ST. AUGUSTINE’S RECORD
Published bi-monthly during the College year at Raleigh, N. C.,
in the interest of
St. Augustine’s College, Rev. E. H. Goold, President
Subscription, 25 Cents
Entered at the postoffice in Raleigh as second-class matter, under the
Act of March 3, 1879.
Acceptance for mailing at a special rate of postage provided for in
section 1103, Act of October 3, 1917, authorized April 11, 1921.
ROSENWALD DAY OBSERVED
Julius Koseiiwiild Day was observed at St. Augus-
tiiie’s College February 4, in a program arranged by
the Student (council, in wliicli Dr. N". C. Wewbold,
director of N’egro Education of the State of Worth
Carolina, was the chief speaker. Dr. N'ewbold cited
facts an(l figures to show what a great contribution the
Kosenwald benefactions had made to N’egro education
in the South and to southern citizenship in general.
The speaker showed that Julius Kosenwald had con
tributed $4,r>00,000 to the erection of school buildings
alone. ITo also cinuneratcd other philanthropies that
Mr. liosenwald and the fund have suj^ported. Dr. liew-
bold said that the State of ISTorth Carolina had been in
position, because of the relatively advanced state of its
development of Negro education at the time Mr. Kos-
cnwald began his work, to take greater advantage of
liis offers of aid than any other state in the South, and
that North Carolina contributed more state funds than
any other state to the erection of the schools. They
were built by a combination of the efforts of Negro citi
zens and white citizens with personal contributions,
public funds and the Kosenwald contributions, ho said.
President Edgar II. Goold paid a personal tribute
to Dr. Newbold, whoso efforts were to such a great
degree responsible for obtaining Kosenwald aid in
North Carolina. lie mentioned the fact that the col
lege library building and the nurses’ home of St. Agnes
IIos])ital had the aid of the Kosenwald Fund in their
equipment. The interest of Dr. Newbold in St. Augus
tine’s College was very influential in obtaining this aid
for our work, Mr. Goold said.
From Saint Agnes Hospital
(Continued from I’ago 1)
the new department a hospital auxiliary has been or
ganized composed of key people of the campus and
community. Already it has contributed supplies to the
hos])ital and aided in the spread of good will.
Well-T?aby Clinic, for j)re-sehool-age children ou the
cast and north parts of town, has continued to be a
feature of the out-patient department. As usual, the
Kisho]) Tuttle School of Keligious Education and
Social Work has assisted in making the clinic a suc
cess. Two students of the above named school do part
of their field work at the hospital under the supervision
of the diro(!tor of the social work department.
And so the work of Saint Agnes Hospital progresses.
Each day witnesses a step forward in the promotion of
human welfare as each person who services the
patients strives a little harder to give the best in time,
energy and prejiaration for the well being of the hos-
])ital population.—C. M. 0.
CHRISTMAS AND EPIPHANY
The Christmas season was filled with the true spirit
of the Christian Christmas, the central note of which
was the celebration of the “Nativity of Our Lord.”
The service of Holy Communion on Christmas morn
ing was attended by nearly all who remained on the
campus. The beautiful Nativity Scene tableaux were
presented in the Chapel on Christmas Eve, under the ^
direction of Miss Pearl Snodgrass. The dramatic club, ^
under the direction of Mrs. Julia Delany, ably ushered
in the activities of the season with an appropriate play,
and the choral club presented an excellent program of
Christmas music, including traditional carols and sev
eral numbers from Handel’s “Messiah.” Prof. Charles
E. Berry, director of music, conducted the concert.
Gifts to the needy were made possible through the
agencies of the Bi.shop Tuttle community service, the
Woman’s Auxiliary, the Junior Woman’s Auxiliary,
the Brotherhood of St. Andrew, and the Layman’s ^
League. In addition there was merriment in abun
dance for all those students who preferred to remain
on the campus or whose homes were too far away.
The Epiphany was observed as usual with the beauti
ful and sacred service which has been traditional for
more than forty years. The great illuminated star,
the procession of the Wise IMen and their presentatioii
of the symbolical gifts at the altar, and the communi
cation of the Light from the altar to every worshipper
through his neighbor, were the central ideas of the
service. The spiritual meaning of these, and the sig
nificance of the Epiphany, were explained and empha
sized by the Kev. Mr. Goold in his sermon. The offer
ing was dedicated to the missionary work of the
A goodly number of visitors joined in the service,
including several alumni who came from a distance.
The annual report of the library at the end of our
last college year showed a marked increase in the use
of the library, both in the reading rooms and in general
circulation. Several changes have been made and more
are planned in an attempt to meet these demands in
library resources and space. The Medical Library of
St. Agnes Hospital, which is our only department
library, has the services of a library assistant in the
afternoon. An improvement has been made in the
lighting system and a change has been made in the
card catalog. About one-eighth of the book purchases (
this year are for reference books listed on the Southern
Association check list. Several items of library furni
ture are needed and an additional reading room should
The library was able to display interesting old pic
tures of early days at St. Augustine’s during the week
of our anniversary. We are assembling at the library
all the historical material available and we hope fov
more gifts from early graduates.
Books and periodicals have come as gifts from vari
ous sources this year, including Church Periodical
Club branches of St. Thomas’, New York; Trinity
Church, Boston; Trinity Church, ^Melrose, and Am^
Arbor, Mich.; ^liss Marian Ward, Cambridge; Mrs.
Strobel, Oakland, Calif.; Mrs. Jackson, Brooklyn; Mr-
Kaymond Logan, Philadelphia; Mrs. Frank NelsoDj
Cincinnati; J". J. Shipherd, Bala, Pa., and Mrs. Haigh>
Albany. We are grateful for their gifts.