VOL. 9, No. 5 DKCKMBER, 19()2 DUKHAM, N. C
New Medical Center Library Emerges
Miss Ella Jones and Mr. Cavana^h work on the treasured Trent Collection
while an unidentified student enjoys a ([iiiet moment in the Trent Room. Ella
is the member of the housekeeping!: department who keeps the wheels turning
in the library.
The old Duke Hospital library is
sportin'? a new name—and more. The
new Medical Center Library has be
hind it the solid foundation of years of
earefnl ^rowth since the bejinninjr of
the medical school. U])on this foun
dation the new library plans to enlarge
its horizons to a seo]ie appropriate to
the recent g-rowth of the medical
center as a preat teachinjr and research
center. Ileadiu" the expansion of
the library is G. S. T. (’avanafjh,
former chii'f librarian at the Uni
versity of Kansas Medical Center. Mr.
Cavanafjh, director of the library,
professor of medical literature and
curator of the Josiah C. Trent (\)1-
lection in the History of Medicine,
succeeds Miss Judith Farrar, one of
the orifjinal medical center staff mem
bers who was instrumental in estab
lishing tlie library ',V2 years ai>'0.
When Dean Wilburt C. Davison
be^an or^anizinj;- the medical sc-hool
in 1927, library funds were one of
his first concerns. An initial sum of
ilil0(),00() was made available to him
to use for this purpose. Tin’oufrh
careful selection and shrewd bar-
"aining: the dean had acc\nnulated
almo.st twenty thousand books by the
time the hosi)ital o])ened in 19‘50.
An active Library Committee has ov(>r
the years continued to keep new
materials added to 1he shelves.
In 1956 the library was ;iven one
of the nation’s outstandinr collections
on medical history. Mrs. James
Semans donated the Trent Collection
which is attractively housed in the
Trent Room at the far end of the
Readinjr Room. This collection Avas
accumulated by the late Dr. Josiah C.
Trent and his wife, now Mrs. S(Muans.
It ('onsists of about 4()0() books and
2()()() inauuscripts—soiiu' datin^^ iiai-k
to the 14th century—containing virtu
ally all the classics that stand for
major contributions to medicine. A
"roup, the Associates of the Trent
Collection, has been formed recently
to add to this unitjue collection.
Over the ])ast years the medical
center has >'rown tremendously in its
role in the field of education, treat
ment and research. The need for an
enlarged, pi-ofessioual staff and more
conii)reluMisive services was recog
nized, The iipi)oiu1mciit of Mr.
Cavanagh and iiis staff keynotes this
e.xpansion, Tn addition to the new
director, the Medical Center Library
staff' now includes Mrs. Polly Miller,
assistant librarian; Miss Dorothy
Mueller, reference librarian ; Mi-. Emil
Frey, accpiisitioiis librarian; and Miss
('onstance McDaniel, chief cataloger.
This group of five professionally
trained librarians form the nucleus
of the library staff^ Hix other full
time workei's, ])lus additional student
hel]) is necessary to coin])I(‘te the staff'.
The libi'ary is now oi)cn ;ii)proximatc-
ly lO.") Iioui-s weekly. 'Phis includ(‘s
((’ontinued on page 2)