page has errors
The date, title, or page description is wrong
This page has harmful content
This page contains sensitive or offensive material
Click "Submit" to request a review of this page.
0 / 75
WINSTON-SALEM, N. O., FRIDAY, OCTOBER 3, 1941.
FOUNDER’S DAY MONDAY
FOUNDER’S DAY ’40
In chapel, Tuesday, Octobefr 29,
Dr. Howard E. Rondthaler edified
the students and faculty of the col
lege concerning the history of the
175 year old community of Salem,
which had its begining is London
when a . group of Moravians
gathered to consider settling some
where in America to escape religious
oppression in Germany.
Saturday night the social scfason
at Salem College will be initiated
when the senior class will enter
tain at an informal dance.
The seniors will ha\se as their
guests and escorts, the students of
the Bowman Gray School of Medi
cine. There will be dancing from
9:00 till 12:00 in the Kecrefation
Room of the Louisa Wilson Bitting
Building, during which time, seniors
with their escorts may go up to the
living room for refreshments.
CIVIC MUSIC ASSO.
Barbara Whittier has been chosen
as chairman of the students doing
advance publicity for the Civic
Music Artists. This work is in con
nection with the work in the second
year English Composition Class
under the direction of Miss Byrd.
The Civic Music Association has
presented Barbara with a ticket for
her work. Other students working
on this publicity are: Frances Yel-
verton. Ceil Nuchols, Helen Fak-
koury, and Mary Lib Rand.
Having decided to accept Lord
Granville’s invitation to settle part
of his grant in the new world five
men journeyed southw^ard from Phil
adelphia whefre a Moravian settle
ment had _ already been started, in
order to select a suitable spot. The
men arrived in EdeBtown, whicR
was then ihe capital of North Caro
lina, after a 17 day trip on horse
back through wild untraveled coun
try. According to Dr. Rondthaler
the Moravians bought 100,000 acres
at $5 per acre on which they made
three settlements, one of which was
Salem. This territory was selectefd
because it so closely resembles
Saxony w'ith its sloping hills, abun
dant rainfall, and comfortable cli
mate! from which they had lately
In 1766 Salem’s first tree was
hewn. Four years later the thir
teen original settlers had increascfd
enough to warrant the erecting of a
school and church combined in one
building. This building is re
produced in thcf Louisa Wilson
Bitting Biulding. It stood on the
present foundation of Main Hall.
Twice in Salem’s history the
Continental 'Con,gress met at the
Brother’s House across the Square
from Main Hall. During the Re
volutionary War Cornwallis and his
troops entered Salem by Academy
street demanding supplies for his
army. Neoitral and peace' loving
Salem was forced to comply with
these demands. Shortly after he
left Salem he fought in the Battle
of Guilford College.
Following the war the school
grew steadily. One of the few
(Continued On Page Four)
Last year’.s Founder’s Day was
indeed a very happy occasion. The
cornerstone of the Hattie M. Strong
Rjfectory was laid. Ready with
the trowel and representing Mrs.
Strong, w'as Miss N(?ttie Allan
Thomas and Dr. Rondthaler was
ready to tap the stone in place.
Standing, left to right: Mr. Brant
Snavely, Mrs. Thomas Farrow, Bis
hop J. Kenneth Pfohl, Rev. Gor
don Spaugh, Mr. Agnew H. Bahn-
son, Mrs. Robwt Shore, Mr. Clark
CALENDAR OF EVENTS ON
Monday, October 6, 1941
Executive Board Meeting of the
Salem College Alumnae Asso
ciation, in The Trustee’s
Room, Mrs. J. R. Cunningham
of Davidson presiding.
Executive Board luncheon in
the club dining room of the
Refectory followed by inspec
tion of the Refectory.
Classes suspended after lunch
with the afternoon free for
the fair, shopping, movies,
Senior class hostesses at a for
mal dinner in the Refectory
with the faculty, trustees and
•S'alem Academy senior class
as guests of honor. The Scor
pions will be hostesses for
demi-tasse served in the club
dining room following the
Miss Eleanor Welch, of High
Point, who received her Bachelor of
ilusic degree from Salem College in
June, 1941, has been awarded a
scholarship in the harp department
of the Curtis Institute of Music in
Philadelphia. This outstanding harp
department is under the direction of
Carlos Salzedo and is limited to sev
en harp students. Only two of this
number were taken in this year.
Eleanor was admitted after a com
petitive audition with several other
applicants from all over the country.
One of the judges was Carlos Salze
do. She played for this examining
committee two movements of the
Sonata in O minor by Pescetti, the
Cadenza from Introduction and Alle
gro by Ravel, and La Fille aux
Cheveux de Lin by Debussy.
Eleanor was a pupil of Mrs. R. B.
Guthrie and of Carlos Salzedo in
Camden, Maine, this summer. She
began her studies in Philadelphia on
Anotlier Salem graduate of 1941
to be the recipient of a scholarship
at Curtis Institute of Music is Miss
Sarah Linn of Landis, N. C., Miss
Linn’s graduating recital last spring
was an outstanding feature of the
commencement program. Miss Linn
is a pianist of unusual promise.
Last year on Founder’s Day the
cornerstone for the Hattie M.
Strong Refetetory was laid recalling
many such occassions in the past.
In the 170 years since the found
ing of Salem College its 56 acres
of campus have seen many changes.
The friendly and substantial struc-
tur(W of early days are even now
giving tone to the new dormitory
which is being constructed.
For one generation the school and
church were conducted in the Con
gregation House which is reproduced
in the Louisa Wilson Bitting build
ing for seniors. It stood on the
present foundations of Main Hall
erected in 1854. Main Hall there
fore, has two cornerstones, one
1770 and one 1854. It is the oldest
and largest building on the campus.
Visitors’ admiration of the un
usual educiitional advantages of
Salom girls instigated in 1802 the
founding of a boarding school,
Salem Female Aciidamy, by the
governing board of the Morv.ian
congregation at Salem, North Caro
lina. Rev. Samuel Kronisch was
Salem’s first principal.
The following year active mea
sures were inaugurated to erect a
now building called South Hall,
between the Congregation House
and Sisters House which was
erected in 1785. With its eye-brow
arched windows, tile roofs, window
stairs, dignified and friendly paved
halls, and deep arched cellars, the
Sisters House remains today as one
of tho most belov«d buildings on
Although South Hall’s,corncrstone
was laid in 1803 the building was
not completed until 1805. During
that time the school was held in
the Congregational House. Those
who moved into this house were the
principal and hi.s family and two
“room companies” each consisting
of two teachers and ten girls.
The cornerstone was laid with tho
words, “In the name of God, the
Father, tho Son, and the Holy
Ghost with feverent prayer to our
Lord that by this school, to be
established in His house. His name
may be glorified, His kingdom of
grace bo enlarged in this country,
and the salvation of souls of those
who shall be educated therein be
In the year 1810 erection began
on the then known Principal’s
House which remains today .as the
Office Building. Neighboring these
historical structure are other build
ings each of which represents the
devotion of alumnae and friends,
the growing needs of this college,
the friendly worshipping of a group
of buildings doing architectual hom
age and honor to the ancient struc
tures of a century and a half ago.
Misg Eleanor Stafford, who was
assistant in the laboratory here last
year and who is taking a course for
technicians at the Baptist Hospital,
left Wednesday for Philadelphia.
She has been chosen to do special
work with Dr. William Walff at
Philadelphia Ho.'ipital for two
months. Then she will return to
the Baptist Hospital here to work,
in the laboratory.