Duke University Medical Center, InterGom
George B. Kantner to
Assume New Duties
In July, George B. Kantner will be
moving on to new administrative du
ties in another branch of the Univer
sity after serving
almost five years as
Director of Personnel
for the Medical Cen
taking an early re
tirement from the
U. S. Marine Corps, returned to Dur
ham and Duke late in 1960 to assume
the position of Director of Personnel.
Some years earlier, he had served at
Duke as a professor of military sci
ence and tactics.
It was fortunate for the Medical
Center to have a seasoned and capable
administrator such as he to imple
ment a comprehensive job classifica
tion and wage management system
where none had existed. From this the
]\Iedical Center has realized many
benefits in intelligent utilization and
The Medical Center, as an ongoing,
growing complex of human effort,
owes a measure of its vitality to
George Kantner, who for these past
five years has been a source of ad
mirable and productive activity.
To acquaint prospective dietitians
with the educational facilities offered
at Duke University Medical Center,
the Department of Dietetics held
open house recently for students in
North Carolina universities and col
leges who might be interested in hos
Thirty-five students and instructors
from six schools were present. Staff
members were available to offer
career guidance to any student desir
ing it and to discuss academic require
ments with faculty members.
Five Retiring from Medical Posts
Five Medical Center doctors will soon be retiring from their present
posts. Although we are unable to give these men the lengthy tributes they
deserve, we congratulate them—while standing somewhat in awe of their
various achievements—on their respective careers in the medical sciences,
and wish them the very best in the years ahead.
Frank Gregory Hall (1923), Ph.D. (University of Wisconsin).
Dr. Hall, retiring Professor of Physiology, came to Duke in 1926 as an
Assistant Professor of Biology. In 1945 he joined the Medical School
faculty as Professaor of Physiology. He served as Chairman of the Depart
ment of Physiology and Pharmacology from 1948 to 1961. DiiHng his
career Dr. Hall has published 150 papers in the fields of comparative phys
iology amd aviation physiology and has co-authored three hooks. He aided
in the establishment of the Duke Marine Lab at Beaufort, and served as
Director in 1938. Dr. Hall was a member of the group which started the
Hyperbaric Program here at Duke.
Duncan Charteris Iletherington (1926), M.D. (The Johns Hopkins Medical
Dr. Hetherington, retiring as Professor of Anatomy, came to Duke in
1930 as an Associate Professor of Anatomy. Prior to coming to Duke, Dr.
Hetherington was on the faculty of Vanderbilt University School of Medi
cine, where he was an Instructor in Anatomy. He has published articles in
at least 27 professional publications. Included in his research here at Duke
has been the study of viruses as a possible cause of human leukemia and
Robert James Reeves (1924), M.D. (Baylor University College of Medi
Dr. Reeves, retiring as Chairman of the Department of Radiology,
joined the Duke University Medical Center staff in 1930 as an Associate
Professor of Radiology and Chairman of the Department. Prior to that
time, he was an Instructor in Radiology at Cohimbia University Medical
Center in New York. Dr. Reeves will retain his Professorship in Radiology.
He has to his credit 82 articles published in professional, medical journals.
William Banks Anderson, Sr. (1924), M.D. (The Johns Hopkins School of
Dr. Anderson, retiring as Chief of Ophthalmology, has been a member
of the Duke University Medical Center staff since 1930. Prior to joining
the Duke Medical Center staff. Dr. Anderson was on the staff at Mc
Pherson Hospital in Durham. He has published articles in at least 25
professional publications. Dr. Anderson will retain his Professorship in the
Division of Ophthalmology.
Julian Meade Ruffin (1926), M.D. (University of Virginia School of Medi
Dr. Ruffin, retiring as Chief of Gastroenterology, came to Duke in 1930
as Assistant Professor of Medicine, Attending Physician, and Director of
the Medical Outpatient Clinic. Before coming to Duke in 1930, Dr. Ruffin
was on the faculty at George Washington University as an Instructor in
Physical Diagnosis. Dr. Ruffin will retain his Professorship in Medicine.