Vol. XXXVII OCTOBER-XOVEMBEB, 1931 jfo. 1
CONFERENCE OF DEANS OF WOMEN
On Saturday, ISTovember 14th, St. Augustine’s
was host to a regional conference of twenty-six
cleans and advisers of women and girls, sponsored
by the local College Alumnae Club, of which !Mrs.
Holmes, a member of our staff, is president. The
purpose of the conference was to discuss ways and
means for raising the general cultural atmosphere
on school campuses, to attempt to find out how
other schools and colleges meet and solve their
various social problems, to receive inspiration and
expert advise on problems common to all, from
workers recognized as authorities in their fields,
and to create greater interest in the national con
ference which will hold its fourth annual session
this year at Tuskegee.
After the opening addresses of welcome by Mr.
Goold, our own president, and Mr. JTelson, presi
dent of Shaw University, and a report on the third
national conference, held at Talladega last March,
Miss Whiting, dean of women at Virginia State
College, Petersburg, Va., read a splendid paper
on “The Function of the Dean of Women.” This
was especially appreciated because of the many
years of successful work Miss Whiting has had in
that field. The morning session was concluded with
a round table discussion on the advantages and
disadvantages of sororities on the campus.
Miss Kuth Rush, dean of women at Durham
State College, Durham, N. C., in her paper on
“The Dean’s Responsibility for Educational and
Vocational Guidance” placed a great responsibility
on all advisers of women for intelligent guidance
iji aiding girls to choose a vocation and to select
the school or college that offers the greatest oppor
tunities for preparation for the chosen vocation.
She said that both educational and vocational
guidance should begin with the preparatory school
for tliose seeking college training, and with the
?lementary school for those selecting the high
school best suiting their needs. The guidance
should begin in the freshman year, not in the
Senior year, thus insuring satisfactory preparation
for the field selected.
The conference sent resolutions on the tragic
passing of Miss Juliette Derricotte, late dean of
women at Fisk University, to Fisk and to the
^atioiuil Y. W. C. A., in which organization she
was for many years a very valued worker. The
members of the conference expressed themselves
as greatly enriched by their attendance at the con
ference, and much pleased with the hospitality
shown them l)y St. Augustine’s. M.C.L.
Another evidence of physical growth at St.
Augustine’s College is the new quarters of the
Science Department. During the summer, the
building, which was originally used for practice
teaching in the elementary grades, was completely
remodeled to take care of the rapidly increasing
enrollment in the Biology and Chemistry courses.
These new quarters that are now designated as
the Science Building, are well adapted for Science
teaching. The building is easily accessible from
the classrooms of the Hunter Building. It is a two-
story brick structure covered on the northern and
western exposures with ivy and fox grape vines,
the habitation of many of the campus birds.
The first floor quarters the Biology Department.
In the wide entrance hall stands a large museum
case containing exhibits of the Science Club. Large
glass panelled doors lead into the Biological labo
ratory which at once gives the imjiression of a well
lighted, airy, and commodious workshop. The
numerous charts, models, cabinets, work tables,
terraria, aquaria, and living plants, as well as the
stuffed and bottled specimens accentuate the type
of scientific training attempted.
The second floor is divided into three rooms. A
small but well lighted room serves as a stock room
for the chemical equipment. The second room is
a spacious rectangular room used as a lecture and
recitation room. This room is equipped with
blackboards, movable chairs, a lecture-demonstra-
tion table, and a display cabinet for exhibits of
Chemistry. The third room is the Chemical labo
ratory having an entire eastern exposure. The
students’ desks and fume closet which were made
in the school shop, give this room the appearance
of a veritable workshop. A.P.C.
The Raleigh Graduate Chapter of the Alpha
Kappa Alpha Sorority, the oldest American Greek
Letter Sorority for Kegro Women, awards each
year a fifty-dollar scholarship for College study, to
a girl graduating from the Raleigh Public High
School. The aw’ard is made on the basis of charac
ter, scholarship, service and general worthiness.
The awards for 1930 and 1931 were made to
Eva Lucas and Eliza A. Morgan, respectively,
both of whom are students in St. Augustine’s Col
lege. Both young women W’ere formally presented
to the student body in October by the head of the
chapter, Mrs. Eva M. Holmes.