the HARRIS HERALP
Oniy N^gra Npwspappf in
VOLUME 2 — NO. 2
THE mums HEMID
$u miner resertf.
P >■■» M'- ■
HARRIS, NORTH CAROLINA, PERRUARY 1917
SUBSCRIPTION .$1.00 PER YEAR
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
3,010 PATIENTS IN 1946
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
★ ★ ★ ★ ★
^ it it it it
it it it it it
it it it it it
it it it it it
it it it it it
■ David Jones Becomes First Negro To Head Methodist Body
First Negro to Serve in This
u. s. Employment
Service Gives Its
Report For Year
Boston — Dr. David D. Jones,
president of Bennett college at j
Greensboro, N. C., has become the
first Negro to head the National
Association of Schools and Col
leges of the Methodist church.
Ills election to succeed Dr.
Charles B. Ketchara of Mount
Union college at Alliance, Ohio,
was announced by the associa
tion’s executive committee.
Other national officers elected
Fred E. Holloway, president of
Western Maryland college, vice
president; Boyd BcKeown, board
of education of the Methodist
church, Nashville, Tenn., secre
tary; and Hurst Anderson, presi
dent of Centenary Collegiate In
FOR HARRIS MAN
•Report Show?, That Unem
ployment Is Growing in
Camp Dies After A
JURY HOLDS MAN
IN WRECK DEATH
T. J. Philson, Forest City
Negro, Held For Grand
Messrs Othernell Harris and
Ervin Camp, students at A. & T.
college, Greensboro, N. C. spent
a few days with home folks re
Mr. and Mrs. II. M. Procter
it^ve aiinost iinisiied their new
house and will move into it be
Rev. W. L. Goode, pastor Hope-
well church spent Satui-day night
wftli Miss .Mattie McEntire and
Wilfort J. Camp is spending 30
days at home on furlough. He has
been serving in the European oc
cupation zone. He also served
about four years in the Pacific
theater, before re-enlisting and
going to Europe. Mr. Camp also
had the misfortune to lose control
of his car near Bethany church
recently and turned over twice,
luckily no one was hurt and the
damage done was small.
Mrs. Evelener Harris, Mrs. Car
rie Harris and Mrs. Lois Robinson
visited Mrs. Ella Mosley at
Grahamtown last Saturday. They
found Mrs. Mosley greatly im
We are happy to see the fine
weather that we have now, after
having had so mucli cold weather.
Mr. and Mrs. Marshell Shell,
Spindale, N. C. visited Editor and
Mrs. M. B. Robinson last Sunday.
By Miss Louise Jones, Harris
Co-operation is a wonderful
thing. Clo-operation among indi
viduals accomplishes what often
cannot be done by one person.
The early pioneers of this sec
tion co-oper'Med, and thereby de
veloped this from a wilderness to
a progressive section of America.
The Harris Herald represent, a
co-operative effhrt for the good
of all the people. With the pur
pose of giving information to ev
eryone about the opportunities
open to them.
The war is over and co-opera
tion along with sacrifice brought
victory to us. Let us step forth
and make an honest effort to take
a part and work hard to improve
conditions among ourselves and
We need people of action. To
help solve our many problems.
ford county and Harris commun
ity. He was also chairman of the
deacons board of Jerusalem
church for about 30 years, and he
was also chairman of the build
ing committee that built the beau
tiful cement block church last
year at Jerusalem.
His funeral was attended by
hundreds of friends from over
western North Carolina and sev
eral other states. The funeral wa^
conducted by Rev. E. 0. Bass, pas-,
tor, assisted by several ministers.;
Mrs. Bessie sang a solo. Cards,;
telegrams and messages of con
dolence were numerous, attest- ?
ing tc the high cDtecm in v.’hieh
ho was held. The floral offering
was largo and beautiful.
The deceased is survived by
ills widow, Mrs. Mattie Camp, and
Clyde at home, also Lee, Asburn,
Thomas, Daniel, Wilfort, Ervin,,
Cornelius, Mrs. Evelener Harris,!
Mrs. Odessya Lynch, Mrs. Susie’
Hodges and Mrs. Luvenia Wilker
son. Seven sisters, two brothers
and a host of other relatives and
Buried On Spnday
Marsh Carpenter, 74, well
known local colored man was
buried Sunday at 2 p. m. Funeral
services were held at St. John’s
church with the pastor, Rev. A.
M. Goodwin in charge. Burial fol
lowed in New Hope cemetery.
Marsh was a loyal member of St.
John's church and is survived by
his widow and several children.
He suffered burns some time
ago and never recovered. He held
the respect of both races in this
Rutherfordton—An analysis of
the operations of the United
States Employment Service in this
area disclosed that in the year
T Ti ,-1 „ TT . 43,381 persons contacted the
. J. II. Camp, of Hams, died | office in Rutherfordton concern-
January 15th after a long illness ing the many matters handled by
and was buried at Jerusalem Bap- the Employment Service. During
tist church, January 20. Mr Camp y®®*" the office placed 447 per-
was a leading citizen of Ruther-! ^67 of these being
veterans. 2411 new applications
for work were taken during the
year, and 2600 persons were re-
interviewed with reference to em
The above information was re
leased by Mr. Earle W. Justice,
Manager of the USES in Ruther
fordton, N. C., after making a
survey of the activities of the of
fice for the past year. Mr. Justice
further disclosed that the number
of active applicants for work lias
increased from 954, January 1,
1946 to 1080 on January 1, 1947.
This is an increase of 126 during
the year. The number of veterans
now actively seeking work has de
clined from 871 to 660 during the
same period. A large proportion
of those applications now active
arc skilled' and seuu-skilled per
sons, while another element of
applications consist of those with
no work experience, or those who
are partially qualified and whom
a little training will fully qualify,
in many instances.
The number of placements
made in local industry shows
that employers of tlie area are
using the Employment Service to
greater advantage. These place
ments range from skilled, highly-
trained persons to unskilled types
of workers. The office has also
promoted on-the-job training for
veterans and has given asistance
to the veterans in connection with
the many problems a’oout whicli
they contact the office. A Veter
ans Employment Representative
is a member of the staff of the
office and his special duty is to
aid veterans in all matters in
which they can he rendered assist
ance through the office. The of
fice has many specialized services
which it is equipped to render the
public. Among them being that
Just mentioned, the assistance of
veterans, and also rendering as
sistance to handicapped workers.
The staff is especially trained to
perform these functions and good
results were shown during the
year just closed.
If the employers will increase
their use of the Employment Serv
ice by filing orders for needed
workers, the service that the of
fice is able to render veterans,
handicaps, and other types of
workers can be greatly Increased,
as it will present a larger number
of openings into which these ap
plicants can be placed into gain
On November 15, 1946, the
USES was returned to State op
eration, and the Employment
Service is the State Employment
Service Division of the Unemploy
ment Compensation Commission.
FUNERAL FOR MRS.
Henrietta Woman Is Buried
at the Zion Hill
Mrs. Mary Wilkins, Henrietta,
died recently and was buried at
Zion Hill A. M. E. church, with
Rev. J. D. Gladden officiating, as
sisted by other ministers, Mrs.
Wilkins was the widow of the
late Dolf Wilkins.
Mrs. Wilkins was one among
the most respected and oldest
women in Rutherford county and
was for a number of years a
member of Zion Hill churcli. She
Was faithfully cared for by her
granddaughter, Miss Hazel Philips.
Mrs. Wilkins is survived by the
following children, Mrs. Ona Mc
Dowell; Mrs. Corine Sims; Mr.
Will Wilkins, several grandchil
dren and a host of other relatives
Died Jan. 2
T. J. Philson, Forest City Neg
ro, was bound over to the next
term of criminal court for a grand
jury hearing, by a coroner’s jury
Monday afternoon, following Wil
lie Boyd’s death in an automobile
Boyd, 21-year-old Forest City,
R-1 Negro, died in the Ruther
ford hospital January 23rd, of in
juries received January 21,st
when the car in which he was rid
ing wrecked near Union Mills.
According to the evidence,
Boyd and five other occupants of
the car had been to Marion ear
lier in the evening. It is alleged
that Philson was driving the car
early on the morning of January
21st, when it was wrecked nortii
of Union Mills. All occupants of
the car were taken to the Ruther
ford hospital for treatment, and
all but Boyd were discharged
Coroner T. E. Hi.jhtower im-
pannelled a jury, which visited
the scene of the wreck several
days ago. The inquest was com
pleted Monday afternoon at 4
o’clock in the court house. The
members of the coroners jury
were Russell Nanney, Horace Wa
ters, John Lail, George Bridges,
Forest City; Claude Jolley, Caro-
leen and W. C. Hightower, Jr.,
Avondale.—Forest City Courier.
FROM FOREST CITY
Negro Civilians Employed
by Army in Europe
Items Of Interest
Gathered In County
I GIVEN FOR THE
( YEAR OF 1946
Haywood Ray died January 2
and was buried at Webbs church
January 5th. A large crowd at
tended the funeral. He was a
member of the seventh grade of
Ellenboro school and was an ex
He is survived by Mr. and Mrs.
Ralph Spikes, his guardians and
a host of friends.
Good ski jumpers must be fair
ly level-headed folks, though
they’re up in the dir most of the
MAIL THIS COUPON TODAY
Please send me The Harris Herald one year
In Rutherford Co. ?1.25 Elsew’here $1.60
Enclosed find .$
City and State...
Send check or money order to Herald Subscription Department,
Harris, N. C.
Mrs. Bernice Cannon
Funeral services wore held at
New Bethel A. M. E. Zion church,
January 7, for Mrs. Johnie Mac
Hilton, of Charlotte, but formerly
of Forest City, who died in Char
lotte recently. She was the widow
of the late Luster Hilton.
She leaves to mourn her loss
three sisters, one brother, eight
een children and a host of rela
tives and friends. The funeral was
in charge of Rev. J. W. Hill, P. E.,
Statesville district. Burial was in
St. Paul cemetery. Dockery Funer
al home, Shelby, was in charge of
the body. .
Mr. 'Walter Simmons visited his
two sons Leonard and Grady in
Johnson City, Tenn., recently.
A car driven by J. T. Philson,
of Forest City and containing
four other persons overturned be
tween Rutherfordton and Marion
Friday, January loth. All of the
occupants were carried to the
Rutherford hospital. Three have
been released, Lee Carpenter,
Homer Robson and Albert Jack-
son, T. J. Philson has been car
ried to his home and the fifth
member, Willie Boyd, died.
Funeral services for Willie
Boyd was held at New Bethel A.
M. E. Zion church January 26,
with the pastor Rev. W. R. Bomar
in charge. Mr. Boyd was the son
of Mrs. Lula and the late Tom
Boyd, of Forest City. He is sur
vived by his mother, four sisters,
two brothers and a host of rela
tives and friends. The Thompson
Bros. Funeral home was in charge
of the body. Burial was in Gold
Mr. Gill Peeler suffered a bro
ken foot while at work at the
lumber plant recently. He is im
A birthday party was given for
Lee Norris Cannon and L. C.
Wright on January 24th, celebrat
ing their 5th birthday. Many chil
dren were present and several
gifts were received by them.
Mr. and Mrs. Henry Watkins
visited Mr. and Mrs. Asa Watkins
Mrs. Estel Green, of Knoxville,
Tenn. visited relatives here.
Frankfurt, Germany—On Janu
ary 1, 1947, a total of 117 Negro
War department civilian employ
ees were working in Europe with
the United States forces, Euro
pean theater, that Headquarters
They were distributed among
the various commands as follows:
Headquarters, U. S. Forces,
European Theater 46
Office of Military Govern
ment for Germany (US)..... G
American Graves Registration
Continental Base Section 9
Civil Censorship Division 11
U. S. Air Forces in Europe 6
U. S. Forces in Austria 6
Western Base Section 14
Third U. S. Army 3
Over one hundred of the War
department employees were men,
the majority of them being World
War II veterans who had been sep
arated from the service in Europe
and had acquired the civilian
In addition to employing almost
half of the Negro civilian workers
in Europe, Headquarters, U. S.
Forces, European theater, also
had n-Jiy among the highest paid,
they included a department man
age.-, ai: exchange manager and an
a.ssi.stant exchange manager, a
shop foreman and a lithograph
Two administrative assistants
were among tlie‘ nine Negroes em
ployed by the Continental Base
Section, in addition to a produc
tion expediter, court reporter and
a storekeeper \vith a CAF (Cleri
cal; Administrative and Fiscal)
rating of 6.
Among the 14 Negro employees
of the Western Base Section were
an administrative and personnel
supert’isor, a medical technician
and a storekeeper. Ilighest paid
Negro civilian employee of the
American Graves Registration
Command was an embalmer su
The majority of the Negro em
ployees in the-various commands
were clerks, stenogl-aphers ■ and
typists. Their CAF ratings ranged
from 2 to 6.
Civilians employed by the War
department and serving in Europe
receive a 25 per cent differential
in their base pay.
WINS HH ARMY
Member of Parachute In
fantry Unit Wins
Fort Bragg—Private First Class
Jimmie Jones, of Oakland, Cali
fornia, a member of the 555th
Parachute Infantry Battalion
won the 7th Army’s Lightweight
championship crown in a title bout
held here in January and has thus
qualified to represent his outfit
in the Golden Gloves elimination
tournament being fought this
The California soldier possesses
considerable boxing skill in addi
tion to being a hard hitter. He has
knocked out 18 opponents in his
last 40 fights.
In the coming months the box
ing team „of the 555th will tour
New ’ifork, Mas.sachusetts, Penn
sylvania, Missouri, Illinois and
GOLD HIE DIST.
IN FINE SESSION
Burdin Ledbetter. Presides
Rev. Sullivan Preaches,
Thomas Camp, well known
farmer of the Harris community
raised the largest hog grown in
this section and killed this winter.
The hog was killed at the Harris
brothers vat, and weighed 546
pounds when dressed.
The quarterly convention, of
the Gold Hill convention No. 2,
met recently at New Zion Bap
tist church, Spindale, with Burgin
Ledbetter, presiding and Rev. H.
Carter, secretary. Rev. R. H. Car
ter preached the opening sermon.
A model Sunday school was con
ducted on Sunday and the morn
ing message was delivered by
Rev. R. B. Sullivan. Miss M. K.
Costner presided at the piano.
Several visiting ministers were
present: Revs. D. A. Costner,
Kings Mountain; Stewart, Green
ville, S. C., E. H. Wood, James
Roberts, Beaty and Carter, Spin-
dale, and F. T. Williamson, Ellen
. Total amount of money raised
in the session was $25.05. The
next session of the convention
will meet with Mt. Nebo church
March 29-30, with Rev. J. L.
Eunice Blount Tuggle
A Christmas program was given
at Webbs school by the teacher,'
Miss Lynch arid the children. It
was enjoyed by all. . ,
Mrs. Amanda King is, visiting
her sister Mrs. Lela Stevens, At
Mr. Husher Long and Mr. Eddie
Roberts are ill at this writing.
Mrs. Willie L. Frederick is slowly
Mr. C. T. Roberts is home with
a discharge after serving in the
South Pacific. Everyone was glad
to see him home again.
Mrs. Cylinder Gardner is still
confined to her bed.
Willie Lee TUggle, Jr., .spent
the night with Norman Hill and
Mr. and Mrs. Tommie Wright,
Atlanta, Ga., spent the holidays
with his sister, Mrs. Jessie Laster
and relatives, Mr. and Mrs.
Mr. and Mrs. James Cheats, of
Shelby, were the guests of Mr.
and Mrs. Lemon Tuggle.
Margaret McDuffie and Nor
man Hill spent the night with
Willie L. Tuggle, Jr.
Mrs. Sarah Jones, of the lower
section of Rutherford county is
not only a subscriber to the Har
ris Herald, but she is also a boo.st-
er for it. Relatives of hers in
three sections of the United States
are subscribing for the Herald be
cause of her interest and encour
Eunice Blount Tuggle, staff cor
respondent of Harris Herald from
Ellenboro, is fast becoming one of
among the many leading corre
spondents of the Herald. She is
not only prompt in her corre
spondence and news, but she is
also securing some subscribers,
and boosting the^Herald whenever
Miss Pauline Watkins, Forest
City, was married" December 29th
to Mr. Furman Foster, of Spin-
dale. Mrs. Foster is. the daughter
of Mr. and Mrs. Asa Watkins, For
est City. Mr. Foster Is a brick-
mason and he and Mrs. Foster arc
at homo with his parents in Spin-
Prof. II. H. Hudson, Alexander,
supervisor of the Rutherford and
Polk county singing convention
and also supervisor of the Union
Silver Circle convention renders
efficient service to the choirs and
conventions of this section of
Western North Carolina. He is
also in great demand as a singing'
of 1833 Days Service
i Given Negro Patients
Patients Spent Total 17,520
Days in Hospital
Shop Now Open
R. C. Deal, formerly of Green
ville, S. C., opened the Southern
Do-Nut Shop, 325 E. Main St., last
Saturday, in the building formerly
occupied by Home Finance Co.
Mr. Deal is originally from Kings
port, Tenn., but has been in busi
ness in Hickory an^^Greenville for
a number of year.^
Killed Many Hogs
The Harris brothers, Goler and
Booker T. have had fine success
ith their hog killing this winter,
having killed over one hundred
and sixty hogs (160) and the sea
son not over yet.
We are hoping that you will
join us in the celebration of
Negro History Week that began
February 9, 1947. The theme for
the year is “Democracy Possible
Only Through Brotherhood.” His
tory -does not show that democ
racy has ever been attained by
such methods as we are using tO'
day. We are holding conferences
and pa.ssipg resolutions and de,
ciding by a majority , what shall
be done or what shall not be
done without laying a foundation
on which we can build a new
structure. What the representa
tives of the nations are now doing
may be destroyed overnight and
soon forgotten in the mad rush
for more selfish gains. The thing
for which we should now be
working is brotherhood. People
never live together in peace and
will never keep the peace with
C. G. WOODSON,
Director, Association of
the Study of Negro
Life and History.
—The New South
Appearing at a theater, Stalin
we read, was “thunderously ap
plauded.” Naturally, since he’s
the whole show in Moscow.
Cold Hill Sunday School
Conveutiott Meets At BHonbon
The quarterly Sunday school
convention met recently at
Webbs’ First Baptist church, El
lenboro, with Mr. Plato Bridges,
presiding and Mrs. Lillie M.
Mayse, secretary. The Saturday
afternoon session was well attend
ed with many helpful ideas
brought to us by several speakers.
The following churches enrolled
with $1.00: Friendship, Jerusalem,
Webb’s First Baptist, White Oak
Springs and Oak Grove.
The convention discussed the
possibilities of having a Bible
school. The proper officials will
be seen about it. Teachers were
elected for the school that con
ducted in the afternoon.
A union Sunday school was con
ducted Sunday that was enjoyable
to all. A fine sermon was preached
persons enrolled with $1.00: Bros.
Plato Bridges, R. B. Blanton, Rev.
Barner, J. Y. Brooks and James
L. Jones. With 50c: Bros. Fuller,
S. B. McKinney, Alfonso Bridges
and for 25c, Mrs. Ada McKinney,
Miss Lynell Jones, Mr. Bubble
Carson, Mr. James L. Jones, Mrs.
Bridges, Miss Gardner, John
Husher and Mrs. Laster. Total
amount $12.00; total amount
raised in the convention, $24.64.
The following money was paid
out. President $4.00; vice-presi
dent $4.00; secretary $4.00; treas
urer $1.00; section $1.00; cor. sec.
$1.00; sermon $3.00.
Balance in treasury $43.21. The
next convention will meet with
White Oak Springs Baptist
church, Hollis, Saturday before
the 5th Sunday in March. Bene-
by the pastor, then the following j diction and dismissal.
The annual report of the Ruth
erford Hospital for the year 1946
show.s that there were cared for
in the hospital 2,763 white and
247 colored patients, a total of 3,-
010 for the year, says Dr. M. H.
Biggs. The number of days of
care of these patients, including
newborn, was 15,687 for white pa
tients and 1,833 for colored pa
tients, or a total of 17,520 days
for the year, he .says.
In. the maternity department
there were born 367 white and 25
colored babie.s, a total of 392 new
In the out-patient department
there were received G,6.59 new pa
tients and 7,374 old patients, mak
ing a total number of visits to
this department of 14,033. In this
department tiiero were performed
In the X-ray department there
Were received 1,396 patients and
2,849 films and fluoro.scopic exam
inations were made.
In the Radium department
there were received' 586 patients
and the number of treatments
given wa.s 783.
'The total nimiber of examina
tions'rriSdc in the laboratory was
The combined .structural bed
capacity of the liospital is 59, in
cluding white ami colored. In Jan
uary . 1947 the daily average num
ber of patients wa,s05, which rep
resents over 93% occupancy.
On one day recently there were
ip the hospital 70 patients; 10',o
above the rated bed capacity, says
Mrs. Earline Whiteside
Watch night meeting was held
at the home of Mr. Charlie Latti-
more, for New "Vernon church.
Rev. Surratt preached a fine
sermon at New Vernon church re
cently. A song service was also
rendered by the Glee club led by
Mrs. Hester Brown. Also a topic
was discussed “What Can We Do
to Put More Christianity Into
Our Young People.” Mr. Edgerton
led the discussion and Rev. Bur
gess also spoke on the topic.
A delightful reception was held
recently at the home of Mrs.
Mary Wray. Those present were
Rev. W. R. Bomar; Rev. C. G. Mc
Kinney; Mr. and Mrs. Jim Martin;
Mr. McKinnIey Twitty; Mrs. Wade
Hill; Mrs. Earline Whiteside and
daughter, Emma; and Mr. Harri
son Procter, Harris. Mr. and Mrs.
G. W. Foster and daughter and
Mr. Charlie Hill, Knoxville. Tenn.;
Mrs. Nora Hamilton and daugh
ter, Forest City; and Mrs. Creola
Foster, Youngstown, Ohio.
The children of Mr. and Mrs.
Mat Bi'ooks (white) gave some
fine gifts to Mrs. Mary Wray for
her two years service. The gifts
included a rocking chair, a hand
kerchief and some gloves.
Mr. and Mrs. Fred Lawrence;
and Mr. Spurgeon Reil spent the
night recently with Mr. and Mrs.
Mr. and Mrs. Lemuel Graham
and children, of Washington, D.
C. visited Mrs. Graham’s parents,
Mr. and Mrs. Monroe Brown.
Mrs. Minnie Varner has been
visiting her daughter and son-in-
law Mr. and Mrs. Wells Eaves, in
Haynes Grove church is getting
$long nicely. We have a wonder
ful Bible class and Sunday school.
Our enrollment is 75. Mr. E. 0.
Ramrick is superintendent and
Aible teacher. Rev. E. W. Bonner,
of Gaffney, S. C. is pastor.