Saint Augustine’s University Student … /
Dec. 1, 1932, edition 1 /
Part of Saint Augustine’s University Student Newspaper / About this page
page has errors
The date, title, or page description is wrong
This page has harmful content
This page contains sensitive or offensive material
ST. AUGUSTINE’S RECORD
Published bi-monthly during the College year at
Rnlpi!.'li. N. C.. in the interest of St. Augustine’s
CollPcc. Uev. E. n. Qoolp. President.
SlJIlSCBIPTION. 25 CENTS.
Entered nt the postofflce in Raleigh as second-class
matter, under the Act of March 3, 1879.
Acceptance for mailing at a special rate of postage
provided for in section 1103, Act of October 3, 1917,
authorized April 11. 1921.
ST. AGNES HOSPITAL
The Cliiircli pa])er, The Witness, in tlie issue for
January 28tli carries an article about St. Agnes
written by Mrs. Worrall, tbc Superintendent. It
is one of a series of articles about Churcli hospitals
whioli the WUiufss has been featuring for several
weeks. We print below some extracts from what
Mrs. Worrall wrote:
St. Agnes Hospital was founded in 1896 and
owes its iiicei)tion to Mrs. Sarah B. Hunter, the
wife of the then princi])al of St. Augustine’s
School. It now is proud of the fact that it is a
part of St. Augustine’s College and therefore its
Training School for Xurses, one of the schools
fostered by the Chureh Institute for Negroes,
whose sympathetic aid lias helped it to its rating as
“Class A” school.
The hospital, started in a small way because
Mrs. llvniter saw the need for colored nurses to
care for their own people as well as for hospitaliza
tion for these people, demonstrated clearly its use
fulness. It soon outgrew its quarters and in 1908
the present building was opened. It is built of
native stone, quarried on the grounds and it is said
that the late Bishop Delany was very proud of
having laid the first stone.
It is, today much the same as when first built,
although a firo in 1926 made it possible to do some
remodeling, notably the roof which changes the
contour of the main building. It now has an annex
built in 1924 as a memorial to Dr. Mary L. Glen-
ton who had been the superintendent for some
years before her death in 1923.
The present buildings have room for one hundred
patients, for the most part charity cases.
I'he low prices paid for cotton and tobacco have
made it almost impossible for the patients to pay
for hospitalization and where once two-thirds, at
least, of our patients were paying their way, today
less than one-third pay anything.
In spite of our }>overty we have managed so far
to keep open and no one needing care has been
turned from the door because of our lack of funds.
We try to believe that we are no worse off than
many other hospitals, better off than some, for we
■do have the Wouuui’s Auxiliary to look to for linen
and surgical dressings.
Xo article about St. Agnes’ Hospital would be
complete without mention of our Library. It is
housed in a room on the second floor of the New
Benson Library, St. Augustine’s College and is
directly under the supervision of Miss Snodgrass,
the Librarian. It, too, owes its existence to the
women of the Church, for it is largely the gift of
the Churcli Periodical Club.
Here, every day, you will find nurses studying,
for its more than five hundred volumes and its
seventeen medical and hospital journals are for
their use as much as for the use of the internes and
the medical staff.
Having presented our work what is our need?
Easily answered by one who knows—a more ade
quate endowment!—$5,000.00 will endow a bed,
.$2,000.00 will endow a day. Would you not like
to give now or in your will in memory of some
loved one, either one of these? You will be helping
not only to keep alive a memory, but to bring help
to succor to those who, probably, are the most needy
of our citizens.
THE BISHOP TUTTLE SCHOOL
The Tuttle School has had a most satisfactory
board meeting. To have Bishop Creighton, Rev.
C. R. Barnes, Miss Lindley, Mrs. Allison, Mrs.
Bickett and Miss Claudia Hunter think it was
worth the time it took—Mrs. Allison was here four
days—set the school in a new light. It was a great
help to have the chance to talk over problems with
such wise and understanding friends, who had
authority too to answer questions and make de
cisions. They were encouraging, but they look to
us for far higher standards in scholarship and
Beside the inspiration they brought we have had
other speakers, Rabbi Frank gave us a lecture on
the Prophets with special emphasis on Deutero-
Isaiah and it made a thrilling close to our Old
Testament study and led us from the old Judean
days into the world strain of these difBcult days of
our own. Coming from St. Mary’s School Mrs.
Fletcher gave us a summary of New Testament
approach and the Rev. Mr. Fletcher reviewed for
us the developments through the Christian cen
turies that lead up to today’s difficulties with a
stirring picture of the loss of leadership the Church
has suffered and must regain. Dr. Hunter talked
to us of the Reformation in England, and Mr.
Goold made clear the great influence in evangelism
and philosophy of the eighteenth century. It has
been a rich experience.
Now we are settling down to steady work—and
to a search for work for the members of this senior
class who will graduate in May. B. R.
Saint Augustine’s University Student Newspaper
groups preceding, succeeding, and alternate titles together.
Dec. 1, 1932, edition 1
Click "Submit" to
request a review of this
page. NCDHC staff will check .
0 / 75
North Carolina Newspapers is powered by Open ONI. View system reports.
DigitalNC is a project of the North Carolina Digital Heritage
Center, the North Carolina Department of Natural and Cultural
Hill Libraries and our sponsors.
Background image: Grandfather Mountain,