^ugusttnc's; l^ecorb V^oluiiie XLIV’ l)ECE>riJKU, 1938—JAXUARY, 1«)3!) No. 2 SEVENTY-FIRST ANNIVERSARY MARKED January 13, the date on which in 1868 the first ses sion of St. Augustine’s School began, was fittingly observed this year. At the morning chapel service the President in a short address stated that St. Augustine s Was built on a spiritual foundation, and that through out its history has received the continued support of the Church. The belief of Church people in the value of Christian education was responsible for the begin ning of the institution, and its future depends on the justification of that faith, he declared. The celebration was continued at one o’clock in the afternoon, when students, staff and a few friends gathered in the dining room of the Cheshire Building at a luncheon in honor of the seventy-nist Wrtlidav of St. iVugustine’s. The special feature oi the luncheon was the fifteen-minute broadcast through Radio Station WPTF of part of the program, ihe broadcast was direct from the dining rooni. rresiden Goold and Dr. Edson E. Blackman, President of the Alumni Association, shared the speaking eii addresses are printed in another part of this issue ot the Recoki). During the broadcast the college quartet, consisting of A. L. Howze, of Mississippi, David Harper and Jackson Wheeler, of Georgia, and ^^wdl Stewart, of New York, sang “The Blue and the White, the College Hymn, and the College Song. Tl^ quartet was assisted in the College Hymn by Mrs. Katharine Lewis Henderson, Bishop Tuttle 3^ ro . tu E. Berry accompanied these and other musical numbers by Paul Powell and Madeline Weaver. t Brief remarks were made by Miss Louise Latham, ’22; Dr. Thomas Haywood, ’12, of the alumni; Francis Johnson. ’39, president of the student council, and Christopher Hunt, president of the senior class, ^^cting Dean Keginald L. Lynch spoke a few words on the Subject of curriculum expansion. It was an impressive and inspiring observance oi a significant date in our history. Expressions ®at faction have been heard from those who a en ’ ‘ Several graduates have written to ^ more than pleased with their Alma Maters message ®ent through the air. SIDELIGHTS ON ANNIVERSAIIY DAY A large number of day students ^ Bart^of ‘^'Grsary Day luncheon. Special efforts P ^he administration and student organiza ions ^cgrate the “city students” more fully m o '^he institution are bearing fruit. Fergus M. Fulford,l5771^(5ent pjji! pivinitv School, Petersburg, Va., in a e«er dont Goold, said in part: “I -^“SiroSam liar pleasure as T listened to the fifteen-rnin ^ commemorating the seventy-first -\ypTF Augustine’s as it was broadcast from irw taiS"]™ ; of • . . My wislies and prayers, now and alway , you and the school.” t>op-p 4> (Continued on Page 4J HISTORY RECEIVES RECOGNITION The seventy-first anniversary also marked the first anniversary of the publication of the History of St. Augustine's, 1867-1937. Although the circulation of the History among the Alumni has to date been rather small, it has received considerable recognition. It has been mentioned briefly in the Journal of ISTegro history, in Prof. Archibald Henderson’s annual review of liter ature produced in ISTorth Carolina, in the Spirit of Missions, and in the Raleigh News and Observer. Longer reviews have appeared in The Churchman, the American Church Monthly, Opportunity Magazine, The Witness, the North Carolina Churchman and the Church Historical Magazine. The Library of Con gress has issued printed filing cards for it, and several public libraries in different parts of the country have ordered copies of the History. 'The Churchmans review, written by the Eev. Wilbur Larremore Caswell, calls it “a complete picture of one phase of the education of the American ]S^egro.” The Neu's and Observer said that “all of St. Augustine’s friends will delight in the details included,” and charac terizes it as “painstakingly careful.” Dr. Frank Horne, in Opportunity, says it is “a noteworthy contribution.” (Copies of the History are still available at one dol lar each, and may be obtained by ordering direct from the College.) LIBRARY NOTES Growth in certain specialized fields is the trend in college libraries today. Listead of duplicating valuable materials, each library tries to build up its book collec tion in certain selected fields and, through inter-library loans, the combined resources of these libraries is at the disposal of those wishing to do advanced work. In the case of our Benson Library, we have deliber ately acquired more technical books in certain fields than in others, selecting the subjects as to general interest and a fortunately good basic collection. This has been particularly true of our N^egro collection for we possessed for a nucleus certain valuable out-of-print materials, and we are naturally interested in it. The importance of our present collection of Negro books was evident when our library was chosen as the one in this section to send an author list of our holdings in Negro literature to Howard University Library last summer. Through a WPA grant, the library at How ard University planned to assemble a so-called union catalog which would list the holdings in ]^egro litera ture of certain libraries in different localities. Through this arrangement, students desiring to do research work will not need to go to Washington to use the library there, but they they will be directed to the library nearest them having the materials wanted. Our dupli cate cards are already part of this union catalog which should be most useful to those interested in the subject. We hope we may continue to grow from these begin nings, but we shall need the help of interested friends of the College. —P. A. S.