This is the last
Salemite of the year.
We know you’re sorry,
But we give a cheer!
Tonight the musicians
So don’t be uncultured
And sit in the dorm.
Salem College, Winston-Salem, N. C., Friday, May 16, 1952
Rondthaler, Blair Accept
Positions For Next Year
Dr. Dale H. Gramley has announced replacements for two Salem
faculty members who are taking leaves of absence next year.
Dr. Howard E. Rondthaler will teach courses in religion for Mr.
Edwin Sawyer, who is going to Union Theological Seminary in New
York City for a year’s work on his doctor’s degree.
John Fries Blair, local attorney, has accepted a part-time teaching
The Faculty-Student Spring Con
cert of the music department will
be presented tonight at 8:30 in
Memorial Hall. Five members of
the faculty will give special per
formances in addition to the num
bers rendered by the 30-voice
The choral ensemble is directed
by Paul W. Peterson and accom
panists for the group will be
Frankie Strader and Lu Long Og-
Faculty members appearing on
the program will be Mrs. Margaret
Merriman and Hans Heidemann,
pianists; Eugene Jocobowsky, vio
linist; Miss Margaret Vardell, or
ganist, and Mrs. Joan Jacobowsky,
The concert will include the fol
Salvation is Created
Now Lovely is Thy Dwelling
Place - Brahms
Thee, Lord, Most Holy.
Sonata in G Major (No. 301)—.
Eugene Jacobowsky, violinist
Cortege et Litanie Dupre
Margaret Vardell, organist
Four Love Songs - Brahms
Was Once a Pretty, Tiny
In Wood Embowered, ’neath
Secret Nook in Shady Spot
No, There is No Bearing
w,th these Spiteful Neigh
Shanson Triste Duparc
oan Jacobowsky, mezzo-soprano
Choral Prelude Brahms
Vif, Modere, Brazileira
Sans Heidemann, duo pianists
Mlusic Margaret Vardell
Hr. Frog (Folk Song)
Valtz of the Flowers
Tickets for the concert may be
purchased from members of the
Choral Ensemble. All students and
faculty members are invited to at
Diagnostic reading tests were
given to all returning students
yesterday and today to determine
Which students will need reading
help next year.
The purpose of these tests is to
determine each students reading
fate, level of comprehension and
yarious reading skills. If the tests
indicate a need for help in this
®fea, a remedial clinic will be
started next fall. Incoming fresh-
men will also take the tests.
The tests were discussed and re
commended by the faculty reading
committee. Miss Eileen Smoke,
■position in the English department
to replace Dr. William B. Todd
who received a Fulbright award for
a year’s study in England.
Dr. Rondthaler, who was presi
dent of Salem from 1909-’49 and
who taught religion courses during
this time, will teach an elective on
Paul first semester. He will also
hold an adult extension course both
first and second semesters.
Mr. Blair received his A. B. at
Haverford College where he was
Phi Beta Kappa. He received his
law degree at Harvard in 1928 and
then spent 12 years as a lawyer in
In 1940 he did graduate work in
English literature at Columbia Uni-
Dr. Howard E. Rondthaler
versity, completing his M. A. and
all academic requirements for the
Ph. D. degree. He was assistant
professor of English at Moravian
College in Bethlehem, Pa.
During the war Mr. Blair worked
at the Institute of Government at
the University of North Carolina
and was connected with the U. N.
C. press. While at Chapel Hill he
did writing and lecturing in law
and local government and editing
work on the magazine Popular
Government. He was also active
with the Carolina Playmakers.
During the past two years, Mr.
Blair has worked with the Wins
ton-Salem Little Theater.
Miss Jess Byrd has been named
acting head of the English depart
ment for next year. Mrs. Mar
garet Merriman was appointed
head of the piano department.
Day Group Picnics
The day students had a picnic at
Reynolds Park last Saturday after
noon. The event was planned by
Sara Willard, president, and Bert
Brower and Sally Ann Hudson
were in charge of the refreshments.
The house presidents of Bitting,
Strong and Clewell were elected
last Monday , and Tuesday. The
new presidents are Connie Barnes,
Connie Murray and Sue Jones.
Connie is the daughter of Mr.
and Mrs. B. A. Barnes of Wilson.
She is a transfer this year from
St. Mary’s. She is majoring in
history and minoring in primary
education. Connie is a member of
the F. T. A.
Connie Murray is the daughter
of Mr. and Mrs. J. S. Murray of
Durham. She is majoring in Eng
lish and history. Connie is a mem
ber of the Pierrettes and has been
in several of their plays. She is
on the Salemite staff and is also
vice-president of the I. R. C. She
has been on her class basketball
and softball teams.
Sue is the daughter of Mr. and
Mrs. Waverly G. Jones of Char
lotte. She is majoring in socio
logy-economics and is working for
an elementary teacher’s certificate.
She is treasurer of the “Y” cab
inet and secretary of her class.
To Burn Hats
The annual Hat Burning cere
mony will be held Tuesday, May
20 at 9:00 p.m. Lu Long Ogburn,
chief marshall, will lead the pro
cession, followed by the Senior
Class and then the Junior Class.
After the two classes have
formed a semi-circle around the
fire, the Junior Class president will
make a speech explaining the sym
bols involved in the burning of the
paper hats which the juniors wear.
She then will lead her class around
the fire, and each member will
throw her hat into the fire.
The Senior Class president will
make her speech explaining the
symbols of the burning of the blue
books and will lead her class
around the fire while they throw
in the books.
After this, the seniors take off
their robes and caps and place
them on the juniors. The seniors
then sing “Moonlight on the Cam
pus” followed by the Alma Mater
which serves as a recessional.
Parks Is President
Plans for alumnae orientation
for the seniors were begun on May
13. The seniors met in the Alum
nae House, heard talks by Miss
Ivy Hixson and Miss Lelia Graham
Marsh and elected Betty Parks as
their alumnae president. Later the
seniors will select their alumnae
Steele And Lake Will Give
Dr. Julian Lake
Miss Lucy E. Steele and Dr.
Miss Lucy E. Steele
Julian Lake will be speakers for the
Old Salem Organzation Plans Restoration
Of Original Moravian Community Buildings
By Jackie Neilson
“How in the world are they
going to move the library to back-
campus ? . . . W^ here are they
going to hold classes if they tear
down Main Hall? ... We won’t
have any campus left!” These are
some of the comments that Salem-
ites have been making in casual
conversation about the project of
Old Salem, Inc., to restore old
Salem was founded on January 1,
1766 as the central town of the
Moravians’ 98,985 acre Wachovia
tract. Salem was built in the cen
ter of a wilderness, but in spite
of its isolation the Moravians built
a village of great charm. Their
water system was made of iron-
hooped hollow logs; they scooped | already been restored, such as the
clay out of the bottom lands and
molded it into brick for their walls
and warm red tile roof tops. The
results were unique, adapting the
Moravian and Saxony customs of
Central Europe to the needs and
the materials available on the
Out of 60 major buildings and
dwellings standing at an early date,
40 are still in existance. By 1810
the Moravians had built 12 public
buildings, 10 of which are still
standing and still in use. The
Sisters’ House (1786) and the Boys’
School (1794) are said to be the
oldest buildings in the United
States under their original roofs.
Some of the old buildings have
180th commencement exercises.
Dr. Lake, pastor of the First Presbyterian Church of Winston-
Salem, will give the Baccalaureate sermon Sunday, June 1 at 11:00 a.m.
in Home Moravian Church.
On Monday, June 2 the academic procession will begin at 10:45 a.m.
^and the commencement exercises
will start at 11:00 a.m. Miss Lucy
Steele, Professor of Bible at Peace
College, will give the principal ad
Dr. Lake, who has been in Wins
ton-Salem two and a half years,
graduated from Davidson College.
He entered Union Theological
Seminary where he received his
Doctor of Divinity degree. Upon
graduation from the Seminary, Dr.
Lake spent three months abroad
doing archeological research in the
Miss Steele is a graduate of
George Washington University
where she secured both Bachelor
and Masters degrees. Since her
graduation. Miss Steele has been a
college teacher of Bible except for
one term when she was a mission
ary in Brazil under the Presbyter
ian Church, U. S. When she re
turned to the United States, she
resumed teaching Bible at Peace
College in Raleigh, North Carolina.
Miss Steele is listed in American
Women, The Standard Biograph
ical Dictionary of Notable Women,
and is a member of the Delta
Kappa Gamma society.
Other Commencement activities
begin Saturday, May 31. Twenty
class reunions start at II :00 a.m.
Saturday, and at noon the class of
1952 will be inducted into the
Alumnae Association. An Alum
nae luncheon will follow at 1:30
with Dr. Dale Gramley as the
speaker. A concert will be given
by the School of Music at 8:00
p.m. in Memorial Hall, and a re
ception will follow the program.
In addition to the Baccalaureate
sermon on Sunday, Dr. and Mrs.
Gramley will have supper for the
seniors and their families on the
lawn of the President’s house at
5:30 p.m. Senior Vespers will be
held at 7:00 p.m. on upper campus
with Rev. Edwin Sawyer speaking.
Invitations from the institution
were sent out this week to over
3,500 alumnae and to the parents
of the graduates.
The Music Hour program yester
day featured original numbers from
the composition class, instructed by
The numbers presented were:
Introduction and Variations
Awakening of Forgotten Bells-
Poem I (from “Chamber
Music” by James Joyce)
Tone Row Furney Baker
Romance Florence Cole
Dawn Kitty Faucette
All Paths Lead to You
The Neurotic Mosquito
All of the above compositions
were performed by the composer
unless otherwise indicated.
Fantasia in G major .J. S. Bach ,
Betty Lou Kipe
Sonata IV (K 304)
W. A. Mozart
Tempo di Menuetto
Joan Elrick, violin
Betty Lou Kipe, piano
Waltz in E Minor Chopin
Betty Carol Johnston
Prelude in G Minor
Bonnie Jane Hall
Ballade in G minor Chopin
John Vogler (1819) and the Cris-
toph Reich (1793), which were re
stored by private individuals in the
1930’s. In 1940 the Colonial Dames
of North Carolina restored the
Fourth House (1767) and in 1941
the Wachovia Historical Society
restored the Salem Tavern (1784).
In 1950, Old Salem, Inc. was
formed with the purpose of restor
ing the original village as it was
in 1820, which consisted of some
20 square blocks. The organization
hopes to complete as much of the
restoration as possible by 1966,
Salem’s 200th anniversary.
In the Spring of 1953 Old Salem,
Inc. plans to stage a fund-raising
campaign in Winston-Salem with
hopes of raising million dollars.
Welch Gives Talk
Dr. Elizabeth Welch has been
invited to address the Speech, Dra
matics and Education Departments
of Wake Forest College. At a
meeting of the College Theater
group at 7:30 tonight. Dr. Welch
will talk about high school drama
tics. The title of her speech is
“Behind Red Velvet, the Psycho
logy of the High School Theater.”