Saint Augustine’s University Student … /
Dec. 1, 1936, edition 1 /
Part of Saint Augustine’s University Student Newspaper / About this page
page has errors
The date, title, or page description is wrong
This page has harmful content
This page contains sensitive or offensive material
Volume XLir DECEMI5KH 1936-FEBRUARY 1937 No. 3
CHRISTMASTIDE AT ST. AUGUSTINE’S
For many years it lias been the aim at St.
Augustine’s to give tlie observance of Christmas
a cfistinctive character, the emphasis being on
the religious significance of this great Church
festival. To this end the emphasis has been cen
tered on the Communion Service on Christmas
morning. The service is held at 9 o’clock, and
this year was attended by practically the whole
campus community. The Chapel wa.s beauti
fully decorated with the appropriate symbols and
in the season’s festal colors, and the choral service
was entered into with reverence and joyiulness.
On the Sunday before Christmas the Choral
Club, under the direction of Prof. Bussell F.
Houston, rendered a program of Christmas
music, including selections from Handel s Mes
siah ” Bach’s “Christmas Oratorio, and Men
delssohn’s “St. Paul.” Other numbers were
traditional carols and familiar hymns ihe
Choral Club and Prof. Houston receiwd many
favorable comments on the program which was
presented in the Chapel, by candlelight, in the
Christmas Eve was reserved, as usual, for the
traditional Nativity Scene, which was. ^r the
first tiine, given in the choir of the ape .
added to its impressiveness and effectiveness. The
N-ativity Scene is a simple presentation in tab
leau form, of the story of the birth of CJi”St.
The spoken parts arc taken from the Scriptures,
and singing forms a background for the spec
tacle. Miss Mary Elizabeth Johnston was in
charge of the presentation.
The Dramatic Club, on December 16, presented
Dickens’ “Christmas Carol” to an appreciative
audience. Mrs. Julia Delany directed the dia-
matic club’s production.
The merry side of the season was not over-
looked. Tl.e,c a gmnd Oh,■,*.««* d.nner on
Christmas Day, and there were a dinnei pai y
and several otlier parties for the ^euts The
large cedar tree near the c«iter of the campus
wa^lecorated with colored lights, ttoe ^ere
decorated trees in several of the ui mg ' "
large number of students who could, went 1 o
for the holidays, though many who
to S(. Augustine’s from a distance m«st always
elect to stay. Everything possible is do'ie to
make St. Augustine’s homelike for these alway ,
but uspccislly at Christmas time. ^
All were given an opportunity to share m t e
Christmas spirit of giving- P, q, ,
Case Work Agency, in co-operation with the
tie Community Center, makes a spec -.ijpji+g
Christmas to do something extra for ^lien^
in the neighborhood. Following an appeal from
the Agency various groups and individuals in the
College contributed money and goods to the work,
whicli is in charge of Miss Ruth Stevenson, of
the Bishop Tuttle School faculty. The Chapel
offering of Christmas Day was taken for the
work of the Inter-racial Commission of North
Carolina and Virginia.
THE BENSON LIBRARY
Since the last issue of the Record, gifts of pic
tures, magazines, and books have come from vari
ous Church Periodical Club branches and
friends. We are grateful to the Church Periodi
cal Clubs of St. Thomas’, New York; St. James’,
Greenfield, Mass.; St. Paul’s, Poughkeepsie, and
St. Michael and All Angels’, Baltimore.
The increased size of our medical book collec
tion has made it necessary to increase the shelv
ing space. St. Agnes Hospital has co-operated
in providing new book-cases for their Medical
Library. This addition has improved the ap
pearance of the Library.
Part of the second floor of the Library is now
an Art Gallery. This is a branch gallery of the
local WPA Art Center. Exhibits are changed
frequently, and it is hoped that interest in art
will be stimulated both on the campus and in
the community through this project.
SAINT AGNES HOSPITAL AND
During the past few months, the hospital has
been filled to capacity. Many very ill patients
have been cared for by our nurses, who have
shown their willing spirit in helping to alleviate
It is always satisfactory to a hospital when
nurses are willing to do what has been exempli
fied in their daily teachings. N’ursing has not
only the educational qualities to make the hos
pital w’ork interesting, but it also means the
creating of kindness in the life of our young
At the close of the semester, there were eleven
young women accepted to go on in the work of
the nursing program.
The spirit of our nurses I have found.very
encouraging, and it means so much to the future
of the young women.
The hospital medical work has been greatly
aided by the coming to our midst of Dr. F. M.
Liverpool as an interne. May the good \vork
go on.—A. S. C.
Saint Augustine’s University Student Newspaper
groups preceding, succeeding, and alternate titles together.
Dec. 1, 1936, edition 1
Click "Submit" to
request a review of this
page. NCDHC staff will check .
0 / 75
North Carolina Newspapers is powered by Open ONI. View system reports.
DigitalNC is a project of the North Carolina Digital Heritage
Center, the North Carolina Department of Natural and Cultural
Hill Libraries and our sponsors.
Background image: Grandfather Mountain,