shop, give this room the appearance of a veritable workshop. A.P.C. The Raleigh Graduate Chapter of the Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, the oldest American Greek Letter Sorority for Kegro Women, awards each year a fifty-dollar scholarship for College study, to a girl graduating from the Raleigh Public High School. The aw’ard is made on the basis of charac ter, scholarship, service and general worthiness. The awards for 1930 and 1931 were made to Eva Lucas and Eliza A. Morgan, respectively, both of whom are students in St. Augustine’s Col lege. Both young women W’ere formally presented to the student body in October by the head of the chapter, Mrs. Eva M. Holmes.