TO SUPERVISE NEW EQUIPMENT-four technicians in the Clinicial
Chemistry Laboratory spent a week at the Technicon Corporation
headquarters in Tarrytown, New York, earlier this spring to learn the
operation of two new autoanalyzers purchased by the lab. The
instruments will permit technicians to complete 18 laboratory tests on 40
patients in one hour. From left are Vernon Elmore, Robert Hoover,
Samuel Hargraves, and Robert Booker, (photo by Dave Hooks)
(continued from page twelve)
On Physician's Assistant
Dr. D. Robert Howard, director
of the Physician's Assistant
Program, gave a talk on the
program at a Community Seminar
on Physician's Assistants in
Syracuse, New York, June 17-18.
Dr. Howard will also discuss the
PA program at a course in the 1970
Health Agency Executive
Development Advanced Program
August 2-7 in Bloomington,
Roy N. Crenshaw, business
manager of the Surgical Private
Diagnostic Clinic, was installed as
southern section president of the
Medical Group Management
Association June 7 at the group's
annual meeting in Hot Springs,
Arkansas. The organization
represents 14 southern states.
John M. Stribling, operating
room administrator, attended the
22nd American Sterilizer Company
professional seminar in Erie,
Pennsylvania, May 4-8.
Dr. Virginia Stone, professor of
nursing, was guest speaker at the
University of Mississippi School of
Nursing alumnae meeting May 2.
She talked on "Swapping the New
for the Old-Trends in
Dr. Benjamin F. Trump,
professor of pathology, attended
the Gordon Research Conferences
June 29-July 3 at Proctor Academy
in Andover, New Hampshire, to
speak on "Autophagocytosis in
Liver and Kidney Cells."
At First Meeting
Mrs. Betty Kernodle, medical
records librarian, and Mr. Kenneth
Holt, assistant director of the
hospital, attended the
organizational meeting of the
Association of Health Records in
Columbus, Ohio June 22-24.
(continued from page five)
School. He did his internship and
residency at Union Memorial
Hospital in Baltimore.
A native of Hackettstown, New
Jersey, Dr. Wright is a graduate of
Rutgers University and the New
York University College of
Medicine. He has been chief of the
orthopaedic surgical section at the
Oteen VA Hospital since 1965.
The three changes of status for
Duke professors involved Dr.
William J.A. DeMaria, Dr. Johannes
A. Kylstra, and Dr. David Lang.
Dr. DeMaria, professor of
community health sciences, was
promoted from associate professor
to professor of pediatrics. He will
retain his title as assistant director
for continuing medical education.
Dr. DeMaria did his
undergraduate work at the
University of Connecticut and
earned his M.D. at Duke in 1948.
After serving as a fellow with the
Public Health Service, he returned
to Duke as an intern in pediatrics in
1949 and has been on the staff ever
Promoted from assistant
professor to associate professor of
physiology was Dr. Kylstra, who is
also an associate professor of
He received his M.D. degree
from the University of Leyden in
the Netherlands in 1952 and his
Ph.D. in physiology from the same
institution in 1958. He was visiting
professor at the State University of
New York in Buffalo before coming
to Duke in 1965.
Dr. Lang, associate professor of
pediatrics since 1968, was given the
additional title of assistant
professor of virology.
A native of New York City, Dr.
Lang was awarded his A.B. degree
from Swarthmore College and his
M.D. from Harvard Medical School
in 1954 and 1958, respectively. He
was associate in pediatrics at
Harvard before coming to Duke.