MARK AND BOB
Published by the Students of Mars Hill College
MID - TERM
«st” ol. VHl- )X
MARS HILL, NORTH CAROLINA, OCTOBER 27, 1934
IRST COLLEGE BUILDING
^°“HAD ROMANTIC HISTORY
^^^rected In 1856 And Razed In
1910 Old Building Served
Through Civil War.
(By GEORGE JARVIS)
The first building of Mars Hill Col-
ge, which stood from 1856 to 1910
what is now The Circle and of
lea-dShich only a marker showing the
then^ation of the building remains, had
long, useful, and romantic exist-
ice in the history of the college.
"fiSThe building was a two-storied,
®^ctangular structure with gables, ap-
>'hei^oximately the size of the present
^^^'^Tusic Building. It contained four
.rge rooms, two downstairs and two
som^gtairs. The bricks wdth which the
som^ilding -(^ras constructed were made
^^'’’nly a few yards from the campus,
•^''^■ear the present home of A. E. Car-
theiiij,, interesting feature of the
^Viilding was that the stairway was
t on( Conitruction Defectire
The building was erected mainly
slave labor. The fact that faulty
hu«,aterials were used in its construc-
s anion is attested by the fact that it be-
houl^o necessary to replace a portion
drclef the wall. This defect in the struc-
swerire was dramatically discovered
elsonuring an exhibition, as commence-
‘Rod\ent was then called, when a part
Majf the building gave way.
Cab The building was erected on land
mse; iven by the late Edward Carter,
unds for its erection were donated
y people of the community, one of
le most liberal gifts being that of
e by the Rev. J. W. Anderson,
5 thil*® became the president of the first
futipard of trustees. In spite of the
; beral gifts the building was not
Jo upon its completion, and the
i Clayton and Shackle-
timep*‘^> Asheville, levied on Joe, a
jave 'belonging to the Rev. J. W.
jnderson, for the approximately
ggygl200 still due. Each of the mem-
g^jj^rs of the board of trustees, dc-
jjgjpite the fact that money was about
.le scarcest thing in the mountains
^ the time, assumed a share of the
^g^t, however, and Joe was brought
'tio^k from Asheville the next day.
Uted By Soldiers
During the Civil War the building
•as occupied by Captain Jim Keith’s
^^tail of the Confederate army, and
(Continued on page 2)
1 COJ Officers For Term
Lionel Hoffman Is New Presi-
e no dent; Harold McGuire
til After a short but very interesting
of togi-am, the Philomathian Literary
utubciety, on Friday, October 12, elect-
vasn'l Lionel Hoffman as next president,
he officers were elected for a term
u nt nine weeks.
The following officers were also
'ected by the society: vice-president,
arold McGuire; recording secretary,
rskine Plemmons; corresponding
J J^cretary, Glenn Bolch; censor, H. L.
art; chaplin, Eddie Lieberman;
nglish critic, James Reid; expres-
on critic, Ernest Symms; dues col-
ctor, Charles Woody; fines collec-
r, Wallace Smith; janitor, Thomas
—Twin; marshals, Thomas Fulk and
ajor Arrowood; librarian, Lindsay
incannon; pianist, Ralph Bowen;
^orister, James Stone; Grumpier and
ing retain their offices as treasurer
Y/jid seer respectively as they are
. ected to serve for two terms.
' iThe program which preceded the
ection of officers consisted of a dec-
mation by Jimmy Reid, oration by
•ancis Gibson, reading by Cleatus
intrell, special music by Ralph
)wen, and an inpromptu address by
The society has taken in a large
orf.mber of new members and is an-
ipating a very successful year.
The first building at Mars Hill College which stood on what is now the circle from 1856 to 1910; insert Edward
Carter who gave the land on which the building was erected.
Mars Hill Study Hall
Tutorial System Used Under
Direction Of Miss Allen;
Popular Resort For
The study hall at Mars Hill College
is becoming a distinctive institution,
conducted after the order of the best
tutorial systems rather than with
The study hall, under the super
vision of Miss Allen, is open each
evening from 7:30 to 9:30 P. M., on
Mondays and Wednesdays for the
boys and Tue^ays and Thursdays
for the girls, in Room 5 of the Ad
ministration Building. It is a Mars
Hill product, produced by the sug
gestions, constructive criticisms and
support of the college faculty.
All students are invited to enjoy
the benefits of the study hall. There
is no fee charged for this project.
Those weak in any particular subject
may attend regularly, but not spas
modically. Miss Ffierce has made it
possible for the young ladies to avail
themselves of this opportunity.
The study hall faculty is selected
by the regular professors from thosa
in their classes who show an under
standing of their particular subject
and ability to impart that knowledge.
As long as the high standing of the
study hall teacher in his or her regu
lar classes, as well as the progress
of those coached continues, he or she
may keep the position as study hall
instructor. To those instructing there
will be liberal rewards in the form
of exemptions from tests or examina
tions and papers, as the regular pro
fessor may deem wise.
(Continued on page 4)
Presidents of Mars
William Albert Gallatin Brown,
John B. Marsh. 1868-1861.
Pinkney Rollins, 1861-1863,
and June, 1865, to April,
John Ammons, April, 1866, to
John Robert Sams and Meri
wether Lewis, 1868-1871.
John Robert Sams, 1871-1872.
J. B. Lunsford, 1876-1878.
James Frank Tilson, 1878-1881.
William J. Jervis, 1881-1888.
Zebulon V. Hunter, with M ss
Helen McMaster, 1888-1890.
Thomas M. Hufham, 1890-93.
J. M. Cheek, 1893-1894.
J. H. Yarborough and C. P.
Adennas E. Booth, 1895-96.
M. A. Maury, 1896-1897.
U. L. Moore, 1897-
New Library Books Are
Popular With Students
10,000 Volumes And 70 Periodi
cals Now On The
Rev. Howard Brings
Two Services Daily Eagerly
Attended By Students
With an inspiring message on Mon
day night, October 22, Rev. Charles
Howard of Buie’s Creek, opened the
fall revival meeting, which is held on
the campus each year.
Mr. Howard is well-known among
young ministers of the South, espec
ially in North Carolina, having been
state B. Y. P. U. president for two
years. He is a lover of young peo
ple and delights in working with
Specializing in work among coun
try churches, Mr. Howard has been
unusually successful. Prior to his
removal to the student pastorate of
Campbell College at Buie’s Creek
(Continued on page 2)
Dr. W. P. Few Delivers
Founders Day Address
I Society with its institutions should
be created and operated for the bene
fit of individuals, Dr. William Pres-
I ton I’cw, president of Duke Univer-
j s.'ty, said October 12 at the Founders’
Day services held in the college audit-
. orium. ,
Speaking to more than 500, Dr.
Few paid tribute to those who estab
lished Mars Hill and other institu
tions. Many educationel institutions,
he said, are older than the nations
which they .serve. He expressed ap-
Iproval of the effort of Mars Hill to
give individual attention to students,
to give morality religious sanction,
to teach people to live together and
to think well of each other in such a
way as to prepare them for a world
wide brotherhood of understanding.
The F'ounders’ Day program was
opened by prayer led by Dr. E. Gib
son Davis, pastor of the First Baptist
church of Asheville, following the
singing of “Faith of Our Fathers”
by the audience. President Moore in
troduced the superintendents of edu
cation, pastors, and descendants of
Edward Carter present. He announc
ed several gifts to the college, one of
which was a gift of $530 which the
girls of the college had raised to be
gin a fund for a new dormitory for
girls. Music for the program was fur
nished by the college glee club and
orchestra. The closing prayer was of
fered by the Rev. J. B. Grice, pastor
of Calvary Baptist church of West
Asheville and chairman of the board
Montague Library has been the
mecca for hundreds of students this
year, particularly during the past
The reason for this added interest
to the readers of other than refer
ence material is due to the new books
that have been placed at their dis
Among the new accessions are
books for the new Business Depart
ment; Smithsonian Science Series
for the science department; poetry
songs and plays for the French club;
“The Adams Family” and “Grace
Whitney Hoff” for the history de
“Shadows on the Rock,” by Gather,
and “As the Earth Turns,” by Carrol,
are among the novels.
“Anthony Adverse” is soon to be
placed in ciiculation.
The University of North Carolina
has lent a case of books on the life,
history, and accomplishments of the
negro race by negro authors. Many
have availed themselves of this op-
portuniiy to read of the negro.
The library has approximately 10,-
000 volumes on the stacks, with 70
periodicals. There are four daily
pape.s and eight weekly papers on
20 Debaters Chosen
For 1934-1935 Teams
TWO $50 GIFTS ADDED
TO DORMITORY FUND
All Local Firms Have Contrib
uted For New Girls’ Home;
“Steamboat” Makes First
Among the contributions announced
for the fund being raised for the
erection of a new dormitory for girls
are two fifty-dollar gifts from two of
the leading 'business firms patronized
by the college and by its students.
These gifts coime early in the cam
paign from J. F. Ammons, well-
known Mars Hill business man, and
from the Weaverville Steam Laun
dry, which does the laundry-work for
the college and for the students. In
addition to these gifts, both say that
they are going to make further dona
tions in the future.
“So far,” states the main promoter
of the movement, “giving has been
100 per cent throughout.” This is
very gratifying to the students who
are doing their bit and to the ones
who are responsible for the move
ment and who are fostering it at this
In addition to the two large gifts
from the firms named, gifts have
been received from all of the other
business establishments of the town,
and all who have thus far contributed
have expressed a desire to give more
to the cause in the future.
“Steamboat” McDowell, one-armed
colored pressing club operator and
owner, began the donations from the
town with a gift of $5.00. This gift,
coming from a 20-year friend of the
coHege, represents a real sacrifice
and ably shows the spirit of Mars
Hill people whose willingness to aid
in any movement fostered by the col
lege is full-hearted. “Steamboat”
has lived in Mars Hill for years and
has been known and loved by hun
dreds who have been students at
It is understood that several of the
faculty mem'bers have made sacri
ficial gifts in order that the new
building plans may go forward. All
request, however, that their names
be kept from print at this time, but
to them is due much credit in this
movement. Several large gifts have
been received from members of the
faculty and others will be received in
th future,* according to information
given to the Hilltop.
14 Students Attend
Inspiring Program Offered Del
egates To 3rd BSU
Restriction Of Arms Shipment
Subject For Try-outs Held
Thursday and Friday
Eight girls and twelve boys won
places as inter-collegiate debaters for
1934-36 in the try-outs which were
held Thursday and Friday. The ques-
tino for debate was “Resolved, That
the Nations Should Agree to Prevent
the International Shipment of Arms
and Munitions.” The judges were
Miss Wengert, J. B. Huff, and Spen
cer B. King.
The debating teams will 'be com
posed of Judith Eller, Martha Glaz-
ner, Lucille Hartley, Georgia Ingle,
Edna Jabe, Iris Rabb, Dorothy Luk-
hart and Mary Simmons, Major Ar
rowood, Tracey Church, Robert Cost
ner, Charles Fisher, Carmon Greer,
Neil Hartley, Clay Hamrick, Wil
liam Hill, Lionel Hoffman, Raymond
M’idkiff, T. A. Morris, and James
Mel'ba Nanney and Jake English
were selected alternates.
Ph-ofessor J. B. Huff is the compe
tent coach of this group.
The third quadrennial All-Southern
Baptist Student Conference is being
held in the Municipal Auditorium of
Memphis, Tennessee. The conference
began October 25 and will close Oct
ober 28. The two preceding confer
ences have been well attended, but
this year all attendance records were
broken, 2500 being present. Mars Hill
had a fine delegation of 14 which left
Asheville Wednesday via train for
Many world-famed speakers includ
ing Dr. W. F. Powell, Dr. T. G.
Dunning, of London, Dr. George W.
Truett, Dr. S. D. Gordon, Dr. C. E.
Maddry, Dr. Geo. W. Leavell, of
China, and Dr. I. J. Van Ness were
among those who brought inspiring
messages to the students.
This conference is held “Once in A
Student Generation”, and it truly
lifted and inspired all those who had
the wonderful opportunity to go from
Those who represented Mars Hill
are as follows: Edith Baucom, Ethel
Hill, Ruth Yates, Christine Roberson,
Margaret Pattillo, Mrs. Fox, Brown-
low Hastings, Eddie Leberman, J. N.
Barnett, J. R. Thompson, Bob Cost
ner, John Wilder, H. L. Hart, and
T. M. Randleman.