TO SUPERVISE NEW EQUIPMENT-four technicians in the Clinicial Chemistry Laboratory spent a week at the Technicon Corporation headquarters in Tarrytown, New York, earlier this spring to learn the operation of two new autoanalyzers purchased by the lab. The instruments will permit technicians to complete 18 laboratory tests on 40 patients in one hour. From left are Vernon Elmore, Robert Hoover, Samuel Hargraves, and Robert Booker, (photo by Dave Hooks) PROFESSIONAL NEWS (continued from page twelve) On Physician's Assistant Dr. D. Robert Howard, director of the Physician's Assistant Program, gave a talk on the program at a Community Seminar on Physician's Assistants in Syracuse, New York, June 17-18. Dr. Howard will also discuss the PA program at a course in the 1970 Health Agency Executive Development Advanced Program August 2-7 in Bloomington, Indiana. President Roy N. Crenshaw, business manager of the Surgical Private Diagnostic Clinic, was installed as southern section president of the Medical Group Management Association June 7 at the group's annual meeting in Hot Springs, Arkansas. The organization represents 14 southern states. At Meeting John M. Stribling, operating room administrator, attended the 22nd American Sterilizer Company professional seminar in Erie, Pennsylvania, May 4-8. Guest Speaker Dr. Virginia Stone, professor of nursing, was guest speaker at the University of Mississippi School of Nursing alumnae meeting May 2. She talked on "Swapping the New for the Old-Trends in Gerontological Nursing." At Conferences Dr. Benjamin F. Trump, professor of pathology, attended the Gordon Research Conferences June 29-July 3 at Proctor Academy in Andover, New Hampshire, to speak on "Autophagocytosis in Liver and Kidney Cells." At First Meeting Mrs. Betty Kernodle, medical records librarian, and Mr. Kenneth Holt, assistant director of the hospital, attended the organizational meeting of the Association of Health Records in Columbus, Ohio June 22-24. 13 Appointments (continued from page five) School. He did his internship and residency at Union Memorial Hospital in Baltimore. A native of Hackettstown, New Jersey, Dr. Wright is a graduate of Rutgers University and the New York University College of Medicine. He has been chief of the orthopaedic surgical section at the Oteen VA Hospital since 1965. The three changes of status for Duke professors involved Dr. William J.A. DeMaria, Dr. Johannes A. Kylstra, and Dr. David Lang. Dr. DeMaria, professor of community health sciences, was promoted from associate professor to professor of pediatrics. He will retain his title as assistant director for continuing medical education. Dr. DeMaria did his undergraduate work at the University of Connecticut and earned his M.D. at Duke in 1948. After serving as a fellow with the Public Health Service, he returned to Duke as an intern in pediatrics in 1949 and has been on the staff ever since. Promoted from assistant professor to associate professor of physiology was Dr. Kylstra, who is also an associate professor of medicine. He received his M.D. degree from the University of Leyden in the Netherlands in 1952 and his Ph.D. in physiology from the same institution in 1958. He was visiting professor at the State University of New York in Buffalo before coming to Duke in 1965. Dr. Lang, associate professor of pediatrics since 1968, was given the additional title of assistant professor of virology. A native of New York City, Dr. Lang was awarded his A.B. degree from Swarthmore College and his M.D. from Harvard Medical School in 1954 and 1958, respectively. He was associate in pediatrics at Harvard before coming to Duke.