_ e lew A
#The Hoke County News - Established 1928
VOLUME LXIX NUMBER 11 RAEFORD, HOKE COUNTY, NORTH CAROLINA
The Hoke County Journal - Established 1905
S8 PER YEAR THURSDAY, JULY 14, 1977
BY SAM C. MORRIS
The only comment we will make
about the weather is that it is HOT!
* * *
A couple of weeks ago we had in
this column an item about the
attendance at church services on
Sunday morning and made
mention to the fact that the beaches
and golf courses must have some of
the absent members.
Last week 1 received the
following message on a post card
that had a picture of the ocean
showing the sea oats, sand and surf
at Holden Beach.
After seeing your last week's
column, I thought I should let you
know that the Holden Beach
Chapel by the Sea has been full the
? last three Sundays. (I saw it.)
Thanks Kay for the card, but did
you see any good Presbyterians at
* ? ?
Mrs. John McKeithan, who lives
on East Prospect Avenue, was by
the office last week and had a copy
of a newspaper dated May 14,
1944. Now this in itself, is not so
important, but the place that the
paper was published did strike me
as timely. It was printed in New
Guinea during World War II. The
name of the paper was "Guinea
Mrs. McKeithan said her son,
Julian, had brought the paper
home with other military keepsakes
after World War II and she found
it the other day while going through
some old things.
? The paper was filled with news of
all types, but mostly National and
Mrs. Kathryn Walters Hutchison
of Jacksonville, Florida was
recently named the Outstanding
Employee of the Month at the U.S.
PH$ Outpatient Clinic in Jackson
Mrs. Hutchison is a native of
Raeford and a daughter of the late
Mr. and Mrs. J. A. Walters of this
city. She is a sister to Mrs. Johnny
King who lives at 117 Dickson
The citation stated "She has
been exceptionally competent in
her work performance and in
addition, she has mastered myriad
of intricacies of this particular
clinic's operation. It is here that her
contributions have been above and
beyond the duties in her job
* * *
H.R. McLean was by the office
recently and had an invitation to
the 60th wedding anniversary of his
brother and wife in Dunedin, Fla.
Mr. and Mrs. Neill T. McLean, Sr.
were married 60 years on July 8,
"1977. The invitation stated " For
reason of health a reception will not
be given. Best wishes will be
appreciated." The invitation was
? sent by the couple's daughters:
Lillian Green, Louise Brice, and
Mr. McLean's wife was the
former Esther Gorrell of Dunedin.
He was a son of the late Mr. and
Mr. Make McLean of Hoke
County. He left for Florida about
1911. He worked for the Food
Machinery Co. of Dunedin.
Other brothers and sisters of Mr.
McLean still living are H.R. of
Raeford, John of Aberdeen, Archie
of Clearwater, Fla., Mrs. Marshall
Beatty of Dunedin and Mrs.
Lawrence McCormick of Nichols,
Congratulations to this couple on
their (wth wedding anniversary.
? ? ?
I understand that Bill Upchurch
was winner of the July 4th Golf
tournament at the Arabia Golf
Club, who the other winners were, 1
f couldn't find out.
? ? ?
Clyde Upchurch was in charge of
the program at the Raeford
%iwanis club last Thursday night.
Clyde came at the numbers with a
double ? action program. First he
presented his daughter, Diane
Guthrie, who is visiting here, and
she sang some patriotic songs
which were enjoyed by the dub
(See AROUND TOWN. Pg 1 3)
NEAR MISS ? This mobile home on RPR 1208 was narrowly missed by a tree blown over in tornadic winds
Saturday. Several signs of damage were visible in the area along RPR 1208 and 1145. The winds and rain sweeping
across the county did bring a brief respite from the hundred degree temperatures. [ Photo by S.H. Aplin ]
Hiked To 5
Funds were approved in the
state budget for 1977-78 to give
Hoke County two additional
magistrates, thus helping to
relieve a shortage which has
resulted in overwork and 16
hour days for some of the
Juanita Edmund, clerk of
court, had requested one addi
tional magistrate, however, she
said Friday that Hoke County
was really authorized for four
magistrates, so the state action
had merely brought up the
allotment to full strength and
increased it by one.
Bert Montague, director of
the administrative office of the
courts in Raleigh, said the
paperwork would be coming
down to officials within the
week and the two new magis
trates could be appointed within
Starting salaries for magis
trates vary from district to
district, however, $7,800 was
allotted for each one in the
budget. Mrs. Edmund said she
already has several applications
The magistrates are appoint
ed by Superior Court Judge
Maurice Braswell. chief resident
judge, upon recommendations
of the clerk of court.
The additional appointees
will mean that all local magis
trates will be able to work a 40
hour week now, Mrs. Edmund
said. With only three, if one was
on vacation or absent, unless a
replacement was sent from
Cumberland County, someone
(See MAGISTRATES, Pg 13)
Hoke High School students will have an
unusual lunchtime decision to make this fall.
They may eat for free or they may pay.
The Hoke County Board of Education
approved a trial lunchroom policy Monday night
that will set up two lunchrooms at the high
school, one offering free "Type A" lunches for
all students, and one offering hamburgers, hot
dogs and milkshakes for sale.
Supt. G. Raz Autry said that the board
agreed to try the new system during the fall
semester. He indicated that there are other
schools in the state now using this plan.
In the elementary schools, all students will be
given free lunches and only ice cream will be
offered for sale.
In other items on the agenda, board members
approved the hiring of new personnel for the
coming year. New teachers approved included
Clyde Campbell, who will work at Hoke High as
a line coach and P.E. teacher; Susan Phillips,
who will serve as an interim teacher for Susan
Houston; and, Barbara Chittenden, who will
work at South Hoke.
Also approved for employment were Alice
Charles, maintenance worker, and Larry Mor
(See SCHOOL LUNCH, Pg. 13)
The state's share of the cost of
constructing a new National Guard
Armory in Raeford was approved
by the General Assembly in the new
budget, State Rep. David R.
Parnell (D-21st District) announc
ed last week.
S64.000 was appropriated by the
legislature toward the cost of the
estimated S464.000 facility.
Under a federal assistance plan
outlined in January of 1976,
Raeford will receive final approval
sometime after fiscal year 1978 for
the start of the project. The local
share of the cost is approximately
$58,000 and federal funds will
make up the balance.
A five acre tract of land was
purchased last year on U.S.
401 -bypass for the site.
The federal assistance program
is designed to replace older and
(See ARMORY, Pg. 13)
Once-Elegant Downtown Home
To Be Razed For Parking r Lot
The Raeford City Council voted Monday night
to raze the once-elegant Sinclair home on W.
Edinborough Ave. to make room for a municipal
With only councilman Sam C. Morris absent,
the vote was unanimous to purchase the property
for $39, (XX). City manager Robert Drumwright
said the city had obtained a 60-day option on the
property from the owners and the option expired
The money for the purchase will come out of
the special downtown improvement fund in this
year's city budget, Drumwright said. No estimate
was given Monday night on the cost of
demolishing the house. The city manager
estimated the costs of paving and lighting the lot
Capacity of the new parking area will be 71
Drumwright told councilmen that the plan is
to have entrances to the lot from both Elwood
and Edinborough avenues. The pecan and crepe
myrtle trees will have to be cut but the two large
oaks can stay, he said.
The stately old home with its Corinthian
column, built between 1903-1908, had fallen into
disrepair in recent years. It was one of the first
homes built in Raeford.
No timetable for the start of the parking lot
project was given by officials Monday night.
In other business, councilmen rejected a
recommendation from Drumwright to ban left
turns at the intersection of Elwood Ave. and
Main St. The street, which was changed back to
two-way traffic two weeks ago. has become
heavily congested at the Main St. corner at
certain times when one car making a left turn
holds up an entire line of traffic, the police chief
Drumwright urged that both left turns off of
Main onto Elwood and left turns off of Elwood
onto Main be prohibited, but council Clark said
it would be too "confusing" and inconvenient for
The council did order a no-parking zone on
Harris Ave. to extend 350 feet from the Magnolia
St. intersection. The action was taken to prepare
for the left-turn only lane which is to be put into
effect at the corner for the ease of motorists
traveling to the county office building.
In other street matters, councilmen agreed to
close W. Fifth Ave. between Magnolia and Main
St. to traffic between 8 a.m. and 3 p.m. at the
request of the Parks and Recreation Com
A summer playground program for youngsters
is held daily at the Raeford Elementary School
playground which fronts Fifth Ave. and the
recreation staff felt the traffic could be a hazard
to the children crossing the street.
The council rejected the bids received on
surplus city property as too low and directed the
city manager to negotiate with private individuals
or contractors. A total of only $400 was bid for
water coolers, a furnace and air conditioner and
other fixtures in the fire department, police
(See HOME. Pg. 13)
The changeover to a new trash
disposal service July 1, coupled
with a long holiday weekend,
brought on headaches to residents
and county officials alike, as
mounds of garbage piled up for
more than a week at dozens of the
container sites scattered around the
county and private trash collection
customers found themselves cut
Sanitary Container Service of
Lumberton, a division of Brenner
Industries, began county ? wide
service here July 1 under a new
contract awarded June 21. Pick -
up Sanitation Service of Raeford,
which had the county business for
the past several years, was outbid
on this year's contract and ended
service June 30.
County sanitarian M.R. Mills, in
charge of environmental health
service, blamed the problem on the
timing of the changeover and also
said the system was "left in a
I've had calls from all over the
county and I've tried to tell people
that it will just take a little time for
a new service to get organized. July
1 is just a bad time to put in a new
system. With the holiday period
and so many travelers out on the
roads, it just got real bad," Mills
"They (Sanitary) have promised
to get the situation taken care of
by this week. They'll be bringing in
extra trucks to get it all. I spent all
afternoon with them last Thursday,
mapping out these routes and
getting the names down for the
container sites," he said.
Fred Snyder, Lumberton man
ager for Sanitary, said that his
trucks had serviced all of the 119
containers by noon on Saturday,
July 2, but that because of heavy
use, many of them were filled to
overflowing again by Sunday. On
Monday, July 4, the crew had an
"We brought two trucks in this
week and we expect to have all of
them emptied by the end of the
day." Snyder said Monday. "We've
hired two separate cleanup crews to
get them in shape. There's a little
work to be done. Some of the
containers will be relocated, and
some of the ones that are badly
rusted out will have to be replaced.
This will be at no cost to the
county, of course," he said.
Concerning the 200 or so families
who were left without door to door
pickup, Snyder said he expects to
begin establishing service for those
customers within a week.
"When the other contract
expired, I went to Mr. Leach
(owner of the Pick-up Sanitation
Service) and explained that if he
was truly concerned about his
(See GARBAGE. Pg 13)
TRASH PILE -? The changeover to a new trash collection service on the first of the month, coupled with the long
holiday weekend, left many of the garbage container sites in the county in this condition. To add to the problem,
over 200 private residential customers were cut off from service temporarily and discovered they would either have
to haul their garbage, or live with it.