Page 8-vSection VI THE PILOT-Southern Pines, North Carolina Wednesday, June i'i, h High Falls Dates To 1780 Arts Council Heis Great Impact BY JIM McDuffie Historians haven’t been too kind to the north Moore town of High Falls, making only brief acknowledgement of its existence or excluding it entirely from their chronicles of the county’s past. But High Falls, standing quiet ly and without the benefit of historical markers just north of Deep River on Highway 22, claims a heritage with beginn ings in the late eighteenth cen tury. Aside from farming the clay hills, the first activity in the area can be traced to the opening of William England’s grist mill in 1780 on what was then known as the “great falls of Deep River.’’ The mill’s operations were mostly local, creating a century- long lag before the community could benefit from increased trade and experience any degree of prosperity. The village recognized today as High Falls was started in 1904, when Thomas Woody built his spinning mill there. A cotton gin and new grist mill also were built, and soon the High Falls Manufacturing Company was in the business of producing “fine cotton yarns.” Like most mills of the day, the High Falls plant built a village for its employes, which included houses, stores and a new two- story schoolhouse. (The old school building erected prior to the turn of the century still stands at the north end of the High Falls bridge). Increased production at the mill led in 1914 to the construction of the cement dam seen west of the bridge. According to Thurman Maness, a native of the North Moore com munity living today in Robbins, “the spinning mill, grist mill and cotton gin were all pulled by ’98 Population Population of Moore towns in 1898: Aberdeen, 1,000; Cameron, 350; Carthage, 1,500; Eagle Springs, 250; Glendon, estimated 150; High Falls, estimated 250 people; Jonesboro, 1,500; Parkwood at that time had only about 25 peo ple; Pinebluff, estimated 250 peo ple; Sanford, estimated at 1,500; Southern Pines, population estimated 1,000; Vass, estimated 100; West End, estimated at 200. ■ Deep River at High Falls water wheel.” The mill store, grist noill and cotton gin building all were flat tened long ago. But the rest of the town looks much the same. The mill houses which were bought by families when the mill went into decline remain occupied today, and the mill plant itself is not only stiU standing but houses a new plastic manufacturing industry. Even the old dam is being in corporated into the plans for a new hydroelectric power system. Bill Smith Ford Dates Its Beginning In 1947 Bill Smith Ford Lincoln Mer cury has been operating in Southern Pines since 1979, but it’s the oldest Ford dealership in town. That’s because Smith bought an already established dealer ship, Jackson Motors Inc., which had been serving the Sandhills since 1947. E. Nolley Jackson opened the dealership and operated it until his death, at which time his wife, Nan, took over. Since Smith, who had owned part interest in a Ford dealership in Jerrott, Va., took over the dealership, the number of employes has tripled, to the cur rent 26. “Every year since 1979, we have had super substantial in creases in sales,” Smith said. A lot of growth took place last June, when Smith added the Lin coln Mercury dealership and a new parts and service facility. In December, new offices and a showroom were added. BY PATSY TUCKER Little did we know that 11 years ago the hopeful group of art lovers that gathered to form an arts council for Moore County, that today we would have such a thriving, active council that it is all the staff and volunteers can do to keep up with the activities. The original handful of people who worked devotedly and tirelessly never dreamed that the Sandhills Arts Council, (recently renamed The Arts Council of Moore County) would cover the number of activities that it now covers. To fully appreciate the giant steps taken in the arts, not only in Moore County but in the entire state of North Carolina, one must look back to the period following World War II, when all of a sud den people looked around and realized that the arts in North Carolina had been sorely neglected through the years. With the formation of the N.C. Symphony and the N.C. Museum of Art in Raleigh the people began to encourage interest in the arts and they began to see what they were missing. The opening of the N.C. School of the Arts in Winston-Salem was not looked upon kindly by some legislators who thought it a waste of money. Now the school is on a level with Juilliard and some bet ter known schools and its college graduates have a 90 percent job placement service. It has some of the finest teachers in the country and produces some of the finest artists. With the addition of the Steven’s Center, the state and the school can boast of one of the finest centers for the performing arts on the east coast. This bit of background on the arts in the state led to the forma tion of arts councils in the state, operating on a local level to coor dinate and promote the arts. These local councils were aided and guided by the North Carolina Arts Council. In April of 1973 a steering com mittee met at the Southern Pines Municipal Building to draft a charter and nominate officers. The committee was addressed by Sam Ragan, former chairman of the North Carolina Arts Council and Secretary of the Department of Cultural Resources, who ex plained the growth of arts coun cils and the movement in the State and nation of these groups. On June 6, 1973, the Articles of For ResuifS»..Usi Your Property For Sole With A Winner - Pineland Realty. We Seil the Old Fashioned Way, We Work At It, And You Will See It From Our Personal Attention. All Properties Are Placed In A Multi-Listing And We Prepare A Complete Analysis Of Comparable Past Sales And Current Listings For You. CONDOMINIUMS HOUSES PINEHURST COMMERCIAL/INDUSTRIAL Erin Hills Pine Orchard Lane 115 W. Penn. Ave. S.P. Golf Terrace Ridgewood Road m Lakeview Homesites in Pinehurst Live Oak Lone Lot 434 Unit 10 Lake Forest Dr. Lot 419 Unit 10 Lake Forest Dr. Pinemere Lot 47 Amboy Place Lot 674 Unit 8A SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD Pine Meadows Road Quail Lake Road wc Sandhills Industrial Park We specialize in commercial / in dustrial sales / Lease / property management with properties available in Pinehurst, Southern Pines and Sandhills Industrial Park. Rentals-Homes-Condos Property Owners... We need additional homes and con dominiums to meet current demands. Prospective Tenants...Call us for details of our program for long and short term leasing in Pinehurst. FOR EVENINGS & WEEKENDS CALL Pineland ^Realtv IQI MtS "IN PINEHURST— OPPOSITE THE HOSPITAL” 919-295-2411 PINEHURST PROFESSIONAL CENTER PAGE-CARTHAGE ROAD P O BOX 1521 PINEHURST, NORTH CAROLINA 28374 Tony Sharp Norm Steingraber Franklin Carr Joe Scott Fred Griewank Dick Pockmire 295-6377 295-4611 295-1929 295-6763 295-3328 295-3217 iieliiunst ■WIMEU Mils Incorporation for The Sandhills Arts Council were filed with the Secretary of State in Raleigh. Members of the first Board of Directors were Jane McPhaul, John Foster Faulk, Mary Evelyn de Nissoff, Sam Ragan, Patsy Tucker, George Garrett, Howard Broughton, Robert Stone, Billigene Gamer, Page Shaw and Juanita Dawson. In October of that year the first officers were elected. They were George Garrett, president; Asbury Coward, vice president; Cecilia Israel, secretary; and Patsy Tucker, treasurer. The Sandhills Arts Council was off and running and hasn’t stopped yet. In 1976 it became necessary to have a fund drive as by the end of that year the Arts Council had brought $25,000 into the area. Julian Long was hired as the first paid Executive Director. Today under the present Ex ecutive Director, Caroline Eddy, the council has boomed into a very large organization with three paid employes, 25 regular volunteers and list of about 200 volunteers who can be called on for special projects. The offices on the first floor of the Campbell House in Southern Pines occupy a good bit of the area and this year’s budget is in the neighborhood of $100,000 which includes a budget for the Perfor ming Arts Center. During those years the council had its share of struggles-trying to raise money, getting grants from the State and organizing volunteers. The programs offered through the council each year have grown larger and larger and more and more people in the county are en joying the arts as they never have before. Probably one of the largest undertakings the Arts Council along with the Sandhills Little Theater took on was raising the money to buy the old Sunrise Theater on Broad Street and tur ning it into a Performing Arts Theater for the Sandhills. After a tremendous effort the money was raised for this and the building was renovated and given a huge facelift and it is now the pride and joy of both organizations. Due to the encouraging interest throughout the county, the coun cil voted to change their name to the Arts Council of Moore County, as it is now called. the people in Moore County and bring quality entertainment, lec- It is probably one of the most with the support of the citizens of tures and teaching programs to successful organizations serving Moore County, it will continue to the people. Carthage Feibrics Adds New Weaving Machines Carthage Fabrics Corporation, a manufacturer of fabrics, has been a leading Moore County industry for 34 years. The company was formed in 1949 by the people of the Carthage area as means of creating jobs in the area. The group starting the plant was called the Carthage Investment Corporation and ground was broken for the plant in 1949 with the facility being ready for use in 1950. And when it did open in 1950, it was already Carthage Fabrics Corporation, maker of fabrics through its weaving looms. The Carthage group eventually sold all of its interests in the company to Carthage Fabrics. Since that beginning, Carthage Fabrics has become a major employer in the county. Today, more than 250 people are employed in three shifts. A modernization program is under way in the weaving room at present with several new weaving machines being installed. Those machines-the latest in the art of weaving-were built in Lindau, West Germany, and shipped here. German technicians at the plant have several of them producing fabrics. The others will be put on line this year. The weaving room superintendent, Lou Salyer, recently returned from Charlotte where he and six weaving machine fixers took three weeks of extensive training in the operating and repair of the machines. Samuel Goldfelder, Carthage Fabrics president, says the new Domier machines represent a major investment in the Carthage plant and one that shows the company’s confidence in local employes and their ability to produce quality fabrics. Carthage Fabrics is a major converter and manufactures fine fabrics for the best stores in the apparel trades. The company manufactures goods that sell in from the “high end to the low end” in the apparel business. Of particular importance are the sportswear fabrics manufactured at the local plant. President Goldfelder says his company’s ability to respond quickly to the demands in the market place is the secret of their success over the years. The workers at the Carthage plant prepare the yam, weave the fabric and ship it. Much of the material they weave is on special looms for special orders. By adapting to the market needs, Carthage Fabrics has been able to run steady and keep its employes working. President Goldfelder says good products, good people and longtime customers are the reasons why Carthage Fabrics Corporation has had a steady history of employment and progress in Moore 6)unty. Lloyd Kennedy is plant manager and Kay Davis is the firm’s office manager. Country Bookshop Began By Rounds In Early 50s The Country Bookshop was founded in the early 1950’s by Margaret Rounds, wife of Glen Rounds, writer and artist, of Southern Pines, whose books have been featured by the shop during its existence and whose high-stepping dog has been the shop’s trademark on advertising and stationery. The shop opened in the Rounds home, then in Pinebluff. It was in corporated in 1953 and later mov ed to the old hotel building, now replaced, at the comer of Penn sylvania Ave. and Bennett St. in Southern Pines. Miss Lockie Parker, a former children’s book editor, had ac quired an interest in the shop, re taining this interest until the business was sold to Mr. and Mrs. Cadwallader Benedict of Southern Pines in 1966-’67. In the intervening years, per sons sharing ownership of the shop or being active in it included Mrs. Margaret Bogle Richardson (now Mrs. John Beeley of Florida), Mrs. Barbara Peck and the late Mrs. James Boyd. Mrs. Rounds, who died in 1968, had previously sold her interest. Miss Parker is now a resident of Williamsburg, Va. Benedict joined his wife in ac tive operation of the business in 1969, after 16 years as associate editor of The Pilot. The bookshop has been served by a series of what the Benedicts call “very faithful and very competent” part-time employes, including those now active, Mrs. Verlin Coffey and her daughter, Patricia. Since the Benedicts acquired the bookshop, its volume of business and its stock have in creased about 10 times and they express their gratitude to their “many friends and customers.” OLDEST ROAD The oldest road in Moore County was the Yadkin Road across the county’s lower stretch from Cross Creek, turning upwards just east of the western line toward the Moravian Settlements. It dated back to what seems to have been an Indian trail, mentioned in records in 1754. For More Than A Half Century, McNeill Oil Company Has Served The Sandhills... And We Are Proud To Participate In The 200th Anniversary Of Moore County 1 1784 200 1984 y Me '■* Our Plant And Offices In Aberdeen McNeill Oil Company U.S. Highway 1, South Aberdeen, N.C. 944-2329

Page Text

This is the computer-generated OCR text representation of this newspaper page. It may be empty, if no text could be automatically recognized. This data is also available in Plain Text and XML formats.

Return to page view