SALEM FOUNDED: SALEM FOUNDED: Z 541 VOL. XXII. WINSTON-SALEM, N. O., FRIDAY, OCTOBER 3, 1941. Number 2. FOUNDER’S DAY MONDAY — * FOUNDER’S DAY ’40 >1 Dr. Rondthaler Reviews Salem In chapel, Tuesday, Octobefr 29, Dr. Howard E. Rondthaler edified the students and faculty of the col lege concerning the history of the 175 year old community of Salem, which had its begining is London when a . group of Moravians gathered to consider settling some where in America to escape religious oppression in Germany. SENIOR DANCE Saturday night the social scfason at Salem College will be initiated when the senior class will enter tain at an informal dance. The seniors will ha\se as their guests and escorts, the students of the Bowman Gray School of Medi cine. There will be dancing from 9:00 till 12:00 in the Kecrefation Room of the Louisa Wilson Bitting Building, during which time, seniors with their escorts may go up to the living room for refreshments. CIVIC MUSIC ASSO. CHAIRMAN CHOSEN Barbara Whittier has been chosen as chairman of the students doing advance publicity for the Civic Music Artists. This work is in con nection with the work in the second year English Composition Class under the direction of Miss Byrd. The Civic Music Association has presented Barbara with a ticket for her work. Other students working on this publicity are: Frances Yel- verton. Ceil Nuchols, Helen Fak- koury, and Mary Lib Rand. Having decided to accept Lord Granville’s invitation to settle part of his grant in the new world five men journeyed southw^ard from Phil adelphia whefre a Moravian settle ment had _ already been started, in order to select a suitable spot. The men arrived in EdeBtown, whicR was then ihe capital of North Caro lina, after a 17 day trip on horse back through wild untraveled coun try. According to Dr. Rondthaler the Moravians bought 100,000 acres at $5 per acre on which they made three settlements, one of which was Salem. This territory was selectefd because it so closely resembles Saxony w'ith its sloping hills, abun dant rainfall, and comfortable cli mate! from which they had lately come. In 1766 Salem’s first tree was hewn. Four years later the thir teen original settlers had increascfd enough to warrant the erecting of a school and church combined in one building. This building is re produced in thcf Louisa Wilson Bitting Biulding. It stood on the present foundation of Main Hall. Twice in Salem’s history the Continental 'Con,gress met at the Brother’s House across the Square from Main Hall. During the Re volutionary War Cornwallis and his troops entered Salem by Academy street demanding supplies for his army. Neoitral and peace' loving Salem was forced to comply with these demands. Shortly after he left Salem he fought in the Battle of Guilford College. Following the war the school grew steadily. One of the few (Continued On Page Four) Last year’.s Founder’s Day was indeed a very happy occasion. The cornerstone of the Hattie M. Strong Rjfectory was laid. Ready with the trowel and representing Mrs. Strong, w'as Miss N(?ttie Allan Thomas and Dr. Rondthaler was ready to tap the stone in place. Standing, left to right: Mr. Brant Snavely, Mrs. Thomas Farrow, Bis hop J. Kenneth Pfohl, Rev. Gor don Spaugh, Mr. Agnew H. Bahn- son, Mrs. Robwt Shore, Mr. Clark Starbuck CALENDAR OF EVENTS ON FOUNDERS DAY Monday, October 6, 1941 11:00 o’clock: Executive Board Meeting of the Salem College Alumnae Asso ciation, in The Trustee’s Room, Mrs. J. R. Cunningham of Davidson presiding. 1:15 o’clock: Executive Board luncheon in the club dining room of the Refectory followed by inspec tion of the Refectory. Classes suspended after lunch with the afternoon free for the fair, shopping, movies, etc. 6:15 o’clock: Senior class hostesses at a for mal dinner in the Refectory with the faculty, trustees and •S'alem Academy senior class as guests of honor. The Scor pions will be hostesses for demi-tasse served in the club dining room following the dinner. DIANOR WELCH WINS SCHOLARSHIP Miss Eleanor Welch, of High Point, who received her Bachelor of ilusic degree from Salem College in June, 1941, has been awarded a scholarship in the harp department of the Curtis Institute of Music in Philadelphia. This outstanding harp department is under the direction of Carlos Salzedo and is limited to sev en harp students. Only two of this number were taken in this year. Eleanor was admitted after a com petitive audition with several other applicants from all over the country. One of the judges was Carlos Salze do. She played for this examining committee two movements of the Sonata in O minor by Pescetti, the Cadenza from Introduction and Alle gro by Ravel, and La Fille aux Cheveux de Lin by Debussy. Eleanor was a pupil of Mrs. R. B. Guthrie and of Carlos Salzedo in Camden, Maine, this summer. She began her studies in Philadelphia on S'eptember 29. Anotlier Salem graduate of 1941 to be the recipient of a scholarship at Curtis Institute of Music is Miss Sarah Linn of Landis, N. C., Miss Linn’s graduating recital last spring was an outstanding feature of the commencement program. Miss Linn is a pianist of unusual promise. SALEM SEES MANY CHANGES Last year on Founder’s Day the cornerstone for the Hattie M. Strong Refetetory was laid recalling many such occassions in the past. In the 170 years since the found ing of Salem College its 56 acres of campus have seen many changes. The friendly and substantial struc- tur(W of early days are even now giving tone to the new dormitory which is being constructed. For one generation the school and church were conducted in the Con gregation House which is reproduced in the Louisa Wilson Bitting build ing for seniors. It stood on the present foundations of Main Hall erected in 1854. Main Hall there fore, has two cornerstones, one 1770 and one 1854. It is the oldest and largest building on the campus. Visitors’ admiration of the un usual educiitional advantages of Salom girls instigated in 1802 the founding of a boarding school, Salem Female Aciidamy, by the governing board of the Morv.ian congregation at Salem, North Caro lina. Rev. Samuel Kronisch was Salem’s first principal. The following year active mea sures were inaugurated to erect a now building called South Hall, between the Congregation House and Sisters House which was erected in 1785. With its eye-brow arched windows, tile roofs, window stairs, dignified and friendly paved halls, and deep arched cellars, the Sisters House remains today as one of tho most belov«d buildings on the campus. Although South Hall’s,corncrstone was laid in 1803 the building was not completed until 1805. During that time the school was held in the Congregational House. Those who moved into this house were the principal and hi.s family and two “room companies” each consisting of two teachers and ten girls. The cornerstone was laid with tho words, “In the name of God, the Father, tho Son, and the Holy Ghost with feverent prayer to our Lord that by this school, to be established in His house. His name may be glorified, His kingdom of grace bo enlarged in this country, and the salvation of souls of those who shall be educated therein be promoted.” In the year 1810 erection began on the then known Principal’s House which remains today .as the Office Building. Neighboring these historical structure are other build ings each of which represents the devotion of alumnae and friends, the growing needs of this college, the friendly worshipping of a group of buildings doing architectual hom age and honor to the ancient struc tures of a century and a half ago. FORMER FACULTY MEMBER IN PHILADELPHIA Misg Eleanor Stafford, who was assistant in the laboratory here last year and who is taking a course for technicians at the Baptist Hospital, left Wednesday for Philadelphia. She has been chosen to do special work with Dr. William Walff at Philadelphia Ho.'ipital for two months. Then she will return to the Baptist Hospital here to work, in the laboratory.