The Waynesville Mountaineer (Waynesville, … /
July 3, 1941, edition 1 /
Part of The Waynesville Mountaineer (Waynesville, N.C.) / About this page
page has errors
The date, title, or page description is wrong
This page has harmful content
This page contains sensitive or offensive material
THE WATNESVILLB MOUNTAINEER
The Mountaineer's Roving Reporter Visit
Lake Junaluska And
Rogers Cove Section
Lake Junaluska Assembly is now
a separate and distinct community
from the adjoining old Tuscola
side, the Rogers Cove and lower
Richland sections. Lake Junalus
ka was so named in 1911 when the
assembly grounds were set apart.
This land, where we now see rest
dences, hotels, and other public
buildings, also that covered by the
lake, formerly belonged to B. P,
Howell, Frank Moody, John Turpin,
The original settlers in the Lake
Junaluska-Rogers Cove section
were: Robert Rogers, Samuel Fitz
gerald, Crate Morrow, Kindred
Reeves, Matthew Coman, Jeremiah
Liner, and Josh Fulbright. Bob
Rogers was among the very first
of these. As a young man he cam
from Fines Creek about the year
1825 and settled in what is now the
Rogers Cove. Mrs. Rogers, who
lived up ntil 40 years ago, was
96 when she died. All that sec
tion back then was a wilderness
Geo. Fulbright (a grandson) who
lives on part of the Bob Rogers
place, says he well remembers hear
ing his grandmother talk about how
the panthers would squall at night
and close to the house their tracks
could be seen in the snowy weather.
Bear and deer were plentiful. As
a means of luring the deer Uncle
Bob would place salt at a lick;
then, with gun ready, would con
ceal himself near-by and wait until
a doer would come along and so
make itself an easy target when
it stopped to lick the salt.
The original house stood right
near where Bob Fulbright lives.
The present log house was built in
1859 and later boarded over. The
corners were made fast by locust
The main wing of the Kindred
Reeves old log house still stands,
it being one of the old land-marks
of this county. Mrs A. E. Ward
(daughter of Rev. J. R. Long), says
she can remember how it looked
sixty years ago long before the
walls were boarded up. The hewn
noplar logs were very large and
she wondered how they could have
been gotten in place.
Samuel Fitzgerald (Mrs. Ward's
grandfather) first bought the land
where most of the present develop
ment is going on, from Crate Mor
rowall the land covered by Juna
luska Supply Company' plant, the
station, the Long and Ward rest
dences, and others.
The old citizens of this commu
nity are proud of the fact that
Tuscola early took a leading part
in the educational development of
Haywood cpunty. Tuscola Insti
tute a subscription school afford
ing: academic instruction, was
founded in 1855 by the Rev, Wm
Hicks and Rev. J. R. Long. It was
at once a success and soon became
one of the most widely patronized
places of learning in all this moun
tain country. Students were drawn
from as far as the Blue Ridge on
the East and Macon and Swain
counties on the West, also a few
A Blackboard Pointer Grows
Perhaps you've noticed the old
sycamore tree that stands over
Sam McElroy's spring near the
railroad trestle, Well that tree
has a remarkable history. It was
once a blackboard pointer and had
B R ICR
Brick homes are cool in summer and warm in
winter. Let us tell you why and how little it will cost
to brick veneer YOUR home.
ETOWAH BRICK BUILDS BETTER HOMES
Etowah, N. C.
Truck Deliveries to All Parts of Western Carolina
been used in the old Tuscola Insti
tute by the Rev. J. R. Long the day
it was stuck out by that spring
nearly a hundred years ago! The
Rev. Mr. Long was teaching that
day, and as it happened he carried
his pointer (the sycamore stick)
with him to the spring, where he
had m man at work cleaning it out.
The stick, which he forgot when he
started back to the school house,
was left sticking up in the moist
earth near the spring. . On going
back a few days later Mr. Long
noticed that the stick was begin
ning to grow; he leu it to see what
it would do and behold the tree!
The old institute building was
also used for holding "meetin's"
as they called church services in
that day. Mrs. Annie Francis
was at the preaching service there
the night of the earthquake
(Charlston earthquake of 1886)
Mrs. Francis said the preacher on
that night had prayed that the
Lord "wake sinners up, bring
them to repentance," etc. Well,
after a short while the house be
gan to rock and folks were jumping
ud and running out in wild con
fusion. One of the first to run was
the preacher himself . "Only Uncle
Hosea Mauney and two or three
others stayed in the house," said
Mrs. Francis. "Uncle Hosea cried,
Halleluliah!! the Son of Man has
cornel' and just shouted right on."
Today we find at Junaluska most
of the foundation requisites for a
good sized town water, lights,
good roads, entertainment, church,
two store (one a large department
store) and industries employing
more than a hundred and fifty
A fast growing concern is the
Junaluska Supply Co. especially
since the burn-out of last April.
Jerry ; Liner is now sole owner.
Though carrying no insurance, the
comeback was remarkable, the
business is not only just a big
store as the name would indicate.
There is also a modern builders'
supply house, fed in great part
unit modern dry-kiln, planing ma
chines , : and all the other
equipment that goes with a
first-class wood-working plant.
Housed in this same con
nected building almost a block long
we find a machine shop, a gar
age, and grist mill. Mr. Liner also
does contract construction work.
Buildingings recently completed by
the Liner Construction Company
are: Cogdill Motor Company's gar
age, Sylva; Garrett's Furniture
Store, Waynesville; and a resi
dence for Willard Moody near the
lake. He is building for himself
a large, modern filling station on
the lot between the highway and the
builders' depot, also just finished
or in the course of
Judy Garland and Her Ranee
Film songstress Judy Gsrland, 19, Is shown with Dave Rose, 80-year- j
old musician-composer, after they announced their engagement in Hol
lywood. They declared they would wed before the first of the year, j
six cottages for employees.
When the filling station and
garage (2 stories) is completed Mr.
Liner says there will be in all
units a total of approximately
35,000 feet of floor space or 810 of
A dairying business is carried
on in connection with the farm up
in the Liner Cove. The milk, butter
and cream is mostly sold through
the store. Likewise, the hogs,
lambs , and beef stock butchered
goes to Liner's employees nearly
hundred men and women in bis
varied business enterprises..
The Underwood Novelty Works
(wholesale) is another growing
concern. This plant is located just
above the lake on the highway.
Charles Underwood is owner and
manager. Establshed in Janu
ary, 1940, the business already has
32 employees. The floor space is
5.500 square feet.
The Hillcrest Lumber Company
nearby is operated by Charles
Underwood and Wiley Galloway.
They do custom and contract saw
ing. Here 14 men are employed.
A. J. McCracken is the leading
dairyman of the community. He
has built up his own strain of
grade Guernsey milk cows and is
construction making a success. We found Mr.
McCracken excavating for a new
upright silo. He is abandoning the
Wallace Ward is the purebred
Shorthorn grower, having built
up his herd from a foundation ob
tained in Indiana, Ohio, and Ten
nessee. The opinion of many cat
tlemen is that Mr. Ward has doubt
less built tip one of the finest
Shorthorn herds in this whole
Qther new buildings just finish
ed or in course of construction are:
S E. Connatser, 2 cottages back
of his filling station on the hill.
Gerald Rathbone, residence.
Mrs. Mamie Seay, four cottages.
Carey McCracken, garage apart
ment, C. A. Rauschenber, of Atlanta,
residence on assembly grounds.
Bishop Kern, residence in assem
bly (Guy Fulbright had contract
for these two houses.)
Hallet Ward, residence near his
Ben Medford, residence for him
self at Meade wf ord.
Robert Burress, residence in Rog
Mrs. John Moffitt surprised her
husband last Saturday with a
birthday dinner, the anniversary of
his seventieth birthday. Several
To Hold Bible
The Salvation Army will be open
ing a Daily Vacation Bible school
at Shelton Laurel, Haywood coun
ty, on July 1. This will be the first
of the season, and others will fol
low in other ' mountain centers
later in the summer.
Miss Mary Colton, sister of Cap
tain Thelma Colton, has had special
training in this kind of work and
will be in charge of these D. V. B. S.
meetings every morning from 9 to
Each evening at eight o'clock
revival services will be conducted.
Miss Colton will be assisting in
these services, and Captain Colton,
who was an evangelist before tak
ing up her rank in the Salvation
Army, will be the speaker at each
relatives and friends from Greens
boro were present.
Mrs. A. J. McCracken returned
last Sunday from Knoxville, where
she spent several days, the guest of
Mr. and Mrs. F. Y. McCracken.
Miss Edith Long is attending
summer school at Chapel Hill.
Thos. Reeves, who has been
teaching at Morganton high the
past year, is home for the sum
mer. He hoe accepted a tempo
rary position at Canton. Mrs.
Reeves is spending the summer
with her parents at Grand Haven,
t By Osborne S
her age and cwTJ
, -u uy a Bv
vear nlH n.
Creek 441 rm JJ"
and ownoH k i . . Ki
j jjomjj jj,
", Her official record mJ
viuciiucv I .Art a fi i
pounds of mill, on j .." 1
" i ciass A.
. Thaee morning and erj
ings will continno ,.!
and the public is cordiS
Having qualified as adj
of the estate of Emma D,
North Carolina, this is J
persons navmg claims J
esraiA ot cmI
them to the undersigned aj
vuie, jxortn Carolina, (
fore the 30th dav nf t,,,
this notice will be pleal
ui uicr recovery, All pi
aeDiea to said estate
make immediate paymenfl
This the 30th day of JJ
J. H. McDOS
No. 1086 Julv 3.1 i
The price of Dryco Milk in the ad
vertisement of Smith's Cut Rate Drug
Store last week was a typographical
error. The correct price for the 3
pound cans is $2.19 and not the price
in the advertisement of June 26th.
mar f ' tmww-- wr is. immmwr xwmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. mmmm
Quality Meats From Our
GRADE "A" MARKET
RUMP ROAST Pure Pork 1
16 SAUSAGE .
RIB ROAST BACON . . .
14 it ::6 LEG O' LAMB
ROUND ROAST ; 25 u
20 ib 7: LAMB SHOULDER
ROUND STEAK 16n
22n X : LAMB STEW
SIRLOIN STEAK " 8 ib
2Sib VEAL CUTLETS
T-BONE STEAK 24 ib
ft VEAL CHOPS
RIB STEW , : :
Ctt VEAL STEW
GROUND BEEF An
IS, - hjK;40
C II C A D C Ad
a v niii2
Jello 3k 2L5
BEING OUT OF THE
HIGH RENT DISTRICTS
WE SELL FOR LESS
FLOUR 24 b, 59
C O F FEE 15
COFFEE 2 .bs 25
SWIFT EWEL OR SCOCO r'-.ry- ::r Qfyr
rnraB 4 - go
46 Oz. Can v.V;.y.v':.'
Grapefruit Juice 2 ca.3 33
pisgah maid . , . . . ' " J 0
Salad Dressing 23
Pure Honey 5 b. 73
VD NEGAR s in 24
Open All Day July 41
E(eer RIason Lids 1
Balltljason Lids 2
Pinta Ouarts i',-Gaft
JARS 69 79A$a
Nice Ripe Fancy
Large Box .'
m nvn Arc e ditc
See Us For Feeds
SHORTS 75 lbbagSl'3,
100 lb pure Gray Wheat
100 lb RED DOG
Dairy Feed 16 per cent
Dairy Feed 24 per cent
Wheat Bran 100 lbs
Phone 88 Jerry Liner, Owner ( Lake Junaluska, N.
The Waynesville Mountaineer (Waynesville, N.C.)
groups preceding, succeeding, and alternate titles together.
July 3, 1941, edition 1
Click "Submit" to
request a review of this
page. NCDHC staff will check .
0 / 75
North Carolina Newspapers is powered by Open ONI. View system reports.
DigitalNC is a project of the North Carolina Digital Heritage
Center, the North Carolina Department of Natural and Cultural
Hill Libraries and our sponsors.
Background image: Grandfather Mountain,